Tips on Getting Accepted?

calicopirate

It was a huge heartbreak and disappointment for me to find out that I didn't get accepted to any of the five MSW programs that I applied to this past spring. I'm going to try again this year, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to make my application stronger. 

I graduated with a BA in English about ten years ago with a GPA of 2.5. I've been working with Ameri.Corps for two years and about to do a third term with the same program. While it's an education based program, I'm getting hands-on experience with working by volunteering at the foster home and homeless shelter. Recently, I took classes at a community college and got a 4.0 for that semester. 

What else would you suggest? 

Did you contact any of the schools you applied to and ask for some feedback regarding your application? The admissions departments might be able to provide some insight. Also, I would recommend a book called The Social Work Graduate School Applicant's Handbook by Jesus Reyes. I downloaded it from Amazon and it has some really good information. I believe the author was formerly in the admissions department at U of Chicago. Good luck this year.

Jeez, I can't believe you didn't get in! Your undergrad GPA wasn't great but that was so long ago, and the recent 4.0 should make up for it. Two years of Americorps, plus volunteering in the foster care and homeless systems...wow, I didn't have that much on my application when I applied. Unless you forgot to send your transcripts or just absolutely bombed your personal statement, I can't see why you would have been rejected by five schools.

Can you call up these schools, make an appointment to speak with someone in advising, and ask them how to strengthen your application? Also, are your recommendation letters strong? I assume that they are from your supervisor at Americorps, your supervisor at the volunteer sites, and a prof at the community college, yes? Can you have some social workers take a look at your essay?

Best of luck with it.

Maybe having 2 semesters under your belt with a high GPA in sociology, psychology or another related field will do the trick. While I didn't see the rest of your application, I believe that your GPA from the BA program and the fact that you majored in English literature most likely made you a less competitive candidate than the others who applied.

I agree that you should make an appointment with someone at each of these schools to get some feedback on your applications. Then take the time you need to make your application more competitive the next time around. Best of luck!!

Maybe having 2 semesters under your belt with a high GPA in sociology, psychology or another related field will do the trick. While I didn't see the rest of your application, I believe that your GPA from the BA program and the fact that you majored in English literature most likely made you a less competitive candidate than the others who applied.

I agree that you should make an appointment with someone at each of these schools to get some feedback on your applications. Then take the time you need to make your application more competitive the next time around. Best of luck!!

This was exactly what I was thinking.  Other applicants probably took all the prereqs and had a bunch of extra coursework in related areas.  Other than that I'd say more volunteer work where you're hands on in a social services environment couldn't hurt and maybe having your sop reviewed and revamped.

Thanks for all of your responses! I'm going to make appointments with the schools and see if they can help me in any way. I was really shocked when I got the rejection letters because I had letters of recommendation from my program coordinator at AmeriCorps, the principal of the school site I worked at, and the volunteer coordinator of the foster home. : ( 

It was a huge heartbreak and disappointment for me to find out that I didn't get accepted to any of the five MSW programs that I applied to this past spring. I'm going to try again this year, but I'm wondering if anyone has any tips to make my application stronger. 

I graduated with a BA in English about ten years ago with a GPA of 2.5. I've been working with Ameri.Corps for two years and about to do a third term with the same program. While it's an education based program, I'm getting hands-on experience with working by volunteering at the foster home and homeless shelter. Recently, I took classes at a community college and got a 4.0 for that semester. 

What else would you suggest? 

Did you take the GRE? I know a lot of schools don't require it, but some will still allow you to submit it. I would suggest this if your undergrad GPA doesn't reflect what you are capable of at the graduate level. Also in your admission statements don't ignore the fact that your undergrad GPA is one of your weaker points in your application address the reasons why it's lower, why you believe you can achieve higher academic standards at the graduate level ect. It will be good if you can bolster that with proof from more community college courses/a high GRE score.

I would suggest that if the schools you talk to say that your UGPA was a weak point or negative factor in your application.

Keep trying! You can get in!

Did you contact any of the schools you applied to and ask for some feedback regarding your application? The admissions departments might be able to provide some insight. Also, I would recommend a book called The Social Work Graduate School Applicant's Handbook by Jesus Reyes. I downloaded it from Amazon and it has some really good information. I believe the author was formerly in the admissions department at U of Chicago. Good luck this year.

I would second this book. It's on my kindle and I read it before applying as well as referred to it throughout the process.

• 5 weeks later...

Don't give up!  I had a GPA worse than yours and got in to my top choice (USC)!  I was super honest--and I mean HONEST.  In my essay, I touched BRIEFLY on why I did so bad in undergrad, and then talked about what I learned from that experience.  People kept telling me, "If they want to know, they'll ask!"  Well, sure enough, they did.  They came back and wanted a one-page essay on what the cause of my bad grades were.  ONLY THEN did I go into detail.  I was honest, and I got straight to the point, like, "look, this is what happened, this is why, I wish it had gone down different, but it is what is and it won't happen again because I am a better person."  I think too many people try to explain too much in their essays.  Focus on the kind of person you are today and how those struggles ended up being a good thing because they made you passionate.  Just my two cents....but that route worked for me, and like I said, my GPA was worse than yours! ;)

• 5 weeks later...

I agree with the others who suggested that you contact your schools and see where you can improve. You may be surprised by the feedback you get--make sure you use it.

Did you have a chance to read the references? Did you have an academic reference in the mix? That is, not just someone who is a teacher but someone who can directly comment on your academic ability? I would just make sure that all of your letters are strong and that the people writing them are familiar with an MSW program. You want to make sure that they hit all of the key words to describe your skills and abilities so that they strengthen your application rather than weaken it.

I would also make sure you have a professor or two (preferably someone in social work or a similar field) look over your statement.   Even though it may sound good, it may not convey what you want it to. For instance, some prospective students over share in their statements or don't link their experiences with learning objectives. Or, it may simply not flow as well as it could.   

Best of luck in your applications!

Edited by MSW13