Any chance of a Math Ph.D?

I went to Harvard as an undergrad, but I was exceedingly poorly prepared in more or less every respect. I ended up finishing with a 3.3 GPA and a 3.1 concentration GPA (My pure math classes are higher (3.45), the lower grade is because I counted four physics classes towards my major that I bombed due to having no background in physics and feeling pressured to try and keep up with the kids in the "advanced" classes.) I stopped taking Math classes after sophomore year due to profound feelings of inadequacy and a bad break-up making me decide to just play piano all day everyday. I took some more math senior year, and did better in those classes than in early ones (Including a few graduate level math classes)

I used to really, really like Math. In high school, and for the first few years here. I wasn't doing poorly either, but I was immature and I didn't deal with personal situations well at that point, and music provided an outlet. After I graduated I started rediscovering my affection for math by looking through some of my textbooks in courses I didn't feel I'd mastered in college

So damn frustrating. I studied for and took the GRE's and this is how I did.

GRE general: 165 verbal 169 quant

Math GRE: 890(edited for typo)

So that is the one thing I have.

I also passed the P exam for actuary qualification although I don't want to do that unless nothing else works out.

I've seen the kind of people who are Ph.D students at Harvard so I know for certain that's out of the question, even if by some act of divine intervention I got in I'm not smart enough to hang with that crowd without getting incredibly discouraged.

I took classes on: real analysis, theoretical linear algebra, complex analysis (UG and graduate level), abstract algebra, combinatorics, and differential geometry. I took physics but I sucked at it (No grades about B+ and a few C's)

My other grades in math classes were good except for abstract algebra.

I have no research experience, I did musical things during the summers. I know a few professors but they can't say anything about me but "Did pretty well in my class."

Is applying worth the application fee? Is there anything I can do now to make myself a better candidate?

Edited by quantumpencil@gmail.com

What exactly do you want to study, and why? What led you to those decisions? You'll need to write a statement of purpose, and the answers to those questions will highly affect how your application is received.

If you get discouraged hanging out with really smart people, doctoral programs are not for you.

Fair point, though I don't think that's really the problem persay.

I get discouraged when I feel overwhelming or like I'm underperforming, which was the case at harvard because of the quality of my peers and some emotional immaturity on my part. I perceived a great deal of effortless talent from our IMO guys and other classmates which got to me when I was young. This did change even during my time at college. By my senior year I was taking and enjoying math classes again with students of great calibur. I enjoyed those classes, and I didn't get discouraged.

What I meant by that comment is simply this: There is a massive intelligence differential between me and Ph.D students here. I already know from experience what math ph.D's at the ivy league are like, and it's above my paygrade. It takes me longer to learn things, usually many many passes, I wouldn't be able to do research with significantly more classes, etc.

The point of that comment wasn't that I don't feel comfortable with smart people, It was just a way of saying "I know what I am not cut out for." Just a statement of acknowledgment re: my limitations and what I need to learn effectively.

As for research interests, I really like dynamical systems and slightly less pure mathy stuff than I studied in school. Discrete things, like packing/optimzation and combinatorial problems (reading Wilson&Lint atm).  I also wouldn't be planning on going to a Ph.D program immediately. I was more wondering what the best practical path to take would be if I did, after continuing to self-study? Or rather, does there exist such a path, where does it lead, etc.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...