Apparently, I'm in a complaining mood.

Parnassus

Maybe I'm wrong...but I think a 3.1 GPA for undergrad is horrible. I studied history, and did well in those history classes. I'd like to go for an MA in history and maybe a PhD in Classics. Right now I'm working retail. So that's super fun. I'm pressured to always be on the real job search all the time. How about putting in for 5 jobs within one week and getting rejected by all of them. It's a bit of an ego buster. 

Meanwhile, I study fir the GRE and look at programs and wonder how I could afford it. (Currently, I have no debt.) I was thinking of finding a "real" job and working that for a year or so and building up an emergency fund. The trick is to find a job that wants to hire me. I'm just depressed, I suppose. Am I am utterly mad? What do you guys think?

Five job applications and rejections from all 5, isn't much of an indicator of anything.  Jobs open, particularly if you are using an online job site, many many resumes come in within the first hour, likely enough to not have to review any further ones.

Apply to fifty jobs, and if you land an interview from none of those, then it might be time to consider looking into resume flaws.

But I do understand your depression, working retail sucks and so does not escaping.  Do your best to continue trying and venting, many of us are or have been in your boat and can relate. 

Guest Gnome Chomsky

Yea 0/5 on a job hunt isn't a bad batting average. Also, you have zero debt in a major that doesn't make much money. At least you're not the kid who had to work in Alaska for 3 years to pay off his liberal arts BA debt and then lived in his car while pursuing a liberal arts MA. The 3.1 GPA isn't good but at least it's not 2.1. And retail sucks but at least it's not fast food. There's kids in Africa with no arms. How do they you know what? 

I can feel your pain. I really wanted to get my PhD and got into a program. My advisor was horrible and two years latter I am still trying to regain excitment about archaeology. I left the program and am working as an archaeologist. I think you really need to consider the debt you will acquire by attending grad school. One thing I wish I had been told is that any debt you take on will increase quite a bit. For two years of a program I did not complete (and this is with some funding) my debt plus interest is over 70K (life of the loan). If you are looking at a PhD in classics you need to consider what type of job you will get and how you will pay off those loans. Retail is horrible but in this economy and for the forseable feature you need to be practical. I got into a PhD program and really regret it. Best of luck in what ever you decide to do.

Some days yes some days not so much. These days I mostly review reports and do not get to go out into the field, except for pedestrian survey. I know that I am fortunate to have a job in my field with benefits. My experience in a PhD program has made me much more pragmatic. Academia is so political and that more than anything made leaving easier.