PHD Bioengineering/Biomedical engineering applications Fall 2014 profiles

T.J

Oh wow, it's great to hear the campus is nice! I've never been to the west coast! So I'm excited. I sent my list of four faculty a while back, as they asked, but haven't heard back if I have all 4 scheduled or not. Maybe if I don't hear back by Tuesday, I'll call the secretary.

I actually did an REU at Penn, and it was a wonderful experience. The campus is pretty nice, though a little smaller than other places. The students are great to talk to bc they care about more than just STEM fields (in contrast to my UG, where most people are just hard core science/bio/med). I'm sure you'll have a great time! :)

I had my first Stanford interview yesterday! It went well, I think. She grilled me on my research and then had me do a thought experiment with her. I'd like to think I gave the interviewer educated answers haha. I guess I'll find out later!!

I haven't heard from my other 3 professors yet, but this one was the person that I consider my person of interest :) I'm guessing they're just really busy right now because the visit is this week.

And.. can't wait! Two days until Penn! :D

I had my first Stanford interview yesterday! It went well, I think. She grilled me on my research and then had me do a thought experiment with her. I'd like to think I gave the interviewer educated answers haha. I guess I'll find out later!!

I haven't heard from my other 3 professors yet, but this one was the person that I consider my person of interest :) I'm guessing they're just really busy right now because the visit is this week.

I haven't had an interview yet where the interviewer really grilled me on my research! Though one of them asked a lot of probing questions about the minor details of my work. I guess we all need to be super prepared this week; schools like Stanford/Penn get a lot of great applicants, and probably grill you to figure out if you really know what you're talking about. I'm sure you did great though! I'm really excited to visit Stanford this week! :D 

Best of luck, and have a great time at Penn!! :) 

I haven't had an interview yet where the interviewer really grilled me on my research! Though one of them asked a lot of probing questions about the minor details of my work. I guess we all need to be super prepared this week; schools like Stanford/Penn get a lot of great applicants, and probably grill you to figure out if you really know what you're talking about. I'm sure you did great though! I'm really excited to visit Stanford this week! :D 

Best of luck, and have a great time at Penn!! :)

Thanks !! Best of luck to you too. Let me know how it is at Stanford :) ask about Bio-X and their biotechnology training grants, those really caught my attention.

One down! 

Can't wait to get through my first one! I feel unprepared.  :unsure:  

One down! 

Can't wait to get through my first one! I feel unprepared.  :unsure:  

Lol, uprepared is my middle name. I just tried to relax so that the thoughts would flow :)

I have two more for Stanford apparently. I got in touch with the secretary and she said she'll remind the other two to contact me

Did anyone else receive the email from Student Universe on behalf of Harvard SEAS? I called admissions because I haven't received any other notifications, and the person I talked to said it was a mistake on the travel agency's part. I wonder if it was a slip to all applicants or only those who were admitted? Losing my mind over here. 

I just received an email from Harvard SEAS saying I have been waitlisted (even though when I called them immediately after receiving the email, they said I had been accepted). My guess is, if you haven't heard from a faculty member yet but you received the email from StudentUniverse, it means you've been waitlisted too.

Looks like 2 people already got into Cornell - Biomed Eng and they have notified this by phone.

Inside Information: Cornell is doing rolling admissions over the next few weeks, keep your fingers crossed ;)

Thank you. I almost gave up today. Jumpy when my phone buzzes. Hope I get good news.

Inside Information: Cornell is doing rolling admissions over the next few weeks, keep your fingers crossed ;)

Hi,

I need your advice my friends. I have been admitted to the UIUC bio engineering program thus far. But, this school seems to be my ultimate choice since I do n't anticipate any better offer. I know that UIUC is perfectly reputed for its engineering program while its bioengineering is n't really something based on US news ranking.

Can anyone give me an insight about this program? 

I am an MSE major and I am supposed to work on bioimaging as my PhD thesis as UIUC.

Thanks for sharing.

Michigan ann arbor - rejected

sorry to heart that. 

am starting to think that competitive ADMCOM put higher value to GRE than they claim . they discard publications, experience , grad school , if ur GRE is not in the 90th percentile. 

No worries. In my correspondence with many profs they exclaim that I have an excellent CV.

I did not have anything published when I submitted my app. I just got one accepted recently and when I sent my updated CV they said they can't accept it (GAtech & umich) and I will hear about decisions soon/next few weeks. Lol I had a hunch I'm gonna be rejected at this point.

I don't want to wait another year and waste time. There are so many ideas & I have so much I want to do in research. Grad school is only a tool, means to achieve it, albeit a good one.

I'm still exploring Clemson as an option. I have been looking into good investigative science background in engineering profs. Let's see how it goes.

Reject or acceptance, I'm glad they are sending it out soon.

sorry to heart that.

am starting to think that competitive ADMCOM put higher value to GRE than they claim . they discard publications, experience , grad school , if ur GRE is not in the 90th percentile.

sorry to heart that. 

I was invited to interview at UMich last year with GRE scores in the 77th percentile. Based on my own profile and the people I met at the recruitment weekend last year, I'd say their admissions process is very holistic. To me it seemed that they care most about carefully matching students to faculty members. 

Hi all, 

it's my first time posting but I have been following this thread ever since early Jan. Thank you all for the informative discussions :)

I applied to Georgia Tech too and so far haven't heard anything back. As I looked at this thread earlier today, I went up to check the status, and it was still "To department for Review". Wondering if I should shoot them an Email and ask about my decision. I know their recruitment weekend is coming up so I am not putting too much hope on this one. Or maybe I will get a rej letter tomorrow or Monday lol

Also, is there anyone still waiting to hear from Northwestern? According to the results, people have received acceptances in late Jan. Losing hope here too....

I was invited to interview at UMich last year with GRE scores in the 77th percentile. Based on my own profile and the people I met at the recruitment weekend last year, I'd say their admissions process is very holistic. To me it seemed that they care most about carefully matching students to faculty members. 

Hi Budgie, first thing , budgies are the cutest birds :P second i noticed u got accepted to Upitt last year, did you contact a specific PI for the Biomedical engineering PHD program ?

Hi,

I need your advice my friends. I have been admitted to the UIUC bio engineering program thus far. But, this school seems to be my ultimate choice since I do n't anticipate any better offer. I know that UIUC is perfectly reputed for its engineering program while its bioengineering is n't really something based on US news ranking.

Can anyone give me an insight about this program? 

I am an MSE major and I am supposed to work on bioimaging as my PhD thesis as UIUC.

Thanks for sharing.

Just finished an admitted students visit weekend at UIUC. its bioE program is SUPER new so their ranking is not high (yet), but they are working on it. they just named a new dean of engineering, who is supposedly responsible for strengthening their other engineering programs there (idk if that's true lol). as you know their other engineering programs are great in rankings: 1 in civil, 3 in electrical, 4 in computer, 7 mechanical, etc so that's awesome and useful to keep in mind. The main theme that i got over the visit was that the school is STACKED with money. every prof and grad student i spoke with were talking about how equipment is shared within the school, so there are no ridiculous fees to reserve a flow cytometry machine, for example, and no politics between professors. the professor i spoke with primarily (the inventor of infrared spectroscopic imaging) buys $50,000 equipment for his students as long as they ask and have a legit use for it. basically, they painted the picture that equipment, resources, funding, etc will NOT be a roadblock during your time there (which was super impressive to me). 

all in all? i think it's a great school, great resources. i'm hesitant to settle in a remote college town and i'm not sure if i gelled with all the current students, but that's personal. Hope I helped!

bener123, that's reassuring, thanks! :-) 

Regarding NU, I don't know anything for sure, so I suppose it's possible all the results are out. However, when I spoke with a professor on the phone, he did say I was in "the first round of acceptances," so perhaps they do have a second wave? 

Hi everyone! I'm wondering about Northwestern BME as well. Any admitted people know of the open house weekend dates if there are any? I'm hopeful that I can still get in (fingers crossed!) since I'm from Chicago and would like to go home for grad school, but my weekends this semester are filling up with commitments! Thanks for any insight!

(colorblind friendly results~)

Accepted: Boston U BME, Boston U Computational Neuro, Illinois BioE

Rejected: Georgia Tech BME

Interview: U Mich BME

Applying:  Illinois Institute of Tech BME, Northwestern BME

Just finished an admitted students visit weekend at UIUC. its bioE program is SUPER new so their ranking is not high (yet), but they are working on it. they just named a new dean of engineering, who is supposedly responsible for strengthening their other engineering programs there (idk if that's true lol). as you know their other engineering programs are great in rankings: 1 in civil, 3 in electrical, 4 in computer, 7 mechanical, etc so that's awesome and useful to keep in mind. The main theme that i got over the visit was that the school is STACKED with money. every prof and grad student i spoke with were talking about how equipment is shared within the school, so there are no ridiculous fees to reserve a flow cytometry machine, for example, and no politics between professors. the professor i spoke with primarily (the inventor of infrared spectroscopic imaging) buys $50,000 equipment for his students as long as they ask and have a legit use for it. basically, they painted the picture that equipment, resources, funding, etc will NOT be a roadblock during your time there (which was super impressive to me). 

all in all? i think it's a great school, great resources. i'm hesitant to settle in a remote college town and i'm not sure if i gelled with all the current students, but that's personal. Hope I helped!

Thanks for sharing. Your information was sort of relieving and particularly helpful!