How many ta-ships are we granted?

miss sisyphus

Hi everyone. I'm in my second year of an MFA program. I'm fortunate that I've been given a TA-ship every semester that pays for most of my tuition.  However, there are a couple of other students in my cohort who have been given at least two TA-ships  per semester (one of them currently has three!). I've asked how to go about getting another one and was told by two people (including the student who  has three) that there just aren't any. I should add that I've received complimentary emails from my students regarding my teaching. One of them said I changed her mind and that of some others about the program. I forwarded the email to my advisor, who told me to share it with the head of the department. So, those in charge  know I'm doing a good job. What's up? Did these other students cut some kind of deal? I suppose I could ask them, but I don't know how to approach the subject without sounding resentful. Which, frankly, I am.  I'm not happy with my program any more for reasons which I'll be posting on another board. (Fair warning!)  Any insight/advice? Thanks!

Sounds like these other students are doing a better job at one or more of teaching, taking initiative, knowing the right people, or being there at the right time. All you can do is do more of those things and actively seek out these other opportunities. I don't think you have a reason to be resentful, you just need to do a better job taking care of your needs, since no one else is going to do that for you. If you just sit there and hope that your good work will be noticed and rewarded without needing to actively advocate for yourself, you may be disappointed. 

I agree with fuzzy that you need to do more than just do good work and hope to be noticed. However, I do think you have the right to be resentful about this set-up because it sounds like there is no set policies about TAships are assigned. (Or maybe there is, but you have not had access to knowing how it works). In many programs, the TA assignment policies can be very clear (whether TA assignment is governed by union rules or clear departmental policies) and it's unfair when only students who know how to get extra TAships are able to get extra TAships. You could approach the subject to the department by asking them about the TA assignment policies, and basically ask what is the protocol for requesting/applying for additional TA assignments. You could also go further and request that the department communicate these policies more clearly to all its students!

I agree with fuzzy that you need to do more than just do good work and hope to be noticed. However, I do think you have the right to be resentful about this set-up because it sounds like there is no set policies about TAships are assigned. (Or maybe there is, but you have not had access to knowing how it works). In many programs, the TA assignment policies can be very clear (whether TA assignment is governed by union rules or clear departmental policies) and it's unfair when only students who know how to get extra TAships are able to get extra TAships. You could approach the subject to the department by asking them about the TA assignment policies, and basically ask what is the protocol for requesting/applying for additional TA assignments. You could also go further and request that the department communicate these policies more clearly to all its students!

Yes. This. You have a right to know the process and the rules for distributing TAships. Set up a meeting with the graduate program director and/or the administrative person in charge of the graduate program. You don't have to mention other students if you don't want to appear resentful, just ask for clarification about the process. And you should definitely check with your TA union if you have one; if you're in a union, your collective bargaining agreement should spell out how much you're 'allowed' to work and what you should be paid.

• 5 months later...

Hi. I took everyone's advice and asked the director of my school for a second ta-ship. I told him that as the single mother of two daughters, the expense of graduate school was becoming a financial burden and I might have to leave the program.  He said he could probably offer me one for an online class,  then never responded to further (polite) emails.

My advisor told me that the out-of-state students get more TA-ships because it costs them more to attend an out-of-state school.

I ended up taking the semester off to think about whether or not I want to continue giving my money to a school  that doesn't value me.