Gap Year

tellitslant

Hi All-- Just wondering if any of you took/ are planning to take a gap year. I was advised by one of my profs that to do so might register as laziness by admissions staff, which I don't know that I agree with. He said it would come across that I was merely "sick of the academy" and looking for a break...

I feel like my application (since I'd otherwise be applying as a senior in undergrad) would really benefit from the extra year to edit SOPs/ study for the GRE etc.

The only problem is I plan to volunteer with City Year (AmeriCorps) during this gap, and I worry that this experience is too unrelated to grad school. Would it look "bad" that I'm spending the year after college doing service work, rather than research or taking additional courses?

Also, for those of you who took a gap year, how did you spend it? And do you recommend it?

Thanks! :)

Hi All-- Just wondering if any of you took/ are planning to take a gap year. I was advised by one of my profs that to do so might register as laziness by admissions staff, which I don't know that I agree with. He said it would come across that I was merely "sick of the academy" and looking for a break...

I feel like my application (since I'd otherwise be applying as a senior in undergrad) would really benefit from the extra year to edit SOPs/ study for the GRE etc.

The only problem is I plan to volunteer with City Year (AmeriCorps) during this gap, and I worry that this experience is too unrelated to grad school. Would it look "bad" that I'm spending the year after college doing service work, rather than research or taking additional courses?

Also, for those of you who took a gap year, how did you spend it? And do you recommend it?

Thanks! :)

There is a distinction that you (and your professors) need to make: A gap year taken to better yourself or others is not going to look poorly in admissions. It will show personal growth and/or a desire to translate your abilities to your community. A gap year taken, during which you don't do anything productive toward your field (other than for financial issues and the like), may come off as more lazy, but can usually be explained.

Many professors, graduate students, and post docs talk about how candidates who have taken a year (or more) off, are generally more mature and able to handle stresses of graduate school. Of course, you can still be mature without the gap year, but the gap year can give you more experience in ways that academics can't.

Taking a year to volunteer with AmeriCorps is not laziness or being sick of academia. It's a desire to help your community and gain experience translating knowledge to others' needs. The benefit of having more time for your application is great, and is not lazy, either. See if you can get something as close as possible to your desired study field while working with AmeriCorps. If that's not possible, that's still fine.

If you have prior research experience, then you should be fine for your applications. Think of it this way: If you apply next year, after doing service, you'll still have the same amount of research that you would have been applying with this year. And you may already have a significant amount now. Service will only strengthen your application.

I am not 100% sure I am taking a gap year. I, like you, am interested in service, specifically Peace Corps. My plan for the year is to apply to my top 3 PhD programs with all I have. But, I am also applying to Peace Corps. If I am not accepted to any PhD programs, I will begin my service in Peace Corps around the same time that I would be starting graduate school. Peace Corps is 27 months of service, during which I hope to be placed in environmental education. I feel like this could only strengthen my application, not weaken it, and I would gain experience that most people never get.

You are only a senior undergraduate (like me), so you have time. Many people take time off between undergraduate and graduate education for various reasons, and that is fine. Your professor seems to have tunnel vision for academia, and he may not realize that not everyone is the same. Some people want to take time to explore service options, as well.

Good luck in your service, and I hope you get accepted to a great program once you apply.

Hey tellitslant,

First, I think it is a great idea to take a year off. I think you will find an extra year will allow you to hone your research interests, to make your personal statement more precise, to really familiarize yourself with the programs that interest you the most, and to knock your GRE score out of the park (all things which you yourself noted). All of these things will make your application all the more sophisticated, so an extra year is really helpful in the big picture. Also, applying while you are in school is manageable but also very stressful. Being out of school makes the process a bit more manageable. 

With that said, I have also generally found that students who took time off before graduate school have more interesting and nuanced things to say in their work because they have some outside, real-word, and non-academic experience that bear on their interests and thinking. 

In your specific case, I feel like doing something like City Year could be great, because you will likely interact with a very diverse group of people who will enrich and challenge your thinking. 

I think it makes sense to be aware that some schools might want to see some real-word experience directly related to your desired program of study. Then again, something a bit unrelated could stand out to schools. This is something you might want to ask programs as you prepare to apply to them, so you can adjust your personal statement accordingly based on what they say.

I am sure you can creatively think of how to connect your City Year to your study interests and that you can find outlets in your spare time to pursue activities that more directly tie in to your interests as well. For instance, if you are interested in the humanities, you could pick up a reading language in your spare time.

Another key thing is how you yourself explain to schools why you decided to pursue City Year. Be prepared to explain in your personal statement and in your interviews how your City Year experience further prepared you to pursue your field of research and an advanced degree. So long as you narrate how City Year fits into your story and how it has readied you to pursue advanced studies, you should be all set.

I hope some of these thoughts are helpful. There are so many different paths to a PhD. Don't feel obligated to follow one single path, but find the right fit for you. And just to note, I am speaking here mostly from my own personal experience. I took a year off and went abroad before I applied for my master's degree and then for my PhD. Living and working abroad was a great experience for me. It allowed me time and space to think carefully about what I wanted to study and gave me extra time to apply for my master's. In some ways, I wish I had taken a year off between my master's and PhD as well to navigate the application process. I have also had a number of good friends who have gone and done a year of service both domestically and internationally and used their time away from school to jump into a PhD.

Good luck to you!

Edited by Jim84

My situation was very, very different than yours but I took about 8 years off between finishing up my undergrad and going to grad school. I spent that time pursuing a career completely unrelated to my academic interests.  It never came up as an issue on my applications. I think, regardless of time spent away, the most important part of my application was my research background. Professors I spoke with at schools I applied to didn't even ask me about the gaps in my education but they had lots of questions about my research experience, my writing sample, etc. If you have those things, and a year spent doing something positive for your community I honestly can't imagine you'll be at any disadvantage. If anything you'll grow a lot spending that time in a professional environment and that will come across when you do apply. It will show committees that grad school is a conscious choice you are making. Like Jim84 said, there is no 'right' path to a PhD. Do what feels right and you'll get where you're supposed to be.

I agree with the other responses.  I would also add that sometimes a gap year or years may be the time when you figure out you don't want to go in a certain direction.  Right after undergrad I was sure about my direction and then a few years in industry made me realize I hated it.  Imagine if I hadn't taken that time off and had just gone straight to grad school.  I'd have a fancy degree I couldn't stand to use and years of my life gone. 

I then took some time to explore a few other interests until I stumbled upon what I really wanted to do.  Then I set out to boost my apps by obtaining additional training, getting more research experience, volunteering, etc.  Not one bit of that is lazy.  In fact I'm busier now than I ever was in undergrad and most of my time is spent on stuff related to my new career path.

The bottom line is this.  If YOU think a gap year is best, then do it and make a commitment to not be lazy.  Create a task list of long term goals that you want to meet by the end of the year.  Create monthly goals that are stepping stones to those long term goals.  Create your own cheerleading squad (friends, family, classmates, etc) to keep you motivated.  Be of service with AmeriCorps.  Continue to do research.  Boost your GRE score.  Edit and re-edit your SOP until its amazing.  Stay in touch with your LOR writers and network within your industry.  The year will only be wasted if you choose to sit around on your rear, so don't.   

Wow, thanks for all the great advice everyone. You were all incredibly helpful, and I feel much more confident in my decision now. The tip to spend this time working on languages was a good one, as right now my language background (or lack thereof) is one of the weaker spots in my application. It was wonderful to read about all of your experiences, as it really backed up what Jim said that there is no single or right path to a PhD. 

And Monochrome Spring: Good luck to you with your applications! I hope whichever path you choose (immediately to grad school/ Peace Corps) is a rewarding experience.