Applied and denied to grad school twice, 3rd time's the charm?

hmhandley

I have applied to master's programs for Speech-Language Pathology two years in a row now. The first year was while I was a senior (undergrad), the second time was the year right after I graduated. Both times I have been wait-listed to half the schools I applied to, but in the end was denied acceptance. My experience has more than doubled since my first year applying, I currently work part time in a preschool at a speech and hearing center. My GPA is only 3.4 and a 3.23 in my major (low for speech path students), and my GRE scores have been very average both times I have taken it.

Has anyone had success in applying to graduate school a third year in a row? Any suggestions to make my application stronger, if I should even apply again?

Thanks.

My best friend was just accepted to GW's grad program in Speech Pathology right after graduation. She was actually denied everywhere else too but ended up getting off the wait list from GW at the very end. Here's what she did:

-Lots and lots of experience. As far as I can remember, she worked at a media lab for two years transcribing and doing speech-related projects. Worked at an autistic children's camp for a summer. Worked at a preschool and did a literacy program for the spanish-speaking children. I know there's some I am forgetting, but she had LOTS of speech-related volunteer/work experience.

-Once she was put on the wait list, she sent in additional materials and a letter stating how she was still interested in the program. I believe she ended up sending one more LOR...

-Her GPA was the same as yours (or around that area) but the lady she spoke to after getting off the wait list at GW basically told her that it was her persistence and additional materials that got her off the wait list. I think that's key to getting off a wait list. Apply once more if you want and make sure you also apply to some lower schools that are safeties. 

How many schools are you applying to?  Your GPA is not that bad, and your GRE scores may be average but there's nothing wrong with average.  I have a friend who just finished the SLP program at my university who openly admitted her GRE scores were bad.  Is it possible that you need to cast a wider net?

In addition to what the other posters have said I would take a look at the sop.  Have you had several people review/edit it?  Maybe your passion for the field and readiness for grad school isn't coming across.  Also are you sure your LOR writers are raving about you?  Sometimes they'll let you see a copy of their letter, which would show if someone is writing a mediocre "Had student x in class, they did well and I think they'd be great at your school" type letter.

I have applied to master's programs for Speech-Language Pathology two years in a row now. The first year was while I was a senior (undergrad), the second time was the year right after I graduated. Both times I have been wait-listed to half the schools I applied to, but in the end was denied acceptance. My experience has more than doubled since my first year applying, I currently work part time in a preschool at a speech and hearing center. My GPA is only 3.4 and a 3.23 in my major (low for speech path students), and my GRE scores have been very average both times I have taken it.

Has anyone had success in applying to graduate school a third year in a row? Any suggestions to make my application stronger, if I should even apply again?

Thanks.

If they accept new students more than once a year it would behoove you to apply during the off-peak semester(s).

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to nine my first year, that was before I really had experience. Last year due to finances I only applied to four schools. I am looking into a wider variety of schools this year and paying closer attention to the average GPA and GRE scores of accepted students. I have found a couple of schools that accept students more than once a year and am in the process of applying to one at the moment. Your posts have given me some hope, thank you all for your help!