What Dissertation Awards are Available Out There?

Phill Davis

So I am just starting the the thrid year of my NSF GRFP, which will come to an end in Aug 2014. I will have all of my class and research hours completed by Spring 2014, but I am still gioing to need another 1, maybe 2 semesters to complete my dissertation. So what awards are available out there for students on the tail-end of their graduate journey?  This is an issue I am just now starting to look at, but a few quick preliminary looks on the Google machine have turned up very little.

Any ideas?

The NSF dissertation improvement grant. If you want a grant starting this summer, you will need to apply for the nearest deadline, so you need to start thinking of a dissertation project and proposal. There are also field-specific fellowships in some fields. It really depends on whether you need to go to archives, go into the field, pay subject or whatnot. There are some fellowships geared towards very specific needs of some fields. 

The NSF dissertation improvement grant. If you want a grant starting this summer, you will need to apply for the nearest deadline, so you need to start thinking of a dissertation project and proposal. There are also field-specific fellowships in some fields. It really depends on whether you need to go to archives, go into the field, pay subject or whatnot. There are some fellowships geared towards very specific needs of some fields. 

FYI the DDIG is a research grant, not a fellowship, and cannot be used to pay tuition/stipend for those last couple semesters.