Historic Preservation -- Lots of Questions!

rlmcman

geo22, I did an archaeology/historic preservation workshop with someone who graduated from Pratt a few years ago and she wasn't too thrilled with the program...she attended mostly because the location was right.

So I was at Pratt for a year before I transferred to Columbia's preservation program. Three people transferred total that year and one transferred to the planning program at Pratt. DO NOT waste your time or money! The director was removed the year I left and they are still re-visioning the program. It's better (I've heard from friends that are there or work there), but nowhere near worth the full cost of tuition. Between my experience at Pratt and Columbia (which incredibly wasn't a world better as it should have been), and other friends' experiences at other schools like Clemson, SCAD, SAIC, etc., I do not believe there is a good preservation program out there. If you are interested in planning, apply to a planning program; if you are interested in architectural history, apply to art or architectural history programs; if you are interested in conservation, then go to Columbia or UPenn (UPenn seems better than Columbia, but I don't actually know anyone that's gone there). As I have said in previous posts, unless you're doing conservation, stay away from preservation programs. And if you're into conservation, Pratt is not the place for it. It's an advocacy-based program. If you have specific questions about Pratt I'd be happy to share.

Just going to gatecrash this thread - has anyone here applied for Hist Pres at Pratt??

Or know anyone who has already been through the program there? 

Seems like there are mixed opinions &  if anyone else has any other info/opinions it would be a huge help to me!

Thanks! I hope the open house is good and that things work out! Just ask as many questions as you can possibly think of (I know that's hard when you're taking it all in).

Thanks for all of your input, ladygirltomboy. It's answered a lot of questions that I had thought I wouldn't get answered! I wish you the best in your future education and career :)

As for me, I'm already leaning towards UPenn's conservation focus... The OH isn't too far away, so we'll see!

I think all of the programs end up being focused on their location, which isn't a bad thing as long as they look out a little every now and then. That's definitely something to look for when you go to open houses (just ask the students and they will probably be honest). As for the international opportunities, I suggest you enquire about every detail--when students last went abroad, how many opportunities are available each year, who funds them, is there an acceptance application to attend, etc. Columbia sold itself as an international program, but there really hasn't been anything in the two years I have been there. They make students post about summer or break trips they took which makes it seem like they hosted or sponsored them on trips abroad (or even presented opportunities) which is not the case. Many times profs will go on these trips, which makes them appear even more legitimately like something the school hosted. Just ask lots of questions. Part of my problem is that I went in starry-eyed and believed what was posted on their website, not realizing the last time they went to Greece was five years ago and there were no plans to do anything anytime soon. 

Good luck with your decision!

I really, really appreciate your insight! A lot of what you're saying seems to line up with what I've heard. I spoke with a professor at a school who told me Pratt's program is in limbo at the moment as well. I ruled out Clemson a while ago so it's comforting that your friend's experiences back up my reasoning.

Because I'm pretty sure I'd like to go the planning route, I'm stuck between Cornell and Penn's programs at the moment. Tricky decision. I am a little concerned that Philly's program could be "Philly-centric" (in the way that Columbia's sounds like a study of NYC), but I've read about Penn professors taking trips to Ecuador and Europe.

I'm sorry that you're having such a lousy experience at a program that promised you otherwise :( That's very disheartening and I would be just as upset. I wish you luck in your architectural history program at your next institution!

Hey thanks heaps for that. This is exactly the kind of info I am after.

I did my MArch (non-US school) a few years ago so I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time by doing another degree. I'm really interested in getting into advocacy but I don't necessarily want to be in a program that has that as its only strength.

I really appreciate your help!

So I was at Pratt for a year before I transferred to Columbia's preservation program. Three people transferred total that year and one transferred to the planning program at Pratt. DO NOT waste your time or money! The director was removed the year I left and they are still re-visioning the program. It's better (I've heard from friends that are there or work there), but nowhere near worth the full cost of tuition. Between my experience at Pratt and Columbia (which incredibly wasn't a world better as it should have been), and other friends' experiences at other schools like Clemson, SCAD, SAIC, etc., I do not believe there is a good preservation program out there. If you are interested in planning, apply to a planning program; if you are interested in architectural history, apply to art or architectural history programs; if you are interested in conservation, then go to Columbia or UPenn (UPenn seems better than Columbia, but I don't actually know anyone that's gone there). As I have said in previous posts, unless you're doing conservation, stay away from preservation programs. And if you're into conservation, Pratt is not the place for it. It's an advocacy-based program. If you have specific questions about Pratt I'd be happy to share.

Edited by geo22

If you already have an MArch, you could really easily get on at a preservation firm, especially in NYC if that's where you want to be. I don't really think it's even worth another two years of grad school for you, because you would pick up any of the preservation specific skills on the job. Have you thought about interning for a preservation arch firm?

Hey thanks heaps for that. This is exactly the kind of info I am after.

I did my MArch (non-US school) a few years ago so I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time by doing another degree. I'm really interested in getting into advocacy but I don't necessarily want to be in a program that has that as its only strength.

I really appreciate your help!

ladygirltomboy, it's too bad to hear that you feel that strongly about the failures of historic preservation programs!  I've been exploring many Master's programs, and there are a lot of histpres programs that I think sound great (Columbia is not one of them, interestingly).

Anyway, I was wondering if you (or anyone else) had information on any state schools.  All of the ones you've mentioned are private universities...

I have a friend that did the CHAPS program at Rutgers as a minor to her Art History MA and loved it. I've heard good things about it, and I think it's a really good choice if you want to pair with art/architectural history since it is a part of that department. I have actually taken a class at Rutgers as part of a consortium agreement between schools in the region and I loved it. The professor was great and the students were so engaged with the material and the department. It's an entirely different academic world from Columbia, and I think they have quite a few international opportunities from the posters I've seen around the art history building. If you're interested in that program I could put you in touch with my friend.

The only other state school program I know about is University of Oregon. I did my undergrad there, and although it wasn't in preservation, that is where I first got exposure to the field and decided to pursue it in grad school. I believe the program just moved from Eugene to Portland (or will soon, or maybe just some courses are there now), which is a huge improvement. There is not a lot of high-style historic architecture in Eugene (a lot of post-1900 buildings), which is what kept me from applying there. At least in Portland you have more of a lab in the city. I think that program might be more planning/advocacy/cultural landscape oriented, but UO has strong planning, architecture, and art history department so I think you could get a lot out of the cross over. I know they also offer a summer field school in (I think) Croatia. I don't know how the program holds up academically, but I do know that it's really hard to find jobs in Oregon, so if you wanted to stay there after it might be tough. UO does have what's called the GTFF, which is the graduate student fellows foundation or something like that. A lot of friends in different grad programs chose UO over better ranked school because they offer amazing funding and benefits for graduate teaching fellows. I don't know if historic preservation does this since there is no undergraduate major option, but it might be worth looking into. UO is centred around a very activist minded community, which translates to a lot of student groups and interesting things. I will say this: it is a HUGE football school and that is one of the reasons I had to get out. There's a lot of tension between academics and athletics, and it becomes hard to ignore no matter how far away you try to get from it. I think it's a place you can really find your niche though, and people move to Oregon for a reason so I think you will find most of the professors and staff are generally very kind and caring. There is a sense of community (that isn't just based on weekly happy hours) within departments there that I really do miss. Both Eugene and Portland are nice little towns.

Do you have any questions about specific programs? I have friends at a few other schools on the west coast and could see if they can ask around if there's a particular place you're interested in.

University of Victoria and Carleton University (both in Canada) also have very good programs. The former is more planning/cultural landscapes based, while the latter has a conservation focus. There is also Willowbank that is only a diploma program, but very well respected if you are going the conservation route. Their entire curriculum is based on hands on conservation and conservation treatments. It is a highly respectable school in Canada. I've never heard a bad thing about any of the Canadian schools, though the academic standards are much higher there than at a lot of US schools (apparently even more than the Ivy Leagues that are supposed to be amazing). 

Just going to gatecrash this thread - has anyone here applied for Hist Pres at Pratt??

Or know anyone who has already been through the program there? 

Seems like there are mixed opinions &  if anyone else has any other info/opinions it would be a huge help to me!

I can vouch for ladygirltomboy's input on Pratt's program. One of the program directors I've spoken to was VERY hesitant to recommend Pratt, as the program is in limbo at the moment. He said something similar about Clemson (although I had already applied when he mentioned this... there's $75.00 I'll never get back.)

If I remember correctly, the University of Minnesota and the University of Texas (Austin) have HP programs (or focuses within the program) that required one to have an MArch before applying. Worth considering, perhaps. I've heard great things about both. UPenn offers an MS in HP with a focus in preservation design.

On a side note, a huge deciding factor for me was whether or not a program had American architectural history classes listed as a requirement. You'd be surprised by how many don't even provide that background. A great piece of advice I received was to look at the professors in the program, see where and what they studied (some programs are more archaeology focused, others are policy focused, etc.), and weigh your options that way.

I'm not enrolled in any program yet though (and am still completely incapable of making a decision, ah!) so a current student may have different advice.

Best of luck in your search!

ladygirltomboy, thanks SO MUCH for your input on state schools.  UOregon and Rutgers are actually the two I am looking at most seriously.  I'm a bit afraid that the Rutgers program is more museum studies under the title of "preservation studies," but maybe that's not a bad thing.  I'm interested in Rutgers because it would be in-state and I'm not sure why exactly I'm interested in Oregon but...I am.  It looks like there might be a lot of opportunities there.  I actually applied for the Croatia Field School this summer as they accept people who are not currently enrolled in degree programs.

I know nothing about those Canadian schools, but I'll definitely look into them.  I have heard of Willowbank and the program sounds really interesting.  However, because it's a "diploma" program and not a Master's (or even Bachelor's), I have no idea how it counts academically.  I'm also not sure if I want to focus on conservation.

It's only March (many months before application season rolls around) but every now and then I get sucked into this black hole of researching grad schools!

Edited by halliejo

ladygirltomboy, thanks SO MUCH for your input on state schools.  UOregon and Rutgers are actually the two I am looking at most seriously.  I'm a bit afraid that the Rutgers program is more museum studies under the title of "preservation studies," but maybe that's not a bad thing.  I'm interested in Rutgers because it would be in-state and I'm not sure why exactly I'm interested in Oregon but...I am.  It looks like there might be a lot of opportunities there.  I actually applied for the Croatia Field School this summer as they accept people who are not currently enrolled in degree programs.

I know nothing about those Canadian schools, but I'll definitely look into them.  I have heard of Willowbank and the program sounds really interesting.  However, because it's a "diploma" program and not a Master's (or even Bachelor's), I have no idea how it counts academically.  I'm also not sure if I want to focus on conservation.

It's only March (many months before application season rolls around) but every now and then I get sucked into this black hole of researching grad schools!

Another Jersey resident interested in HP?! Hiya!

Good for you for starting your search this early. It's kind of fun when you don't have to worry about application due dates being right around the corner!

Ohhh. I was hoping someone would tell me Pratt's the best and 100% worth the money and all your dreams will come true. The location is the biggest draw for me so it's sad to hear no one would recommend it.

I did my MArch in New Zealand and the program was awful (and also not aligned with the content of the US system) so I don't like my chances for getting into good schools like UPenn.

Thankyou so much for info and good luck deciding where to go  :)

I can vouch for ladygirltomboy's input on Pratt's program. One of the program directors I've spoken to was VERY hesitant to recommend Pratt, as the program is in limbo at the moment. He said something similar about Clemson (although I had already applied when he mentioned this... there's $75.00 I'll never get back.)

If I remember correctly, the University of Minnesota and the University of Texas (Austin) have HP programs (or focuses within the program) that required one to have an MArch before applying. Worth considering, perhaps. I've heard great things about both. UPenn offers an MS in HP with a focus in preservation design.

On a side note, a huge deciding factor for me was whether or not a program had American architectural history classes listed as a requirement. You'd be surprised by how many don't even provide that background. A great piece of advice I received was to look at the professors in the program, see where and what they studied (some programs are more archaeology focused, others are policy focused, etc.), and weigh your options that way.

I'm not enrolled in any program yet though (and am still completely incapable of making a decision, ah!) so a current student may have different advice.

Best of luck in your search!

Thanks for the reply halliejo. To be honest the location is one of the main reasons I applied there too. Rats  :unsure:

geo22, I did an archaeology/historic preservation workshop with someone who graduated from Pratt a few years ago and she wasn't too thrilled with the program...she attended mostly because the location was right.

You should apply anyway. Historic Preservation programs rarely reject applicants. I'm pretty sure no one has ever been rejected from Columbia, and every one of my classmates that applied to UPenn was accepted there as well. You should go for it! Have you looked at urban design programs? You might find some preservation work housed in those departments as well. I think McGill has some sort of architectural history program that is actually part of the professional architecture school. You might have a look at that as well. Whatever you do, DO NOT give Pratt your time or money!

Ohhh. I was hoping someone would tell me Pratt's the best and 100% worth the money and all your dreams will come true. The location is the biggest draw for me so it's sad to hear no one would recommend it.

I did my MArch in New Zealand and the program was awful (and also not aligned with the content of the US system) so I don't like my chances for getting into good schools like UPenn.

Thankyou so much for info and good luck deciding where to go  :)

You should see if there's an open house at Rutgers. Talk to students and faculty now, and sit in on some classes. That's the one thing I didn't do that I wish I had. The one thing my friend said about that program is that it's less practical and hands on than she would have liked. It's very internationally focused and it seems very theoretical. Definitely the place to go if you want to work on repatriation or other legal issues, or world heritage sites (from a policy perspective). I think one of the things they are strong in is the interdisciplinary nature of the MA.

Funny that you're interested in Oregon. It's lovely, but it's kind of small town all around. But...you'd never be more than an hour or two from the beach or the mountains, and there are some damn good restaurants for a population of only a few hundred thousand.  It could be a refreshing experience!

Good luck with your field school application. If you go, please come back and tell us about it. I have always been interested in it, and especially now that you've said they take non-degree applicants...

Another Jersey resident interested in HP?! Hiya!

Good for you for starting your search this early. It's kind of fun when you don't have to worry about application due dates being right around the corner!

Hello eafreder! :)  

Looking at all the websites is fun but also stresses me out a bit when I don't need to be...but hopefully it will pay off in the long run!

Hello, all!

(I am not an English native speaker so, please, forgive me for the huge amount of mistakes I'm surely going to make!)

I've just received an email confirming that I've been admited to Columbia's MS in Historic Preservation! I am really excited as it was my very first option (I have also applied to Penn, Pratt and SCAD but haven't had any news from them til now...)

I have been reading this forum during the last weeks and, now that I am officially admited to Columbia, I must confess that I am really worried about what ladygirltomboy said of Columbia's MSHP! Is it so bad?! :(

I am MArch and I have always wanted to applied to Columbia MS in Historic Preservation.

ladygirltomboy: How would you describe your classmates? I mean... are they achitects, historians, people who just want to have a degree from Columbia...? Is there a passion-for-preservation atmosphere? Please say yes! :)

And the professors? Are they motivated? Good? Bad? :(

I do not live in the US so I won't be able to attend the open house, so any help will be very welcome!

PS- Any future classmates around here? ;)

I've posted in some other threads here... but I'll add my few cents.

I'm at UPenn and adore the program here. I have a planning focus, but many of my friends are in the consci track.

I'm super super terrible about coming back to check for messages, so if you want to know more, email me jenncarr@design.upenn.edu

On the international opportunities... In the past two semesters, i've had classmates travel to China, Ecuador, and Columbia. I'm likely going to China in May with the program. 

I'm excited to meet potential students at open house next week, but if you're not able to make it (I couldn't when I was applying) please feel free to email me and I'll do my best at answering all of your questions!

Hi, all! Just wanted to send an update about my results and maybe help those of you looking to apply next year to get an idea of the kinds of problems I ran into after my applications were in.

The first school to get back to me was UPenn, which I was THRILLED about! I got an email from the program director first, then later an official notification through their website. They offered me a merit scholarship (which later got increased after they received my FAFSA and found out how truly destitute I am lol) and a research assistantship. Unfortunately, it took almost a MONTH to get a hold of the program director, who was the only one who had the details about the research assistantship. Even to this day he has not responded to my calls or emails and blew off an appointment that HE made with me to discuss things. Another accepted student managed to track him down and he quite nonchalantly told her that the research assistantship was essentially a graduate work study program for up to 10 hours per week. This is not what either of us expected from a research assistantship, which we'd experienced from other schools as being tuition remission programs. UPenn's extremely high prices and the difficulty of getting in touch with a program director who claimed to want us drove us away. I don't say this to scare people off the program -- I STILL think that it's the best program for me and it's hard to choose another program when I got accepted to my "perfect one" but I can't justify the cost when I already have a significant amount of debt from undergrad. I know that people are more willing to take the debt than I am and if you're one of those then I urge you to give this program serious thought!

The second school I heard back from was Tulane... but to this day I haven't received an official acceptance notification. They just started sending me oodles and oodles of information for accepted students, then eventually my log on to their system. I didn't get any aid offer at all from them thus far. That combined with the weird communication issues has put them out of the running, as well.

Columbia notified me through an email that instructed me to check their online system. They offered me a merit scholarship but no need-based aid because I was an idiot and didn't send in the application with my program application. So if you want need-based aid from them, don't be an idiot like me! They're too expensive without that extra aid so it's a no-go for me.

UVM's acceptance email (from the program director) was the most detailed and personal email that I got. They laid out three financial scenarios for me... I'd been nominated for a graduate school fellowship that had two different award levels, and they laid out what each level would mean for my expenses. Then, they said that they would offer me departmental aid in the form of a TA appointment for 2 of 3 semesters if the fellowship didn't come through. I'm still waiting to hear from the graduate school about the fellowship but it's nice to finally have a school give me all my financial possibilities up front and spelled out!

UGA sent me three snail mail letters and hasn't done anything over email or an internet system. The first letter was the program recommending me to the graduate school... the second was the graduate school acceptance. The third was my financial letter. They spelled out a fellowship package for me nice and clearly.

So that's the process of each school I applied to... some of you have mentioned these schools and some none of you may be interested in. But there it is! I still have a decision to make... any last thoughts from anyone about UGA or UVM?

Hi, all! Just wanted to send an update about my results and maybe help those of you looking to apply next year to get an idea of the kinds of problems I ran into after my applications were in.

The first school to get back to me was UPenn, which I was THRILLED about! I got an email from the program director first, then later an official notification through their website. They offered me a merit scholarship (which later got increased after they received my FAFSA and found out how truly destitute I am lol) and a research assistantship. Unfortunately, it took almost a MONTH to get a hold of the program director, who was the only one who had the details about the research assistantship. Even to this day he has not responded to my calls or emails and blew off an appointment that HE made with me to discuss things. Another accepted student managed to track him down and he quite nonchalantly told her that the research assistantship was essentially a graduate work study program for up to 10 hours per week. This is not what either of us expected from a research assistantship, which we'd experienced from other schools as being tuition remission programs. UPenn's extremely high prices and the difficulty of getting in touch with a program director who claimed to want us drove us away. I don't say this to scare people off the program -- I STILL think that it's the best program for me and it's hard to choose another program when I got accepted to my "perfect one" but I can't justify the cost when I already have a significant amount of debt from undergrad. I know that people are more willing to take the debt than I am and if you're one of those then I urge you to give this program serious thought!

The second school I heard back from was Tulane... but to this day I haven't received an official acceptance notification. They just started sending me oodles and oodles of information for accepted students, then eventually my log on to their system. I didn't get any aid offer at all from them thus far. That combined with the weird communication issues has put them out of the running, as well.

Columbia notified me through an email that instructed me to check their online system. They offered me a merit scholarship but no need-based aid because I was an idiot and didn't send in the application with my program application. So if you want need-based aid from them, don't be an idiot like me! They're too expensive without that extra aid so it's a no-go for me.

UVM's acceptance email (from the program director) was the most detailed and personal email that I got. They laid out three financial scenarios for me... I'd been nominated for a graduate school fellowship that had two different award levels, and they laid out what each level would mean for my expenses. Then, they said that they would offer me departmental aid in the form of a TA appointment for 2 of 3 semesters if the fellowship didn't come through. I'm still waiting to hear from the graduate school about the fellowship but it's nice to finally have a school give me all my financial possibilities up front and spelled out!

UGA sent me three snail mail letters and hasn't done anything over email or an internet system. The first letter was the program recommending me to the graduate school... the second was the graduate school acceptance. The third was my financial letter. They spelled out a fellowship package for me nice and clearly.

So that's the process of each school I applied to... some of you have mentioned these schools and some none of you may be interested in. But there it is! I still have a decision to make... any last thoughts from anyone about UGA or UVM?

Wow! What a hard decission to make!

It is a pity to hear that you have decided not to go to Columbia! Are there no possibilities to correct the mistake you made not sending them the application for need-based aid? I do believe that Columbia's program is really interesting! (and the senior program as well!) In fact I have almost decided to go there!

When do you have to make your final decission?!

Thanks for the reply halliejo. To be honest the location is one of the main reasons I applied there too. Rats  :unsure:

Hi geo22!

Have you got news from Pratt?? I have also applied there but have not received news til now...

As I have previously said I have been admitted to Columbia ((L) Manhattan) so I think that I'll go there... but I would like to make my decission once I have received an answer from Pratt! xD

Have you applied to other programs?!

Hi! Yep I got an acceptance email and scholarship info from them last week. (!!!)

Annnd I only applied to Pratt in the end because I decided that's the area I want to work/live in so may as well study there too. So that's where I'm going!

Please let me know when you hear back from them too! :)

Hi geo22!

Have you got news from Pratt?? I have also applied there but have not received news til now...

As I have previously said I have been admitted to Columbia ((L) Manhattan) so I think that I'll go there... but I would like to make my decission once I have received an answer from Pratt! xD

Have you applied to other programs?!

Hi and so sorry for the slow response! Thesis writing... I just responded to your PM so be on the look out!

Hello, all!

(I am not an English native speaker so, please, forgive me for the huge amount of mistakes I'm surely going to make!)

I've just received an email confirming that I've been admited to Columbia's MS in Historic Preservation! I am really excited as it was my very first option (I have also applied to Penn, Pratt and SCAD but haven't had any news from them til now...)

I have been reading this forum during the last weeks and, now that I am officially admited to Columbia, I must confess that I am really worried about what ladygirltomboy said of Columbia's MSHP! Is it so bad?! :(

I am MArch and I have always wanted to applied to Columbia MS in Historic Preservation.

ladygirltomboy: How would you describe your classmates? I mean... are they achitects, historians, people who just want to have a degree from Columbia...? Is there a passion-for-preservation atmosphere? Please say yes! :)

And the professors? Are they motivated? Good? Bad? :(

I do not live in the US so I won't be able to attend the open house, so any help will be very welcome!

PS- Any future classmates around here? ;)

Hi! Yep I got an acceptance email and scholarship info from them last week. (!!!)

Annnd I only applied to Pratt in the end because I decided that's the area I want to work/live in so may as well study there too. So that's where I'm going!

Please let me know when you hear back from them too! :)

Nice! Congratulations!!!

I have also received an acceptance mail and grant offer from Pratt last Friday! :)

Now I am trying to decide between Pratt and Columbia. I have always wanted to study at Columbia but I have received such a kind and personal mail from Pratt... They made me feel like a special student! :D

I do not know what I am going to do! But I have promised myself that I am going to make a decission this weekend... so I'll let you know in a couple of days... maybe we will be classmates this September! :)