The University of Texas at Dallas

Cog-Neuro Guy

The career prospects vary. It's a subfield of experimental psychology as your probably know already. UTD states that it is a great program to leverage people into doctoral programs in neuroscience, behavioral neuroscience, cognitive science and experimental psychology. Also, you can become an IONM technologist with this M.S. (I was hesitant about doing that because the field is still underdeveloped and unregulated)...it seems like the only jobs to be had are from 3rd party medical staffing firms. Hospitals and clinics usually outsource for IONM through a staffing firm. They do have a good salary ($65-80K) if you get CNIM certification. 

Other than that, my main goal with this program is to get a strong cognitive-neuroscience and experimental psychology background to apply to clinical and counseling psychology doctoral programs. I am a graduate research assistant for the chief of neuropsychology and psychology at UT Southwestern, so, I am pairing relevant research opportunities with my degree to tailor it to my needs and applications. I also plan on teaching at a college, I used to teach high school and middle school instrumental studies, so I like the teaching aspect. 

I see you are doing school psychology (TWU?) 

Edited by Cog-Neuro Guy

• 5 months later...

Hey Cog-Neuro Guy,

I am actually from Dallas and am applying to the exact program you are in. In fact, it is my number one choice at this moment. I have a few questions if you do not mind answering.

1. What is the program like itself? (culture, classes, cohorts)

2. Are the professors easy to approach/talk to?

3. How do you go about joining a research lab? Is it as easy as simply speaking with a professor? Are rotations required?

4. Are there plenty of options for research collaborations?

And the most subjective question of all: Did you enjoy the classes i.e., were they interesting, can you say you learned alot etc.?

I would appreciate as much information as you are willing to give me.

I am entering the M.S. program in Applied Cognition and Neuroscience- specializing in cognitive neuroscience. Anyone else tagging along

How is the PhD program in Cognition and Neuroscience at UTD? I haven't heard much about it in the rankings but the program seems pretty good, and so does some of the faculty in the ANN track esp.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got accepted to the PhD program in Public Policy and Political Economy.  Looking forward to moving to Dallas with my family :)  Wife and two kids!  Looking to buy a house nearby for the long-haul.  I'm curious how many grad students are currently there in that program..

Edited by JackReeves

I just happened to stumble upon this thread. I am currently waiting to hear back from UTD's doctoral program in Cognition and Neuroscience. I decided to apply to their program because their researchers look like they do some pretty neat stuff! I also am waiting to hear back from Texas A&M's neuro program.

Sorry for the delay folks....I posted and forgot this thread :P

To answer the first question(s):

1. The program itself is very diverse, meaning, if you are in the program to focus mostly on cellular aspects of cognitive neuroscience, that is fine, someone else (like myself) may be in the program to focus on neuropsychological research. Not one person in the program is identical or with the same goals as the next person. This can be good or bad, you could judge that. The student body itself (just providing a very subjective interpretation from my own interaction and talking to others in my class about their opinions)...many people are there to really research. If you are looking for a school that provides nurturing, "let's talk about how you feel" interactions...I have not seen this yet, and frankly, it is not practiced amongst the faculty and students (at least what I have experienced thus far). Classes are good: I came into this program with absolutely no experience in research, neuroscience or cognition (my undergrad was in sociology with a minor in psychology). I would recommend a course sequence to provide a good foundation (systems -> cellular -> neuroanatomy -> cognitive science -> cognitive psychology, etc.). I have found that the systems neuroscience class really kicked our butts into gear to be prepared for many neuroscience classes.

2. The professors CAN be easy to talk to....but it depends (psychology's life story). Some professors are very traditional in how they approach research and how they lecture (a large proportion of these professors came from Yale, Duke, Stanford, etc.). I find that many of the newer faculty members are VERY approachable in the class setting, outside of class and even to have a general non-academic conversation (i.e. about Netflix, etc.). Also, your personality depends on how you will experience and evaluate the program. I initially came into the program seeking a heavy cognitive neuroscience foundation to prepare me for future doctoral studies in clinical neuropsychology. As you take classes and interact with a wide variety of professors, I suggest you be open to your "end goal." 

3. As far as research lab experience....I was the odd ball out in my cohort. I got married in July of 2013. Right before I got married, I had reached out to a prominent neuropsychologist at UTSW to see if I could solely work and research under him. I went through some phone interviews, in person interviews and even came back the day after our wedding so I could attend a symposium at UTSW that my future PI would be on the panel talking for the day. I initiated all of this on my own...I brought it up to my program advisor and administrator to really enforce my direction I wanted to take in my studies at UTD. I am currently in my second semester at UTSW researching and love it. The point to this statement is, if you have the independent drive to want to learn something...email a professor you like (or several professors) and tell them who you are, what you are looking for and see if they are willing to meet with you (that really is how simple it can be). As far as rotations...I am not aware of such things, however, you should be able to collaborate with other faculty members and labs within the department. I am actually in the early stages of talking to my neuroanatomy professor who studies aging and neuro-imaging techniques for her research; I am considering joining her lab if my schedule permits it and if I feel it would be a good risk to leave my position at UTSW. Like I said, constantly evaluate your direction you want to go into. It's fine to come in with an initial plan, but I would be open to what paths might unfold before you.

4. Look at the previous statement for research collaboration.

My personal evaluation is; the classes are good so far, some that are taught by the more traditional faculty members may or may not click with how you would prefer to learn such a vast amount of information in a pretty subjective field in comparison with other natural sciences. Also, if you want to take a class and are told you can't because you may not have a pre-requisite: this is a common problem that many students are experiencing, and it is very frustrating. They admit a wide variety of students with undergraduate degrees in neuroscience, English, computer science, business, sociology, psychology, history, philosophy, etc. Frankly, if you completed a sociology degree, one can expect that you didn't exactly cover functional neuroanatomy while talking about social stratification. The curriculum is very diverse; some students who really like the cellular aspects of neuroscience can really focus on just taking courses in such disciplines. When I first started the program, I attempted to get into at least 3-4 labs (of varying backgrounds I might add). It was met with stand-offish comments from some faculty members, some flat out didn't respond back (which is also a big issue with many faculty members at UTD). In context to the situation, they have a lot to do, they just don't teach. Again, these are all things you should weigh into your decision, possibly talk with other students to see if my statements have any validity to them or not. 

If cognitive neuroscience, or neuroscience in general is EXACTLY what you want to do, you are a perfect fit for UTD. I hope this helps.

How is the PhD program in Cognition and Neuroscience at UTD? I haven't heard much about it in the rankings but the program seems pretty good, and so does some of the faculty in the ANN track esp.

The Ph.D. program is an extension of the master's program in terms of coursework. You would be taking classes with master's and doctoral students from cognition and neuroscience, communication disorders, psychological sciences (all of the BBS department students). In terms of funding, I know that Ph.D. students are typically granted a TA-ship as well as an RA-ship (at some point). Some doctoral students have established careers at known companies such as Raytheon, Texas Instruments, etc. Depending on why you selected to attend the UTD program, and your research interests, you will be amongst a very diverse crowd of doctoral students. In terms of ranking...I am not sure how they rank unfortunately. I often try to evaluate our program against others such as Rice, or UTSW, UT Houston, etc. and end up coming to the conclusion that UTD is very flexible in terms of coursework, research opportunities, course schedule, but lacks in a defined "funding package." One downside I find is that there is no real definition of career projections, job placement, etc. from graduates of the UTD program (either in the master's or Ph.D. programs). The faculty are numerous and all focus on varying projects at varying off-campus facilities (Center for Brain Health, Center for Vital Longevity, etc.). 

Thanks for all the information! It is extremely helpful in getting me to really consider my options. Neuroscience in general is what I want to do. I really don't have any idea what I want to do in the field because it is so diverse. For masters students, I shouldn't expect much funding, if any, should I?

Correct; the master's program does not provide funding. A handful (1-3) student may receive a $1000-1500 scholarship for one year, but as far as funding (i.e. tuition remission, stipend) this does not exist in the program at the moment. 

• 2 months later...

Hey, I will be attending UTD in the fall with my wife and kid. I will need advice on what area in Dallas I can get a good private housing that is moderately affordable?

• 2 months later...