Aussie SLP graduate

tngu

Hi everyone,

Nice to meet you! I'm a Canadian student studying for my masters degree in SLP here in Australia. I will be graduating in November 2013 and was wondering if there is anyone out there who is either in the same boat or can give me some advice. I'm hoping to move to the US to work there, and from what I've seen on the ASHA website so far I have some questions:

1) do I still qualify under the 2005 certification? I'm pretty sure I do but just double checking =)

2) I saw on the website that in applying for ASHA certification I need to have my CFY done first. I'm just worried that by the time I do finish my CFY I will no longer qualify under the 2005 certification. So can I apply for certification, then do the Praxis exam?

3) requirement of social/behavioural science: I haven't done a social/behavioural science in my masters degree but have done heaps of psychology courses as an undergrad. Does that count?

If anyone knows or can possibly point me in the right direction that would be a HUGE help. Thanks everyone!!

Hi tngu! I actually don't have any answer to your question. I was just wondering why you opt to work in America instead of there in Australia where you already are. I'm asking because I got into an Australian university for 2014, but I'm also in the process of applying to some US schools so I can have more options.   

Hi Yumangous. 

Yeah I thought about perhaps staying here in Aus to work for a few years but have decided to head home and move to where my partner lives, which is in the US!

Oh alright. I thought your reasons were due to differences in how the profession works (e.g. working as a foreign SLP, professional certification, etc) in both countries and stuff life that, which might be worth considering as well in my case. :)

Anyway, best of luck to you and congratulations on your forthcoming graduation! :) 

I was wondering how you went about applying to speech programs internationally. Are they hard to get into? any information you can give me about gaining my masters abroad would be helpful. I am looking into wanting to go abroad.

Hi Dutt0058,

I applied to two schools in Australia and got accepted to both. As far as I know, getting into a masters program in SLP there is also quite competitive. However, I must say that the application process in Australia is much less stressful than there in the United States because there are fewer requirements. For one thing, they do not require the GRE!! Recommendation letters also aren't required by all programs, although some conduct interviews.   

Yumangous- I am curious to know about international certifications. I am applying for my masters currently in the US, though there's a chance I may end up over seas as a result of my boyfriend's job. Is it just a certification course after the masters or something I should look into including with my degree?

Hi NCAR823,

In Australia, the entry level for the SLP profession is only a bachelor's degree. Hence, contrary to the US, most masters programs in Australia are actually geared towards people who have not studied speech pathology as their undergraduate program. They usually prefer people coming from related fields, e.g. linguistics, psychology, etc. In fact, one of the schools I was initially interested in, La Trobe University, discouraged me to apply to their program because I have already earned by bachelor's in SLP in the Philippines. But of course, I still want to pursue my master's so I can practice the profession in different parts of the world. Therefore, I think you might not have to take any certification course/post-bacc courses similar to what US out-of-field applicants need to take. At least that's as far as I remember.    

• 1 year later...

Hi Yumangous, I hope you're reading this. I was wondering what the interview involved for flinders university as you got into both courses? If you could let me know, I would greatly appreciate it, as I was shortlisted for their interviews. Thanks so much in advance