PHD Bioengineering/Biomedical engineering applications Fall 2014 profiles

T.J

Hello,

I applied to UCLA and ASU and I was recommended for admission and invited to their open houses. ASU it seems had a great research culture. The interactions between the professors and the students seemed really positive. I asked most of the professors on how they handled mistakes and most told me that they worked it out with their students. Some of the labs I have seen in my current school aren't like this and included yelling and anger instead. This seemed very positive to me. I went ahead and asked if they would yell at their students or be angry, and they told me yelling and anger doesn't solve anything. This led to me believe ASU would be a great school to do research at.

Unfortunately I was unable to attend the UCLA open house and would like to know some more information about the department. Specifically I want to know the interaction between the professors and students as well as expected work load. Anyone that went to the UCLA open house that would be willing to share some stories? 

I went to the UCLA open house and they really emphasized on entrepenurship, patenting, and startups. They were like "so UCLA has all these corporate businesses" lots of funding. Professors generally hold several patents and have venture capital pay them to try to do all the neccessary experiments to get FDA approval and whatnot. All I can say is, their medical center is largest on the west coast (so they advertised) and that they have an interdiscplinary research across many engineering disciplines and medicine.

Also, their undergraduate bioengineering just got ABET accredited last year so its "fairly new". And the engineering dean got alot of funding to build engineering building (1 under construction atm, bioe shares building with material science/engineering)

Edited by darkacai

I went to the UCLA open house and they really emphasized on entrepenurship, patenting, and startups. They were like "so UCLA has all these corporate businesses" lots of funding. Professors generally hold several patents and have venture capital pay them to try to do all the neccessary experiments to get FDA approval and whatnot. All I can say is, their medical center is largest on the west coast (so they advertised) and that they have an interdiscplinary research across many engineering disciplines and medicine.

Also, their undergraduate bioengineering just got ABET accredited last year so its "fairly new". And the engineering dean got alot of funding to build engineering building (1 under construction atm, bioe shares building with material science/engineering)

Were you able to speak with the graduate students? Was there a lot of pressure to get patents or something? This seems like a really interesting opportunity but could be very stressful at the same time. 

I went to the UCLA open house and they really emphasized on entrepenurship, patenting, and startups. They were like "so UCLA has all these corporate businesses" lots of funding. Professors generally hold several patents and have venture capital pay them to try to do all the neccessary experiments to get FDA approval and whatnot.

That's interesting! I'm going next fall into a program that isn't like that at all, but would like to develop a corporate/tech 'slant' to my graduate years. Does anyone have any ideas on how best to do that?

Thanks!

RE:  Columbia interivews

Interviews are going on, mine is last week in March and I think I'm the last group.   I couldn't make any of the dates due to other interviews, so they are kind of sqeezing me in.

Edited by tuckbro

While it's a great school and program, it's not a good fit for me. You?

I found a good fit with professors and liked the collaboration between Wharton/Med/Eng facilities there the most. Philly wasn't my favorite city but it should be the best with my career. 

Anyone thinking of going to Penn now that the acceptances have been sent out?

I really like the program at Penn! I'm still considering it...

I agree with countofcristo that Philly was not my favorite (seems like a place that would grow on you though!). That's not a big deal though. What I particularly was not a fan of is the fact that you sort of get pigeon-holed into a lab from the beginning (unless you match with multiple people and get the opportunity to rotate). A secure spot was cool until I discovered I was interested in many different research areas and would benefit from a rotation program. That being said, if you know that you for sure want to be a part of the lab you are accepted into, it's a great idea and offers a ton of stability and assurance in terms of a spot in a lab as well as funding! 

Didn't hear back from Columbia yet...assuming a post interview rejection :<

Maybe they are waiting for other students who haven't done interviews yet, but i somewhat doubt this...i dunno why

Maybe they are waiting for other students who haven't done interviews yet, but i somewhat doubt this...i dunno why

It's possible they are waiting to see if someone rejects, and you're on some sort of waitlist. I think if you got an interview, unless it didn't go well, you have a decent shot. 

My experience with the whole graduate admissions process is that you shouldn't throw in the towel until you get a message saying you've been rejected! Best wishes! :) 

The last interviews are scheduled for next Thursday, so they may be waiting to do most of their acceptances until after they talk to everyone. Good luck !

Hey guys! I have been creeping on these posts for sometime now, but now I finally have something to contribute!

I was accepted to Columbia the Wednesday after the interview weekend - I was a great match with one of the profs I interviewed with, and I'm assuming they only sent out acceptances to those who were a "1 to 1" match or close enough...I had no idea there was another weekend, so I'm guessing they really want good matches before placing the not-so-good matches.