giving up cigarettes tomorrow- wish me luck!

memyselfandcoffee

so I' ve been smoking for about 17 years ( started when I was 12 !) and am currently up to 30 a day- tomorrow i go on the patches. I plan on starting a total health kick and eating better and exercising ( I want to lose weight). I'm cautious about having an all or none attitude which is generally my downfall. But at the moment I'm feeling positive that I can do it. I'm hoping I'll have more energy and generally feel better and maybe even work better.

so any words of advice or motivation appreciated

thanks

Good for you for making this important decision. Does your school have a smoking cessation program for students? If so, you might want to check it out. As for diet and exercise, I highly recommend this book even before you begin.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/bob-greenes-total-body-makeover/9780743254069-item.html?ikwid=bob%2520greene&ikwsec=Books&gcs_requestid=0CNjkwcKN7LgCFQwn5wodz1kAAA

In the first part of the book, the author helps you to idenify your pitfalls to following through with a diet based on your past experience. Then he helps you to come up with way to overcome your obstacles so that when you encounter them you will already know what to do. You may even find that some of the information here will apply to your smoking habits.

Best of luck to you!

Congrats! I quit five years ago and I had been a smoker for almost ten years. I don't know about you but I had certain "trigger" situations. For me I had particular trouble with my morning cup of coffee and after dinner. I changed up my schedule so my first cup of coffee was when I got to my job and I started having a glass of red wine with dinner to replace one pleasure for a more heart healthy one. So anyways, it was important for me to identify situations where smoking was particualrly important to me and find ways to change up those situations or distract myself. And, if you're like me, after 2 weeks or so you will feel the difference in your energy levels. I certainly did, it helped me take my normal exercise to the next level.

Good luck. PM if you need to vent! I used to call my sister when I had bad cravings, it's good to have someone to vent to.

More than any other factor, if you have the willpower, resolve and perseverance to stand by your decision, nothing will hold you back. Dig deep. Some good suggestions from jenste and Rogue856 as well.

My uncle was a chain smoker till about his mid-40's. But then one day, he decided to quit; has never smoked since! He's in his late sixties now.

so I' ve been smoking for about 17 years ( started when I was 12 !) and am currently up to 30 a day- tomorrow i go on the patches. I plan on starting a total health kick and eating better and exercising ( I want to lose weight). I'm cautious about having an all or none attitude which is generally my downfall. But at the moment I'm feeling positive that I can do it. I'm hoping I'll have more energy and generally feel better and maybe even work better.

so any words of advice or motivation appreciated

thanks

You have to want to quit that's the key.  It sounds that you're positive about it and that will help.  I smoked 2 packs a day for 15 years.  I tried quitting 3 times and failed because my heart wasn't in it.  The 4th time I was determined to quit and finally kicked the habit.  The first 2 or 3 days are the worst.

Guest Gnome Chomsky

You can try changing your routine. For example, if you go outside on your lunch break to smoke, try not going outside and doing something else instead. I understand quitting smoking can be more difficult than something else, like drinking, since you can do it pretty easily during your regular routine, sometimes without realizing you're doing it. I tried to quit drinking many times. At least with drinking I have to go out of my way to drink. I can't just walk down the street chugging a 40. You just have to make changes to your routine. Create a lot of detours until the new routine feels normal to you.