Double major in Communication and Psychology...

Wow, what a year. I've taken the time to sit back and put things into perspective thus far into the summer and I've decided to make a complete switch with my studies (and career goals). Here's the thing: I started out as a Film major, but I've quickly grown to dislike it. I still love film, don't get me wrong, but I'm not quite sure if this is the field I want to get into for a professional career. I then switched my major to Communication (an emphasis on Organizational/Interpersonal). All awhile, I dabbled in social sciences like Sociology and Psychology, and finally realized how much the latter intrigues me. I'm an incoming junior this fall (high school class of 2011) and I'm now finally realizing what I want to do. Kind of sucks how much time I've spent on something I'm not so passionate about after all.

I've thought about soley majoring in Psychology, but I fear my job prospects will be quite narrowed with it. So, I've decided to stick with my Communication degree while also pursuing my Psych degree. The university I attend has a renown Communication program, so I plan to take advantage of the network and resources. Because of this reason, I feel like majoring in Comm is somewhat of a safety net for me as far as jobs go. However, my long-term plans include grad school. I'd like to eventually go into the field of psychology. The idea of researching in this particular field fascinates me, and I feel like I can think of it forever. As of now, I'm just starting off, so I still have to search for internships, volunteer and research positions. If I double major, I'll be in school until Fall 2016, quite possibly into 2017. So, it's definitely going to take some time and money as well.

I guess my question is: is it worth it to double major? I'm really worried about what comes after I graduate...the time I need to take the GREs, or further research, embark on publications, etc. -- will I be able to find a job to support myself as I gain more experiences? That's where I "think" the Comm degree will come into use, especially because I've been able to snag interviews with large media corporations already. I've also figured that a dual degree in Comm and Psych can be useful for a career in advertising/marketing and I/O psychology later down the path. However, what I ultimately want is to either work as a business psychologist or a clinical one. Ultimately, what's holding me back is the time it would take to obtain both degrees. Is it really normal for undergrads to take up to 6 years to graduate? Once I'm out, I'll likely either apply for MA programs in Psych, OR work in corporate communication or get involved in more research work (or both) for 3-5 years until I apply to PhD programs.

I apologize for rambling; it's 4AM here in Los Angeles and I'm flustered by my crazy and restless mind. Any advice on my studies or on my career goals would be very helpful. Oh, I definitely need some knowledgable guidance right about now...(thanks in advance!).

I haven't heard any any downside to taking an extra year for your undergrad - as long as it's not to fluff up your GPA.  A double major in comm and psych would probably be looked on favorably for I/O psychology.  Not sure about clinical.

If you are worried about spending the next decade in school, then I suggest you consider a master's degree in I/O.  The job market is decent for folks with this degree. 

If you seriously are considering I/O, then I say drop the comm and go for it.  The job market is probably as strong for I/O as it is for comm.  But don't take my word for it.  Go to O*net and research what the next few years will look like in both fields.

Final consideration:  if you can get two years of undergrad research experience in psych now at your current school, you would be adequately prepared to apply for master's programs in I/O right out of undergrad.

I would suggest you go straight from your undergrad to a Master's degree, specifically one in I/O; your interests, and the degree in Communications specifically, make it seem like that's a path well-suited for you. Take your GREs next summer, so you'll have your scores, and just go for it. There's no need to take the time off unless you want to.

I think that it's unnecessary to do the double major because adding on 2 extra years onto undergrad is a lot of both time and money spent. I think either of the majors would set you up as a competitive applicant for master's level I/O psychology programs, as long as your test scores and GPA were good. 

Thanks for all your helpful advice! So, I've actually decided to stick with Psychology instead of double majoring because I just don't think it's worth the extra two years and $$. My school offers only a BA in Psychology, so I'm actually thinking about minoring in Statistics to set myself up for a career in research, if I decide to pursue that realm. I figured I'd spend the next year or two researching, volunteering and preparing myself for a good graduate program instead of taking on corporate communication internships. IO psychology seems interesting to me for sure, but I'm also very eager to explore clinical/counseling psychology as well since I really enjoy one-on-one interactions. 

My uni offers one of those progressive degrees for Psychology -- I was wondering what's the catch? These programs where you obtain your BA+MA in five years seems almost too good to be true. Does it hold you back in any way if you decide to get your PhD?

From what I have read on program websites, going in to a PhD program with a master's does not mean that you get credit for all the coursework you did for a master's. I don't know how PhD programs look at the BA+MA versus a full MA after a bachelor's.

I do see some reputable schools offer the 5-year BA to master's so I would assume it is legit. Though I don't know how those 5-year programs are set up. I would want to know what the coursework looked like and whether there was some sort of qualifying exams or a thesis.

You would have to keep in mind what PhD programs are really looking for. They are looking for folks with some background in psychology, high grades, above average GRE scores (at least), research experience (the more the better), presentation experience, outstanding letters of recommendation, and a good fit with their faculty research interests.

The other thing that getting an advanced degree does for you is set you up with career connections. Being in too much of a hurry to speed through a master's might hinder your opportunities to get good research experience and make solid career connections, which would in turn possibly hinder your job prospects post graduating.

Again, thanks so much for all your continuous advice! It's really helpful and comforting to hear of so many serious and thoughful answers. I just signed up for my GE (general education requirements) courses in Psychology. Feels great to actually feel excited to take a class! Also, with the minor deal, I've decided to minor in Math instead. It's a total of 36 credits, but I figured I could get back into it and do well...plus it would give me a better foundation for future research opportunities. I'll likely take some Statistics and CS courses for my minor electives.

Wow, a minor is 36 credits, at my university many majors are 36/40 credits! To build a math foundation is good: you need calculus up to multivariate and linear algebra. Make sure to take probability and a couple of applied stats classes, in particular linear regression. As I wrote, I also suggest a matlab class. Once you have settled with the classes you want to take, start to look for a RA position. Good luck with everything!