Research assistantship

Hi guys!

Although I'm considering applying this cycle to grad school, I am afraid that my research experience is not enough if compared to that of typical American applicants (things in Europe are way different in this sense :D ). So, I would also like to consider looking for a research assistant position, as I've heard it is a really good chance to improve your application and make contacts.

However, I don't know how this actually works... Available positions are posted on universities' websites? Or there are some kind of webpage gathering different offers? Is it possible for international students to get this positions?

Any help would be appreciated!

Well, how much research experience do you have? Maybe it's sufficient for you to apply.

As for your question, some students work as a lab manager or research assistant in the US to improve their application, but I'm not sure how easy it is to get a visa for such work. I can imagine it's not at all straightforward. I'm not sure how BioMed works, but in my field there is a website where universities post job openings and there is another website where people collect information about anything that they hear. If that doesn't exist in your field, you may have to contact possible labs and ask whether they may have an opening. But again, you should read about how the visa would work for these cases, because I think it may be complicated. I think it may be easier to find such work in your own country, and in that case probably the best way to get a position is through contacts. Either your professors can hire you, or they might know of someone who can. If that is not possible, the most common way international students get the necessary experience and the personal contact with professors for letters of recommendation is by doing a Masters degree before applying to grad school.

Just two full-time research experience for 8 weeks each, although both in really competitive programs.

I was thinking of trying to get such a position in the US so that I can meet faculty there and make contacts who may help in the application process.

As for your answer, thanks! It's what I was thinking, getting a work visa for this kind of things may be tough, so I can give it a chance here in Europe...

I'm a GRA and my only research experience was with my undergrad and Master's thesis.  My position was not listed but was offered as part of my funding package.

It depends a lot on the program you are applying to.