Is it necessary to submit ALL transcripts?

matryushka

Hello everyone,

I have been really struggling with whether or not to submit a transcript from a university I attended for one semester. I went to a non-traditional high school at a community college, and as such I have a college transcript from a community college. Then I have a transcript from the university from which I graduated. My freshman year, I attended another university for one semester. I got very very ill, left campus halfway through the semester, and attempted to withdraw from all of my courses. I am not even sure if my withdrawals went through, as I left that campus in a rush and never followed up. I did relatively well throughout the rest of undergrad with the exception of a disastrous last semester. I already have to explain my circumstances for my final semester (illness and death of a close friend). Should I send the transcript from that other university although I received no credit for any courses and barely spent two months there? If I do not send it, will I be penalized?

It is considered dishonest not to; you could, in theory, face revocation of an admissions offer. Furthermore, your current university ought to have those others on file (provided you filled out this application honestly and listed all other undergraduate work); at some point, grad schools will notice the discrepancy.

You should check the application policy. For some of the places I applied to, they only wanted transcripts from schools where you earned a degree. So you might not have to! But if you do, I think the consequence of being caught lying on your application is far worse than a single semester where you had to withdraw.

You could always ask the secretary, or get them to direct you else where.  If the vast bulk of your grades are in one or two particular places and you had only a single course elsewhere, they might be willing to settle..

This kind of information is very easy to find out, so I would go ahead and submit the transcript just to be safe.  You can very briefly explain that you got a very serious illness that caused you to withdraw and transfer to another university.  If you did well somewhere else, this shouldn't be too much of a blip.