Queer Studies - Interdisciplinary MA

I'm looking for programs that will help me build solid foundation on Queer/LGBT Studies and allow me to combine it Public Health and Human Rights. Which institutions are strong in these areas, especially Queer Studies? So far I'm looking at NYU Gallatin and CUNY MALS. 

I know Goldsmiths in London has, at the very least, some profs in the Anthropology department who teach Queer Studies classes; a friend of mine attended a few years there; my friend's degree was specifically Queer Studies. Not sure how far you can go at that university specifically with the Public Health aspect (only because I am blatantly unfamiliar with that university, all I know is a friend of mine went there for the Queer Studies program).

I think any school with a MALS and enough courses/faculty in Queer Studies will be able to offer you something. I know the MALS program here requires you to choose topical area and requires you to take 18 credits in that area across at least three departments. (I don't know if there are enough to recommend FIU, though.) Contact some interdisciplinary programs and ask what their policy is toward topical studies that they don't explicitly offer.they may have a similar setup.

Is getting an MPH somewhere with faculty in queer and LGBTQ areas an option?  It opens up more doors and a place like Columbia definitely has the right faculty for that course of study--I have multiple friends there doing very similar things.

I think one of the challenges you're likely to encounter is that many queer studies master's programs focus on theory, culture or literature to a far greater degree than on, say, health, diplomacy or policy.  So the question becomes, what do you want to do with the degree?  If you have ambition to work in public health, I'd second nowaynohow and suggest an MPH; if you want to do int'l human rights, I'd suggest an MIA or a human rights-specific master's.

Friends of mine who've pursued interdisciplinary studies at the master's level have sometimes walked away feeling that the degree wasn't terribly marketable (outside of the context of doctoral admissions).  But again, it all depends on what you want to do with it.

Last point: CUNY's program is relatively inexpensive, which might be a major selling point!

Thank you for your responses. I have been considering getting an MPH or an MS in Epidemiology but I think I really want to have more queer-related courses. Columbia's Human Rights MA does sound appealing too. I've asked and they said Queer Studies and Public Health can be my focus. I just don't know how much queer-related courses they actually have available. 

I am currently doing non-profit work on both LGBTQ and HIV issues. To be honest, I am still deciding on what to do after getting my master's degree. I am  considering working in the academe while still doing development work. Development work will definitely be part of the plan. 

I think one of the challenges you're likely to encounter is that many queer studies master's programs focus on theory, culture or literature to a far greater degree than on, say, health, diplomacy or policy.  So the question becomes, what do you want to do with the degree?  If you have ambition to work in public health, I'd second nowaynohow and suggest an MPH; if you want to do int'l human rights, I'd suggest an MIA or a human rights-specific master's.

Friends of mine who've pursued interdisciplinary studies at the master's level have sometimes walked away feeling that the degree wasn't terribly marketable (outside of the context of doctoral admissions).  But again, it all depends on what you want to do with it.

Last point: CUNY's program is relatively inexpensive, which might be a major selling point!

Oh, to clarify, my work actually deals with the intersection of all three areas I mentioned. I work on health and policy-related projects for the LGBTQ community and some people I work with have either public health degrees or human rights-related degrees. Whether or not I eventually want to pursue a PhD and also teach is something I am still deciding on but either way, I am sure I want to do non-profit work and that I want to work first after getting my master's.

Thank you. I'll consider looking at more focused degrees that can still offer some flexibility.