PHD Bioengineering/Biomedical engineering applications Fall 2014 profiles

T.J

Got an email from UMinn this morning asking to schedule a skype interview for jan 22 or 23. I will be interviewing with the prof conducting all interviews for those that indicated cellular/tissue engineering as a top research preference. From the results page it sounds like they accept/reject almost immediately after a skype or phone call and offer recruitment weekends end of march/first week of april. I wouldn't mind a trip to Minnesota in the spring!

Groundtruth: you aren't alone in the comp bio/image analysis group! 

Got an email from UMinn this morning asking to schedule a skype interview for jan 22 or 23. I will be interviewing with the prof conducting all interviews for those that indicated cellular/tissue engineering as a top research preference. From the results page it sounds like they accept/reject almost immediately after a skype or phone call and offer recruitment weekends end of march/first week of april. I wouldn't mind a trip to Minnesota in the spring!

Groundtruth: you aren't alone in the comp bio/image analysis group! 

congrats on UMinn , Minn is a good biomedical engineering City . you can establish industry contacts early on if this is your plan.

i got the umichigan reject...

any idea about the procedure at UCB; are PIs involved or not with the application procedure??

history states that they send out mass rejections over few days..last year it was 31 jan/1 feb; the year before 18/19 jan. i believe this year, it will be within the week.

Edited by abhijit1729

any idea about the procedure at UCB; are PIs involved or not with the application procedure??

history states that they send out mass rejections over few days..last year it was 31 jan/1 feb; the year before 18/19 jan. i believe this year, it will be within the week.

I have no idea if they are involved or not at UCB specifically, but at all the schools I have heard from so far as well at my home institution, it seems that the faculty in your specified field of interest will get the opportunity to review applications  at some point. 

..... I'm getting so nervous to hear back from the rest of my schools! I've been creeping on the archived results stuff from years past as well and have concluded that I am going to have a very nervous two weeks of fumbling for my phone anytime I hear an email notification noise/vibration. Best of luck to everyone else that is waiting to hear back from schools as well!!

i got the umichigan reject...

Sorry about your michigan reject. Dont loose hope !!!

idd bro this is what needs to be done to remain positive till April.

Wait till feb to start, every day will go very slow...!

Some UPITT bioengineering are out :( nothing here yet.

When I saw the results, I thought you guys must have gotten your results... I got no email from UPitt so far. I notice that they are all "Americans - A". International here.. so fingers crossed!

GRE: Q: 800 (93%) V: 740 (99%) AW: 4.0 (54%)

Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS): International, obtained B.S. and M.S. in USA; TOEFL 116/120 iBT

UG GPA: 2.92/4.00 (Top20 US university) :(

Masters GPA: 3.46/4.00 (Top10 US university)

Research experience: 1.5yrs undergrad research, 2yrs MS reasearch, 3yrs research in industry

Research publications, patents, conferences:

2 journal articles (2nd author, 3rd author), 

1 review article in press, 3 manuscripts in progress

1 patent

6 poster presentations in conferences

PHD intended specialization

Drug delivery, biomaterials, tissue engineering

University list:

UCB/UCSF BE

Yale BME

Purdue BME

Hopkins BME

Hopkins ChemBE

Harvard BE

Duke BME

UPenn BE

Northwestern BME

Stanford BE

UWashington BE

I haven't heard from any of them :(

GRE: Q: 800 (93%) V: 740 (99%) AW: 4.0 (54%)

Domestic/International (TOEFL/IELTS): International, obtained B.S. and M.S. in USA; TOEFL 116/120 iBT

UG GPA: 2.92/4.00 (Top20 US university) :(

Masters GPA: 3.46/4.00 (Top10 US university)

Research experience: 1.5yrs undergrad research, 2yrs MS reasearch, 3yrs research in industry

Research publications, patents, conferences:

2 journal articles (2nd author, 3rd author), 

1 review article in press, 3 manuscripts in progress

1 patent

6 poster presentations in conferences

PHD intended specialization

Drug delivery, biomaterials, tissue engineering

University list:

UCB/UCSF BE

Yale BME

Purdue BME

Hopkins BME

Hopkins ChemBE

Harvard BE

Duke BME

UPenn BE

Northwestern BME

Stanford BE

UWashington BE

I haven't heard from any of them :(

Good profile, good luck

I would like to ask for you guys' frank opinions about my profile. Do you guys think i have any good chance at any of those schools?

I think my biggest weakness is the GPA, and i have been trying to compensate for that with research experience in the fields of my interest.

I do have LOR from renowned professors and research scientists of respective fields.

I'm getting very very nervous as some of the results seem to be out already. I.e. Stanford, UCB, Duke...

I would love to get your opinion or advice!

Thank you!

I don't know about the others, I believe you have a very strong profile , but the problem is a lot of other people have such a profile and applying to the same program you are applying too. Since you are an international you are probably in a race to only half of the positions or even less . you applied to very competitve programs in Cities where a lot and a lot of international and local applicants apply. did you consider also strong programs but in less popular cities like Pittsburgh , Cleveland , Michigan, Chicago ?

If you don't get in it s not because of your profile it s because places are limited. 

When did u you apply to the programs ? I would have applied the same day they open the applications.

I would like to ask for you guys' frank opinions about my profile. Do you guys think i have any good chance at any of those schools?

I think my biggest weakness is the GPA, and i have been trying to compensate for that with research experience in the fields of my interest.

I do have LOR from renowned professors and research scientists of respective fields.

I'm getting very very nervous as some of the results seem to be out already. I.e. Stanford, UCB, Duke...

I would love to get your opinion or advice!

Thank you!

Something to keep in mind also is that these schools are looking for fit as well  For instance, if Duke is only looking for BME students with imaging focus, then that is who will be selected, above other highly qualified BME candidates who specailize, say in tissue engineering.  It is all about where they have funded openings and taking the best candidates in that pool.

Anyone else noticing a spike in anonymous viewers in Linkedin? 

Yup. I'm guessing they're from review committees? I identified one of them through those "I'll show you 6 possible people that looked" because they were within my network by like 2 or 3 degrees of separation I think. It was one of my POIs.

just got refusal email from MIT.

Same here--within 2 minutes I also got a rejection from Berkeley/SF. I already knew I was out of the running for UCB/SF but the timing was still poor, haha.

I think my email check frequency is now approaching 1 check /5min. I wish the BU decisions would trickle out a little more quickly.

I noticed lots of JHU students in my "also viewed" column, so I am thinking it may be JHU.

Haha stalking the stalkers... I am so tempted to upgrade my linkedin account so I can figure out who exactly looked, but I'm too cheap to do it.

I am still so incredibly anxious about hearing back from places, especially since there was that influx of MIT and UCB/SF rejections today :( 

Yup. I'm guessing they're from review committees? I identified one of them through those "I'll show you 6 possible people that looked" because they were within my network by like 2 or 3 degrees of separation I think. It was one of my POIs.

Yes. Have a lot of people visit my LinkedIn recently. Good thing may be?