3 year PhD program for linguistics

JCinque

A program in theoretical linguistics? Do you have a Masters degree already? I can think of some programs where you might be able to finish in 4 years if you work very hard, but 3 seems like a serious stretch. Course requirements alone normally take two years and I don't know of any programs that will wave the requirement even if you already have a MA; then there are intermediary requirements like generals papers/qualifying papers or a Masters thesis - basically one or two large research papers to be defended in your 2nd or 3rd year. If you come in with advanced projects, you might be able to defend more quickly. Then you write a dissertation - in some places, after defending a prospectus - and that process usually takes at least a year, especially given that during that year you also apply for jobs and prepare everything that is required for that (research statement, teaching statement, project descriptions for post docs, cv, cover letter, etc). It's not unheard of but it's extremely rare for people to graduate in less than 4 years, and even that is very fast. Five is the norm, and with good reason. 

I should add: I am now starting my 5th year in a linguistics program; based on how fast I completed my program's requirements I could have graduated in 4 years, but absolutely no one that I consulted with thought that would be a good idea. The job market isn't great and having one extra year to do research before graduating and moving on to a post-doc or job is highly advantageous both in terms of the quality of work I would produce and also simply in terms of the quantity of work that I could produce. I think it was very good advice--though I could have written something as a dissertation last year, I am very glad I had the time to work on other projects and develop my thinking about my dissertation project more before getting sucked into the job market race. 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Just curious, do people generally graduate from a PhD program faster if they come in with a MA/MS as opposed to a BA/BS? It's my understand that it takes about 5-6 years to complete a PhD if you come straight from undergrad. So, since a MA/MS takes roughly 2 years, I would think it would take 3-4 years to complete if you come directly from your MA/MS. 

Just curious, do people generally graduate from a PhD program faster if they come in with a MA/MS as opposed to a BA/BS? It's my understand that it takes about 5-6 years to complete a PhD if you come straight from undergrad. So, since a MA/MS takes roughly 2 years, I would think it would take 3-4 years to complete if you come directly from your MA/MS. 

Not that I know of. The requirements for students with and without an MA are basically all the same and I don't think you could get courses waved just because you took similar courses at another institution as part of another degree--maybe you could replace some of them with more advanced ones, maybe not, but they won't just be waved, at least where I was interested in. When I asked about having a class waved that I'd already TAed for several times, I was told that it's still beneficial to take it with the professors at my current university and to look at it as an opportunity to think about deeper questions or concentrate on how I would teach such a class--a question you often don't consider until much later, but a very relevant one. It was very good advice and I'm glad I took that class because even though there were no new concepts, I think I learned a lot. 

If you have an advanced project (a Masters thesis say) some places will let you use that as a qualifying paper and that could save time. If you continue working within the same subfield and on roughly the same question(s), you may be able to finish early. But if you want to take the time to develop other interests or work on something other than extensions of your MA project, you will probably take just as long as people who didn't come in with an MA to begin with.

Generally programs work to equalize everybody's knowledge with required classes in the first year, and then the program is structured so you take some required and some elective classes in years 2-3, you work on 1-2 (or more) different projects that need to get to a certain place in years 2-3-4 and you then work on a dissertation project. There is not much flexibility in terms of finishing early, and as I said above, if you have funding and you want to go into academia, it's not clear that rushing through the degree is a good move at all. 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Not that I know of. The requirements for students with and without an MA are basically all the same and I don't think you could get courses waved just because you took similar courses at another institution as part of another degree--maybe you could replace some of them with more advanced ones, maybe not, but they won't just be waved, at least where I was interested in. When I asked about having a class waved that I'd already TAed for several times, I was told that it's still beneficial to take it with the professors at my current university and to look at it as an opportunity to think about deeper questions or concentrate on how I would teach such a class--a question you often don't consider until much later, but a very relevant one. It was very good advice and I'm glad I took that class because even though there were no new concepts, I think I learned a lot. 

If you have an advanced project (a Masters thesis say) some places will let you use that as a qualifying paper and that could save time. If you continue working within the same subfield and on roughly the same question(s), you may be able to finish early. But if you want to take the time to develop other interests or work on something other than extensions of your MA project, you will probably take just as long as people who didn't come in with an MA to begin with.

Generally programs work to equalize everybody's knowledge with required classes in the first year, and then the program is structured so you take some required and some elective classes in years 2-3, you work on 1-2 (or more) different projects that need to get to a certain place in years 2-3-4 and you then work on a dissertation project. There is not much flexibility in terms of finishing early, and as I said above, if you have funding and you want to go into academia, it's not clear that rushing through the degree is a good move at all. 

I agree. Good points. I was just curious. I guess the only way it would be faster is if you go to the same school you got your MA at. And with PhD programs, they're typically funded so you don't have the constant stress of thinking, "Am I piling up more debt?" 

I know a lot of people get an MA rather than applying directly to a PhD because their undegrad GPA was less than spectacular. I don't have that problem, but I do have zero research/teaching/publications/presentations. My LORs, GRE and GPA likely won't be much better than they are now, but I think a MS program would help me develop in those other areas to have a more attractive re'sume' for a PhD program. 

I know a lot of people get an MA rather than applying directly to a PhD because their undegrad GPA was less than spectacular. I don't have that problem, but I do have zero research/teaching/publications/presentations. My LORs, GRE and GPA likely won't be much better than they are now, but I think a MS program would help me develop in those other areas to have a more attractive re'sume' for a PhD program. 

If your LORs don't improve following a Masters program where presumably you get to work with professors one-on-one and demonstrate your research abilities, that would be quite alarming. Aside from that, I agree that a MA is a good way to get some much-needed experience to help you both make sure a PhD is right for you, and strengthen your application. 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

If your LORs don't improve following a Masters program where presumably you get to work with professors one-on-one and demonstrate your research abilities, that would be quite alarming. Aside from that, I agree that a MA is a good way to get some much-needed experience to help you both make sure a PhD is right for you, and strengthen your application. 

I guess I worded that wrong. Of course my LORs should improve after getting first-hand research experience with professors and established researchers. I guess what I meant was, as of right now, coming from undergrad, I feel like my LORs are good enough to get me into a good PhD program. But of course they could be better. 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

It depends on the school.  I have guaranteed funding for 3 years with an extra year of funding because of my Fulbright.  So, the school ultimately wants me out in 3/4 years. 

• 4 weeks later...

As I understand it, the US has some of the longest doctoral programs. The only places I know you can get a PhD in 3 years are in Europe and the UK. I know that's the case at University College London and I am pretty sure that the doctoral program University of Zürich is also 3 years.