Waiting it out...feeling stuck and in limbo.

Student88

I know most schools have a deadline but I recently applied to one with rolling applications. I'm waiting now on an answer. Without that answer I feel I can't really do much. I currently work in my field but the organization and people I work with aren't the best. I only stayed because I need the experience. I have been there for 3 years now. If I don't get accepted I could stay another year or try to find another job for a year and reapply. I really don't want to reapply. This is my 4th time applying. I can't plan to do anything until I hear from that school. Does anyone feel or felt like this? What do I do? I'm just working and taking it day by day. 

My cycle has been long over, but the pain of waiting is etched in memory for the rest of my life. It sucks. While I was waiting, I couldn't motivate myself to apply for jobs because I was always hoping for the best. I also had trouble sleeping. I suggest wine.

If you don't get in this time, call the department and ask why you were rejected so the 5th time you'll definitely get in. Do that as well as apply to more schools. I did these things when I applied to grad school the second time and I was accepted somewhere! Good luck!

I've gone through more than one application cycle and each time I sat down and wrote up a back up plan.  It was essentially a list of things I could do to improve next years application if I ended up in that boat.  Once I sent out my applications I took a couple of weeks and just relaxed, then I got started on the back up plan anyway.  Even though I didn't have a decision one way or the other it kept me busy and would give me something *new* to talk about if I made it to the interview stage.

• 3 weeks later...

I still haven't been told of a rejection or acceptance. Classes start next week. I am getting worried as I can only plan of a backup plan in case I don't get in, but I am holding to what if I do get accepted? I contacted the office last week and they told me they would probably provide and answer this week or next week. I haven't heard from this week so I'm guessing I will hear from them next week. Stress levels are rising. Optimism dropping.  

I still haven't been told of a rejection or acceptance. Classes start next week. I am getting worried as I can only plan of a backup plan in case I don't get in, but I am holding to what if I do get accepted? I contacted the office last week and they told me they would probably provide and answer this week or next week. I haven't heard from this week so I'm guessing I will hear from them next week. Stress levels are rising. Optimism dropping.  

My pet peeve - the way wait listed students are treated. Seriously, the fact that they haven't told you yet is ridiculous. I think it is unprofessional. They act like wait listed students are the "other" and do not have any feelings. As if we are not human. 

• 4 weeks later...

Over the years I've noticed that teachers generally seem to be missing the efficiency gene. I wish that schools would recognize this and ensure they had better administrative support and systems in place. I am playing the waiting game too, and the program contact was spectacularly unhelpful - not rude, but just kind of going with the flow. Basically, they are working on the applications and will finish deciding by the time registration is over (that is FOUR MONTHS after the deadline to apply).

Having been through 2 phases of waiting, I can attest to the fact that waiting is excruciatingly hard. Even when you have all the right signs, the agony remains (at least it did in my case), because then the mind can shift to imaginary details that are lacking in your application.

Anyway, each University has its own policy but in my case, UBC just didn't tell the applicant about the application status (for good or for bad). What I can say is that at least, that way I knew absolutely nothing of what was really happening. Fortunately for me, things happened relatively quickly and I got a formal offer of admission about 10 weeks from the deadline.

Once you have succeeded once though, at least it gives you a reference point for the future, of what worked, how it worked, how you prepared it, what made the difference, etc... But really : I hope I won't have to go through this again because I don't want to go through this again.

I'm in the same position you are, I applied to a school with rolling admissions and my application has been "in-review" for what feels like forever (only two weeks actually). I currently work as a research assistant at the school I am applying to, and my PI mentioned in passing that "oh calvin, [admissions officer's name] talked to me the other day about your application for the master's program". I asked him if he gave any indication, and my PI just smiled and said "He seemed happy with my response!". Ahhh so excruciating! I have no idea what to make of it, if anything!

The advice to work on a back-up plan in the meantime is solid. It reduces the stress associated with potentially not getting in. 

Edited by calvin8