PHD Bioengineering/Biomedical engineering applications Fall 2014 profiles

T.J

Oh I actually had a question for you guys but forgot to mention it.

As you guys know I was accepted to JHU's Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering program, and not that it really matters, but i was just wondering where this program should be categorized in the US News rankings. The program itself is very bio-oriented with a mix of chemical engineering and maybe some environmental (biological) engineering.

Nonetheless, I think they're both great programs (obviously JHU BME is #1) and I am also very happy to see great results coming in for a lot of people here!

u had a feeling no ?

congrats

Haha well I mean I had a feeling that I was going to get like 2 interviews and have an easy day choosing between programs... this is unexpected and kind of cool. I'm really excited to visit everywhere and to figure out where is best for me. I'm also excited to meet all the people I'll be working with the future and all the current big wigs!

Can't waittt. There should be classes on campus called "preparing for your grad school interview". Because I don't know what I'm doing... 

Hi all,

Someone just shared Illinois at Urbanna Champaign. Does anyone know of this school.

I called  the graduate coordinator and she told me that it would become available in the next couple of week. Haven't heard back from them :(.

Only one of the results entries I could find for BU had a comment about it. It sounds like they inform people on the waitlist in early to mid-april. Unfortunately that would mean you wouldn't be able to visit for their open house/recruitment weekend. Seems like they waitlist more people than any other BME program I've seen.

If you don't mind me asking, what time of the day did you get your email from BU?

I got an email between 9 and 10 est. I wonder what their acceptance rate from the wait list is. It almost seems pointless because if they don't notify you until April and you can't visit, then surely you woul have already chosen somewhere else.

Anywho! I got accepted to Rice bioE late last night!

I got an email between 9 and 10 est. I wonder what their acceptance rate from the wait list is. It almost seems pointless because if they don't notify you until April and you can't visit, then surely you woul have already chosen somewhere else.

Anywho! I got accepted to Rice bioE late last night!

congrats .

@ gmedlo it will be reasonable to consider that 2-3 people could be admitted from a wait list. How deep in the ranking ? no one can know that. :)

Uw reject - BioEngineering.......

Somehow not that disappointed... although i want & should to be... !

... Looks like 3 others posted their rejects today.

Aww sorry to hear that! You're probably not upset because you know deep down that you'll get other offers that you will love!

Btw just wondering, how did you know that there was a "high number of competitive applicants this year"? (As you noted in your signature). Do you call all the grad offices or something? 

Aww sorry to hear that! You're probably not upset because you know deep down that you'll get other offers that you will love!

Btw just wondering, how did you know that there was a "high number of competitive applicants this year"? (As you noted in your signature). Do you call all the grad offices or something? 

"Unfortunately, the committee has decided not to recommend your admission and I concur with this decision.  The number and quality of graduate applicants to the University of Washington are extraordinary and these difficult decisions are reached through careful consideration of all applicants to a given program.  In many cases, enrollment restrictions are also a factor, limiting our ability to accept all qualified applicants."

My thoughts on Engg Vs Sci.:

I think in my mind, I am more interested in Biomed sci than engineering at this point for several reasons. I suppose its a good opportunity to pour my thoughts out at this point. In the field of tissue engineering, we are kind of on the fringes of unknown territory. biology - developmental and regenerative biology is not properly known and I think the future is in solving the science and applying engineering from that perspective. For instance, since the advent of human genome mapping which got accomplished 10 years ago, Genomic testing, technologies have burgeoned. Cancer - which is the best understood human disease (due to funding) after infections, is still mysterious. Human genome mapped entire genome of humans. But, The cancer genome atlas (TCGA) is trying to map 200s of different cancer types, 50 samples per cancer. And the technology is available at a fraction of cost (compared to before) to do this. This is like 200s human genome projects.

My perspective:Similar large scale efforts are needed to understand tissue engineering, regenerative medicine, pathologies of different diseases and conditions. It is inevitable that we engineers have to start embracing these technologies (genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, etc) to solve problems. What best place to get trained on them than at biomed sciences???

CMU

February 7, 2014

PhD Student Open House   from the biomedical engineer website. I guess a rejection will be coming this way !.

One of my good friend who did MS at CMU - MSE, told me not to go to CMU for biomaterials/Tissue Eng. as the professors don't have any funding. I wasn't aware of this before and regret applying there. The competition must be pretty intense then if there are less spots availabl.e

One of my good friend who did MS at CMU - MSE, told me not to go to CMU for biomaterials/Tissue Eng. as the professors don't have any funding. I wasn't aware of this before and regret applying there. The competition must be pretty intense then if there are less spots availabl.e

Did u identify a PI to work with ? and he has open positions ?

Did u identify a PI to work with ? and he has open positions ?

do you mean at CMU? I talked with a PI (who is the only one responded) and was in contact with him. But its not an interview by any means. He was just encouraging me to apply to the BME dept and had told me that he may expect to have a position. The dept hasn't made a decision yet on my application so far!

"Unfortunately, the committee has decided not to recommend your admission and I concur with this decision.  The number and quality of graduate applicants to the University of Washington are extraordinary and these difficult decisions are reached through careful consideration of all applicants to a given program.  In many cases, enrollment restrictions are also a factor, limiting our ability to accept all qualified applicants."

My thoughts on Engg Vs Sci.:

I think in my mind, I am more interested in Biomed sci than engineering at this point for several reasons. I suppose its a good opportunity to pour my thoughts out at this point. In the field of tissue engineering, we are kind of on the fringes of unknown territory. biology - developmental and regenerative biology is not properly known and I think the future is in solving the science and applying engineering from that perspective. For instance, since the advent of human genome mapping which got accomplished 10 years ago, Genomic testing, technologies have burgeoned. Cancer - which is the best understood human disease (due to funding) after infections, is still mysterious. Human genome mapped entire genome of humans. But, The cancer genome atlas (TCGA) is trying to map 200s of different cancer types, 50 samples per cancer. And the technology is available at a fraction of cost (compared to before) to do this. This is like 200s human genome projects.

My perspective:Similar large scale efforts are needed to understand tissue engineering, regenerative medicine, pathologies of different diseases and conditions. It is inevitable that we engineers have to start embracing these technologies (genomics, proteomics, metabolomics, etc) to solve problems. What best place to get trained on them than at biomed sciences???

I agree with you. It's a growing field of knowledge for all the diseases and areas that you mentioned. I think that's ultimately what makes biomedical sciences and biomedical engineeing both very exciting fields to be in.

I also think that a lot of BME labs do biomedical science stuff on the side. Like, I work in a tissue engineering lab and my current project is more biomedical science--y than engineer-y. I find all of it really cool , but opted for BME programs only (probably because I didn't know much aboutv biomedical science programs haha).

I received the same letter from Washington today. It's quite disappointing considering the POI was very enthusiastic of my background and even said he will recommend me to the adcom :( oh well!

I also agree that we need some sort of large scale effort in tissue engineering. Among all sub-topics of BME, i feel like tissue engineering is one of the most uncertain area, with extreme difficulty to commercialize many of the technologies.

But we are the ones who can solve such problems!! We have many years of research in front of us so lets tackle on problems one by one!

do you mean at CMU? I talked with a PI (who is the only one responded) and was in contact with him. But its not an interview by any means. He was just encouraging me to apply to the BME dept and had told me that he may expect to have a position. The dept hasn't made a decision yet on my application so far!

same thing here, i was encouraged to apply by PI but silence ever since

I agree with you. It's a growing field of knowledge for all the diseases and areas that you mentioned. I think that's ultimately what makes biomedical sciences and biomedical engineeing both very exciting fields to be in.

I also think that a lot of BME labs do biomedical science stuff on the side. Like, I work in a tissue engineering lab and my current project is more biomedical science--y than engineer-y. I find all of it really cool , but opted for BME programs only (probably because I didn't know much aboutv biomedical science programs haha).

I received the same letter from Washington today. It's quite disappointing considering the POI was very enthusiastic of my background and even said he will recommend me to the adcom :( oh well!

I also agree that we need some sort of large scale effort in tissue engineering. Among all sub-topics of BME, i feel like tissue engineering is one of the most uncertain area, with extreme difficulty to commercialize many of the technologies.

But we are the ones who can solve such problems!! We have many years of research in front of us so lets tackle on problems one by one!

:), Perhaps 5-8 yrs down the lane, we could be seeing each other in conferences/universities/industries/consultant/developing technologies/reviewing each other's grants, etc. Lets keep these ideas in mind that we discussed here to solve big problems in future :)

:), Perhaps 5-8 yrs down the lane, we could be seeing each other in conferences/universities/industries/consultant/developing technologies/reviewing each other's grants, etc. Lets keep these ideas in mind that we discussed here to solve big problems in future :)

Haha yes! That sounds like a fantastic idea. I think all of us will be destined for great things and cross paths many times in the future :)

Hey all, I'm applying to BME and some cancer bio programs and I just realized this forum exists. Has anybody heard anything back from UMich BME yet? I saw a post a few pages back about a rejection, but have they sent out invitations for interviews yet? Thanks!

Hi hopeful engineer,

I think they sent some out on the 17th. If you go to the top of the page, you can click the results search tab and the enter "michigan biomedical engineering" into the query and see the results for the F14 cycle so far. They could send out more in the future - maybe someone else here has more insight on how they do things at michigan?