Question on Strong LOR Criteria

phil413

Hi all,

I am in the process of asking my professors and employers for Letter of Recs. While academic professors may be more familiar with what makes a strong LOR and how to write one, employers may need a little more guidance.

I am having a touchbase with my previous employer regarding my LORs and during then, I want to provide a few pointers to guide him along on what he should include if he wants to recommend me effectively.  To summarize,

1) What are a few key pointers to discuss with them to include that makes a strong LOR? What do schools specifically look for in a LOR?

2) What could or should I provide for him (a resume? SOP?) to help him be the most effective?

Thank you for your help in advance!

Edited by phil413

I second the request!

Two of my LoR's will be written by my seniors at work. And they don't have much experience (if any) in writing such a document. So any kind of feedback/help will be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Did the schools you are applying to provide a prompt (this might be listed on their website or on the form they want used) for the LOR writers to address?  If so then that is an excellent starting point.  You can also contact them directly and inquire. 

I too have LORs from non-academics (and you're right they do need help because it isn't the same as a job reference) and what I did was give them a packet that included a quick fact sheet of my stats/goals/app deadlines/LOR instructions, resume/cv, and my sop.  Then I actually scheduled a meeting with them, sat down and had a lengthy conversation about what I want to do, how my work with them fits into my big picture, what I need from them, and why I chose them to write an LOR.  I also explain that the schools may have additional online forms and/or follow up questions that may come via phone or email.  I want them to know exactly what they're getting into if they agree to help me.  I also follow up with them periodically via email and phone to make sure they don't need additional information and to make sure they are doing it lol.  Oh and of course thanking them profusely.

Did the schools you are applying to provide a prompt (this might be listed on their website or on the form they want used) for the LOR writers to address?  If so then that is an excellent starting point.  You can also contact them directly and inquire. 

I too have LORs from non-academics (and you're right they do need help because it isn't the same as a job reference) and what I did was give them a packet that included a quick fact sheet of my stats/goals/app deadlines/LOR instructions, resume/cv, and my sop.  Then I actually scheduled a meeting with them, sat down and had a lengthy conversation about what I want to do, how my work with them fits into my big picture, what I need from them, and why I chose them to write an LOR.  I also explain that the schools may have additional online forms and/or follow up questions that may come via phone or email.  I want them to know exactly what they're getting into if they agree to help me.  I also follow up with them periodically via email and phone to make sure they don't need additional information and to make sure they are doing it lol.  Oh and of course thanking them profusely.

Appreciate the feedback, MsDarjeeling.

Having read your response, I've realised I should immediately mail the respective Reference/Recommendation Forms to my referees. There is a prompt within the forms, which will make it a bit easier for them to write a more focused LoR. (Man, why the hell didn't I think of that earlier! :P ) And yes, I've been following up with them with periodic mails, making sure that I sound extremely thankful for their time and effort. :)