Full time program vs part time program MSW

daisydukes

Hello,

I am going to apply to grad school, and I do not know whether to apply to the full time (2yr) or part time (3 yr) program? I would like to get my degree as soon as possible, however, I know that I am going to have to pay rent & bills, and it seems as though with the 2 yr program, people barely have time to work. I want to avoid taking out as much loans as possible. Also, I've read that the work load in grad school is pretty intense. With the 3yr program, it seems as though the classes are spread out between the 3 years, which gives more time to study & work. 

My question is: Would you recommend the 3 year or the 2 year MSW program? Pros? & Cons? For those who are in the 3 year program, what is it like? And for those who are in the 2 year program, what is it like?

Thanks!

Looking at your other posts, since you have a BSW you can apply for advance standing at most MSW programs. If you are admitted you can complete the program in a year. Have you looked into this?

• 2 weeks later...

I am in the FT program, but I have some night classes so I spend a lot of time with PT students as well. In my experience, the PT and FT crowd is different -- which will show in class discussions. FT is often younger students, many with limited work experience. PT is often older students with substantial experience. I do hear a lot of gripes from both parties about wishing they had done the track they didn't choose. I think that just comes with being in a stressful program that no one enjoys 100% of the time.  

Your choice will depend on what your life looks like right now -- my advice is if you don't have to work, and are not at a job that is either relevant to your SW goals or enjoyable, do the FT track and get it over with.

I agree with the above post and would like to add, if you must work for financial reasons and think work might get in the way of your success at grad school then seriously consider the 3 year program. It's only 1 extra year of schooling, which isn't very much time at all. If you need to take out a loan to cover some of your expenses, as a part time student you'll accumulate less debt and interest which will cost you less in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same place as OP! I'm looking into SUNY Albany's part-time program, but that one says it'll take 4 years. There are some exemption exams available for some courses but all that means is that I'd take electives instead. Does anyone know why some programs are 3 years and this is 4? Any idea on whether I could take a class more at a time to make it go more quickly?

• 1 month later...

You may be able to take some elective's over the summer to help spread the course load out a bit. If you are working to pay bills and expect to do well in a MSW I would go with part time.  My school's part time is actually 3 quarters time which keeps us all plenty busy! I am sure it may depend on the program, but you may find you get less out of the experience because you won't have the time to dedicate to the readings. 

• 2 weeks later...

Something to consider, when looking at part-time vs full-time student status, is the availability of merit-based/academic scholarships and/or grants.  Some scholarships and grants are only available to students who are full-time, and many part-time programs may start off part-time but in the 2nd and 3rd year are generally "full-time" (e.g., 12+ credits per semester).  I don't know how it is at all programs, but most of the ones I've looked at that have part-time options allow students who enroll in full-time to switch to part-time; however, those who begin part-time cannot switch to full-time.