Women/Gender/Feminist Studies fall 2014

Definitely possible. Many people make the switch to interdisciplinary programs from more disciplinary fields. (Me!) You just want to be able to articulate why your area of interest "fits" better in WGS than, say, a Literature department. Much of the difference concerns methodology as well; if you're primarily interested in a comparative/literary analysis of women writers in the 18th century (even if you utilize feminist theory) I think you're better off in English.

When I was applying, I also sought out schools that offered a grad certificate or a grad minor in WGS. That might be another option if you're looking to supplement your education.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you, hj2012! Great point about needing to articulate the reason a WGS program is more fitting than an English dept. Can you recommend a couple of good books or resources about methodological practices in WGSS? I have a sense that I would be happier studying literature as merely a cultural response to broader feminist issues in women's history, rather than the primary focus of my research.

When you say nearly finished...how close?  How many women, gender, feminist study courses have you had along your BA and MA paths?  I think that you would have to show that you have the knowledge base to keep up with the program.  I wouldn't count it out necessarily especially if you have a writing sample that shows you are strong in a feminist theory foundation.

Ortega, great question. I am literally weeks away from completing my MA and I have only English classes on both my UG and G transcripts. Some of those involve dealing in great depth with feminist philosophy and contemporary gender issues, however, they are under the umbrella of literary study. I've noticed that there are some postbacc and graduate certificates in WGSS and, since I'd be applying to enter a PhD in fall of 2015, I wonder if completing one of these first is a good idea. My current uni only has UG classes in WGSS and does not offer a certificate or anything I could stick around to work on. 

I just received an offer of admission from UBC, which was exciting for about 30 seconds. They admitted me without guaranteed funding and they want my decision within a week.

"Although we are not able to offer you a funding package at this time, most international students are eligible for UBC’s International Tuition Award:https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/international-tuition-award. The GRSJ Institute routinely assigns 4-6 Graduate Teaching assistant positions and 3-4 Graduate Academic Assistantships annually to GRSJ graduate students."

I just received an offer of admission from UBC, which was exciting for about 30 seconds. They admitted me without guaranteed funding and they want my decision within a week.

"Although we are not able to offer you a funding package at this time, most international students are eligible for UBC’s International Tuition Award:https://www.grad.ubc.ca/awards/international-tuition-award. The GRSJ Institute routinely assigns 4-6 Graduate Teaching assistant positions and 3-4 Graduate Academic Assistantships annually to GRSJ graduate students."

Ah so ridiculous! Yes, I have heard terrible things about that department... was advised not to apply.

Thank you, hj2012! Great point about needing to articulate the reason a WGS program is more fitting than an English dept. Can you recommend a couple of good books or resources about methodological practices in WGSS? I have a sense that I would be happier studying literature as merely a cultural response to broader feminist issues in women's history, rather than the primary focus of my research.

From my understanding, many interdisciplinary projects can find homes in both disciplinary and interdisciplinary departments. You'll just have to weigh the balance between the two. For example, an English department would likely offer more resources for 18th-C studies than WGS, and you may find those resources more useful than the cross-fertilization offered by gender studies departments. Honestly, if you're primarily interested in the long 18th-century (and therefore will be performing mostly archival research and literary analysis), an English department (albeit one with openness to interdisciplinary topics) may be the best fit for you. You always have the option of seeking employment in WGS departments upon graduation.

If you're looking for a primer / introductory text to feminist theory, I'd recommend starting with Routledge readers, which were pretty standard in the WGS classes I took as an undergrad. We used Feminist Theory Reader and Rethinking Women's and Gender Studies. These anthologies oftentimes generate a lot of hate, but I find them incredibly useful for getting a general overview of the voices in the field and reading the highlights from important scholars and theorists. 

Hope this helps. Would you be willing to elaborate more specifically on your research interests?

From my understanding, many interdisciplinary projects can find homes in both disciplinary and interdisciplinary departments. You'll just have to weigh the balance between the two. For example, an English department would likely offer more resources for 18th-C studies than WGS, and you may find those resources more useful than the cross-fertilization offered by gender studies departments. Honestly, if you're primarily interested in the long 18th-century (and therefore will be performing mostly archival research and literary analysis), an English department (albeit one with openness to interdisciplinary topics) may be the best fit for you. You always have the option of seeking employment in WGS departments upon graduation.

If you're looking for a primer / introductory text to feminist theory, I'd recommend starting with Routledge readers, which were pretty standard in the WGS classes I took as an undergrad. We used Feminist Theory Reader and Rethinking Women's and Gender Studies. These anthologies oftentimes generate a lot of hate, but I find them incredibly useful for getting a general overview of the voices in the field and reading the highlights from important scholars and theorists. 

Hope this helps. Would you be willing to elaborate more specifically on your research interests?

Thanks so much, hj2012. Mind if I pm you? 

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone on this thread also apply to Queen's University's MA up in Ontario, Canada? Long shot, but I'm trying to put out feelers to see if there's anyone on gradcafe who might have been accepted there as well. I'm planning a visit up there to meet other candidates, but it's always nice to know what you're getting into first! Let me know. Hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there if you're waiting on more notifications. Good luck!

YO! I got accepted to queen's MA in gnds studies as well. I declined their offer because I did my undergrad there (i've accepted an offer at U of T though). Anyhow, I'm super curious how you came to it. I also know most of the profs, so if you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them :) sorry i'm a bit late to this thread, but I made an account just now to reply to this...I didn't expect a cdn shoutout here. 

Hey! I got accepted as well (I was one of the posts on the results page)... but unfortunately am not attending. Staying at U of T for my MA then heading south for a PhD, most likely. I'm not super familiar with the program but may have some insights into Canadian gender studies programs and faculty. Feel free to PM me. 

hey! i'm going to U of T for WGSI MA as well this fall! wadduppp

YO! I got accepted to queen's MA in gnds studies as well. I declined their offer because I did my undergrad there (i've accepted an offer at U of T though). Anyhow, I'm super curious how you came to it. I also know most of the profs, so if you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them :) sorry i'm a bit late to this thread, but I made an account just now to reply to this...I didn't expect a cdn shoutout here. 

i found out about it because of McKittrick and Morgensen (and when I met with McKittrick she mentioned that I was hers and Morgensen's top choice...which was NUTS to hear from someone you idolize). So I wasn't really going out of my way to like find a particular program or to go to Canada but I knew that both of them taught there and I could not pass up a program with that combination of brilliance. 

Another of the candidates went there for her undergrad as well but she's probably coming back to do the MA. I'll be hella far from home/where I did my undergrad although I thought about sticking around for our MA as well...