Historic Preservation -- Lots of Questions!

rlmcman

hey everyone! I don't mean to hijack this thread, but there has been a lot of good advice here and I was hoping someone might be able to advise me.

After graduating from undergrad 4 years ago, I sort of "fell" into the field of HP, and have been working in various conservation jobs since then. I'm at the point where I'd like to do some kind of further school/credentialing because I think it would help me move up career-wise- and because I really love architectural conservation and I want to learn more about it. I'm considering HP programs, and have also entertained the idea of doing an M.Arch. Going back to school sounds like it would be fun, but it would also be expensive and I'd have to quit my job and move. Also, I work with a lot of people who are in grad programs or have graduated from grad programs, and it doesn't seem to really improve employability unless you had a lot of experience already. Since I'm already working in the field, I thought it might be worthwhile to do a shorter certificate program or an online program, but those seem less "real". So do I:

1. quit my job and go to a full-time grad program, in HP or architecture, or

2. keep my job and do an online or certificate program to complement my experience with preservation history/theory/law training?

Thanks! and good luck with all of your programs!

ps- does anyone know anything about the NBSS preservation carpentry program?

Hello everybody!

Well, I have finally decided to enroll the Columbia's MS in Historic Preservation! :) :) :)

Even knowing that it presents some flaws, I still believe that is by far the most prestigious (and the most ancient) program in Historic Preservation, not only in the US but also worldwide.

So, see you in NYC this September, guys! ;)

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As a former student in Columbia's HP Program, I can say that the acceptance rate is quite high. Many of my classmates did not score well on the GRE (pretty average, like 140s and 150s) and had pretty mediocre undergraduate grades (around 3.00). Judging by the quality of student work, student commitment to scholarship, discussions, etc., I would say the admission standards are quite low. Don't let the name scare you. The rigor of the program is not at all commensurate with other programs there/at an Ivy. It sort of seemed like the program took anyone to be honest.

Is anyone familiar with programs that have faculty which are particularly interested/work in the preservation and management of religious spaces?

I've done consulting work in preservation and archive management for the town of Mount Vernon, IA; same style of work in Bethania, NC, and just wrapped up a HP project in Nashville, TN for the Nashville City Cemetery Association.

I've struggled finding faculty with religious interests in the field of HP, though I do realize that some programs lump this into cultural management/preservation - which is fine, I'm just looking for faculty with particular interests in religion, sacred space, American religious history (you get the idea).

Is anyone familiar with programs that have faculty which are particularly interested/work in the preservation and management of religious spaces?

I've done consulting work in preservation and archive management for the town of Mount Vernon, IA; same style of work in Bethania, NC, and just wrapped up a HP project in Nashville, TN for the Nashville City Cemetery Association.

I've struggled finding faculty with religious interests in the field of HP, though I do realize that some programs lump this into cultural management/preservation - which is fine, I'm just looking for faculty with particular interests in religion, sacred space, American religious history (you get the idea).

Look up Louis Nelson at U Va.

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone still reading this, I'd like to add that I am also a recent graduate of the Columbia program (same year as ladygirltomboy) and while every program has its ups and downs, I've had an overall positive experience. I am now employed in a well respected company in the industry, use the things I learned every day, and I've had some incredible experiences that I never would have had without the program. It is largely what you make it. And I noticed some of the things ladygirltomboy noticed, such as many conservation faculty being graduates of the program, but I don't necessarily agree with the connotations: most of the practitioners in the region are alumni (I meet alumni at conferences in other countries as well as on area job sites often), and as it is the oldest program in the country and many alumni stay in the area, it makes sense that alumni would be overrepresented in the faculty. Even some of the UPenn faculty went to Columbia! That is just one area where I don't necessarily agree with ladygirltomboy. I won't get too far into all of that, but if someone would like to know more about the benefits and disadvantages from my point of view, feel free to message me. I also chose Columbia over UPenn, and I'd be happy to go over my decision process there too.

As for general HP program advice:

1. Apply even if you don't think you'll get in.

2. Programs in your desired region of work are useful, as again alumni networks tend to be localized and your professors becoming your colleagues and bosses is common.

3. If you are interested in conservation, or some other specialty, make sure the program fits your needs there. And sometimes what you think will fit your needs does not, so don't be surprised if your perceptions or priorities change once you get accepted. 

4. No program will ever be perfect. An awesome sounding course may have a crappy teacher, and a course you thought would be boring could be the best one you'll take. Every program has these quirks, and everyone likes something different in teaching styles, etc. What is important is that the program teaches you the basics and then helps you get out there.

And to answer some questions:

People in my program came from wide varieties of bachelor degrees, including hard sciences to social sciences and humanities. What matters is that you can show on your application how your total life experiences, including work and prior education, can fit with the program into a mutually beneficial relationship. Aka, how can you add to the field and how can the degree benefit you?

MSc/MA/etc does not really matter in and of itself. For conservation, you must understand that it is impossible for the professors to teach you everything in a few hours a week in two years. Therefore, what is important is that the program has a concentration in conservation, teaches you some of the basics, and has strong resources to draw upon to get you out there. Columbia's conservation concentration had students doing projects at the Met, as well as sent 2/3 of our conservation students as speakers to an international conference (and those speakers are also already employed, in full-time, permanent positions). Could the program be improved? Yes. And while it is a professional program, you don't expect that someone fresh out of med school will be able to perform surgery on you already. Same here... you get the tools to start and some hands on experience, but you still have to learn more in the real world.

Please consider reaching out to Michael Tomlan at Cornell. He is teaching a class on this subject next semester.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have any information on the paid research assistantship at Penn? (i.e. type of work, how much you get paid).

I also was offered the research assistantship. Will be going to the open house on the 30th, so hopefully will find out more then. I'm sure if you have questions, though, you can email Randy Mason or any of the other professors in the department.

Hi, guys. OP from last year, here. My experience with Penn can be found further up the thread but I'll recap.

Penn's assistantship amounted to essentially graduate work study. Up to ten hours a week at I believe $10/hr. No stipend, no tuition remission, no research or teaching experience to put on a CV. Also, I only found this out from a quite condescending email sent from the program director to another applicant (we had both been trying to nail down specifics for weeks after our notification).

I truly hope this has changed because Penn was my #1 choice until this funding fiasco. I decided that a true graduate assistantship (and being paid to go to grad school rather than wracking up $100k more in loans) was a better option for me.