biostat phd eval

Hi all,
I'm an undergraduate student right now and I'd really appreciate if anyone could provide ideas on some biostat phd programs that would be good for me.

Undergraduate School: University of Washington
Major: Mathematics and Statistics
GPA: 3.79 overall; 3.94 for math and 3.83 for stat
GRE: 168 Quant, 150 Verbal (this is my main concern)
Recommendation letters: 1 from a math professor, 1 from a stat professor, 1 from a biostat professor
Research: currently working on a project with a professor from biostat department

Thanks a lot!
  • rep_up.png
  •  
  • rep_down.png
  •  

Your verbal score shouldn't hold you back from anything. Are you planning on taking the math subject GRE also?

Thanks!

Actually, I don't think I'll have time to prepare the subject GRE, perhaps I should take the general test again.

Yeah, the verbal GRE score really isn't a big deal. If you're a U.S. citizen, you'll be competitive for PhD admission at every program in the country. If not, Harvard/Hopkins could be tough to crack but I'm guessing you're still pretty much a lock at UW and are in a very good position for everywhere else.

Yeah, the verbal GRE score really isn't a big deal. If you're a U.S. citizen, you'll be competitive for PhD admission at every program in the country. If not, Harvard/Hopkins could be tough to crack but I'm guessing you're still pretty much a lock at UW and are in a very good position for everywhere else.

I think the OP is in good shape too but not quite this good. Are you basing this on having a Math & Stats degree from UW? GPA of 3.79 is good but not great, so I wonder if the poster might blend in among the other apps. Then again the research project in biostats is a great way to get noticed.

I guess I basically agree with cyberwulf in that you have a good shot at top programs, and definitely at UW. Just remember there might be 500 applicants to UW and Harvard, so you need to have great credentials and put together a solid application. Good luck!

When I say someone is "competitive for PhD admission", I mean they are a strong candidate who will be given serious consideration. Of course, not all strong, seriously considered candidates are ultimately offered admission but many are. I stand by my evaluation of the OP's chances; while their overall GPA is 3.8, their math/stat GPA is ~3.9, which is a very strong record coming from a major state university like UW. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not quite as optimistic as cyberwulf. If you have three rock-solid recommendations, sure, but it may be tougher if your recommenders don't know you as well. One way or another your chances at admission to a top-ranked department are good, but I would add some "safeties" (at the point where such a thing exists in PhD admissions) if you aren't sure how enthusiastic your recommenders will be.