Women/Gender/Feminist Studies fall 2014

Me! To both, but no word from either. Word from further up the thread was that UCSC has already sent some acceptances and UW has interviewed....

Edited by allysekn

Well since I didn't get an interview for U of WA I am guessing I will be receiving a rejection soon which sucks because that was one I was really hoping for.  I got my rejection email from UCSC today which was a boo!  

Edited by Ortega

I applied to Africana Women's Studies at Clark Atlanta. I'm still getting paperwork in, though. Also, I'm having trouble with a letter writer who seems to want to sit on her hands instead of write me a dang letter.

The word on the "streets" is that funding is getting SLASHED for interdisciplinary programs and esp. ones like women's and gender studies, as well as african-american studies, ethinc studies and the like. so all these rejections are discouraging but not a reflection of us as scholars/people. anwyays good luck on those waiting to hear back!

in non-American grad program news I got an informal offer today from a Canadian program's Gender Studies MA. Whoo! I was contacted directly by one of my academic crushes who said she was working on securing more funding before an official offer since I'm an international student. Whoo! Gender Studies. Whoo.

The word on the "streets" is that funding is getting SLASHED for interdisciplinary programs and esp. ones like women's and gender studies, as well as african-american studies, ethinc studies and the like. so all these rejections are discouraging but not a reflection of us as scholars/people. anwyays good luck on those waiting to hear back!

in non-American grad program news I got an informal offer today from a Canadian program's Gender Studies MA. Whoo! I was contacted directly by one of my academic crushes who said she was working on securing more funding before an official offer since I'm an international student. Whoo! Gender Studies. Whoo.

Congrats on the offer!!  I agree that we have to remain positive in ourselves through this craziness!!  I heard from someone recently that there are tons of factors that go into the process which have nothing to do with the student.  For example, if alumni aren't producing, people aren't graduating, and on and on...

UCSB rejection just posted on the website, FYI. From past years, it looks like UW takes its sweet time to send out rejections.

I'm actually pretty close to making a decision. The only unknown that remains is UBC's Gender, Race, Sexuality, and Social Justice program. Did anyone else apply? Has anyone heard anything?

Anyone on this thread also apply to Queen's University's MA up in Ontario, Canada? Long shot, but I'm trying to put out feelers to see if there's anyone on gradcafe who might have been accepted there as well. I'm planning a visit up there to meet other candidates, but it's always nice to know what you're getting into first! Let me know. Hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there if you're waiting on more notifications. Good luck!

Anyone on this thread also apply to Queen's University's MA up in Ontario, Canada? Long shot, but I'm trying to put out feelers to see if there's anyone on gradcafe who might have been accepted there as well. I'm planning a visit up there to meet other candidates, but it's always nice to know what you're getting into first! Let me know. Hope everyone is doing well and hanging in there if you're waiting on more notifications. Good luck!

Hey! I got accepted as well (I was one of the posts on the results page)... but unfortunately am not attending. Staying at U of T for my MA then heading south for a PhD, most likely. I'm not super familiar with the program but may have some insights into Canadian gender studies programs and faculty. Feel free to PM me. 

I know I asked this before, but checking in again: anyone hear anything from Washington? It's been forever (much much longer than they said) since the interview, and I am nervous to just call and inquire.

I know I asked this before, but checking in again: anyone hear anything from Washington? It's been forever (much much longer than they said) since the interview, and I am nervous to just call and inquire.

I got my rejection letter via mail today.

I'm sorry to hear that.

Now I know to be on the lookout for some old school hard copy rejection action heading my way :P   

Me too. What an interesting way to send notification. 

Me too. What an interesting way to send notification.

I got a rejection letter as well. I actually was impressed, because they personalized it to state the reasons I wasn't admitted (research fit). They said they only had the resources to admit 2 out of 60 applicants.

I got a rejection letter as well. I actually was impressed, because they personalized it to state the reasons I wasn't admitted (research fit). They said they only had the resources to admit 2 out of 60 applicants.

That is really nice, it seems like many rejection emails are form and not really informative. I'm sorry to hear you didn't get in, but know you'll end up at the program that's best for you!  I haven't heard either way yet, but assume I probably have a rejection coming through the mail.

I am so antsy because I want to just accept the offer at the school I really want to end up at, but am waiting to hear from my last two schools, both which seem to have much later responses.

HAHA I just got an rejection email from U of WA today...I'm like uhm you guys already sent me a letter, I know...I suck! Salt in wounds... :P

HAHA I just got an rejection email from U of WA today...I'm like uhm you guys already sent me a letter, I know...I suck! Salt in wounds... :P

The same thing happened to me. With a 3.3% acceptance rate (2/60), I don't think you can infer much about your intelligence or ability to succeed in graduate studies from a U of WA rejection. :)    

Hi, all. 

I have a slightly OT question. I'm nearly finished with my MA in English. My research interests revolve around the long 18th-century and feminist theory. While I love literature, I feel a deeper affinity with feminist philosophy and activism. With a BA and an MA in literature, would I even stand a chance in the application season? I have an excellent GPA for both undergrad and grad as well as a full CV, including national conferences and a publication. (Granted, these are all in the field of literary study.) Give it to me straight. How realistic is it to switch to WGS at this point in the game? My apologies for the OT post. Thanks, in advance, for your insight! 

Hi, all. 

I have a slightly OT question. I'm nearly finished with my MA in English. My research interests revolve around the long 18th-century and feminist theory. While I love literature, I feel a deeper affinity with feminist philosophy and activism. With a BA and an MA in literature, would I even stand a chance in the application season? I have an excellent GPA for both undergrad and grad as well as a full CV, including national conferences and a publication. (Granted, these are all in the field of literary study.) Give it to me straight. How realistic is it to switch to WGS at this point in the game? My apologies for the OT post. Thanks, in advance, for your insight! 

Definitely possible. Many people make the switch to interdisciplinary programs from more disciplinary fields. (Me!) You just want to be able to articulate why your area of interest "fits" better in WGS than, say, a Literature department. Much of the difference concerns methodology as well; if you're primarily interested in a comparative/literary analysis of women writers in the 18th century (even if you utilize feminist theory) I think you're better off in English.

When I was applying, I also sought out schools that offered a grad certificate or a grad minor in WGS. That might be another option if you're looking to supplement your education.

Best of luck to you!

The same thing happened to me. With a 3.3% acceptance rate (2/60), I don't think you can infer much about your intelligence or ability to succeed in graduate studies from a U of WA rejection. :)    

Thank you and you are right! :)

Hi, all. 

When you say nearly finished...how close?  How many women, gender, feminist study courses have you had along your BA and MA paths?  I think that you would have to show that you have the knowledge base to keep up with the program.  I wouldn't count it out necessarily especially if you have a writing sample that shows you are strong in a feminist theory foundation.