MSW Decisions, Decisions, Decisions.

jap82951

I am currently a student at California State University, Northridge (CSUN). I am a Social Welfare major and Queer Studies minor. I have volunteered at a domestic violence shelter (completed my 40 hour training on domestic violence) and I am currently interning at a mentally ill/drug addict homeless shelter. I am clueless about grad school. USC has always been my dream school but is the price really worth it? UCLA's MSW program is pretty great too, from what I've heard. For some reason I do not wish to attend a Cal State. I want to go to a bigger university for my masters. 

I have to tell you that the place you chose for an MSW matters. I am going to a expensive school for my masters...UPenn. I think it is the best place for an MSW because of the professors, numerous field options and connections that Penn has. Go for your dream school. I have confidence that the excitement and opportunities that you dream school gives you will be worth it!! 

Social work is not my field, but the practical side of social work doesn't seem to be too prestige-focused.  But UCLA is a top 25 school of social work - not that far below USC - and is likely to be much more affordable for you.  UC-Berkeley is actually ranked higher than USC.

Also, I know you said you don't want to go to a CSU for your degree.  But there are several CSUs in the top 100 MSW programs - San Diego State, CSU-Long Beach, CSULA, San Francisco State, San Jose State, and CSU-Sacramento.

Social workers don't earn that much money, so you don't want to be in hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt you can't repay.  I seriously disagree that "excitement" is worth crushing debt.  Opportunities are only worth it if they lead to better or higher-paying employment.

• 2 weeks later...

Great comments have already been posted, but I'll add that you should do some research of your own. Contact USC and ask them to connect you with 2-3 current students as well as 2-3 alums. Contact those current students and alums and ask them about the quality, prestige, and worth of USC's social work program. Don't be afraid to be direct. I did this and received such incredible feedback. As a result I was able to make some hard decisions (in hindsight, should have been easy because there's no way I would even consider debt now) and went into my program with open eyes. It did take time to have that many separate conversations, but I also saved myself USC tuition. A great bargain in my eyes!

• 3 weeks later...

I currently attend Cal State Long Beach.  Many of my professors have taught at USC in the MSW program, and they've all said it's pretty much the exact same curriculum, same books...all you're paying for is the brand.  The one thing that USC does have is the networking - they're big on that - but I've never met anyone who told me that going into so much debt (seriously, 40K a YEAR) for a social work degree is worth it.  If you can afford it and you feel it's worth it, that's your choice!  I understand wanting to attend your dream school.  It just was not a practical decision for me, nor was it worth the enormous debt I would have been adding to what I already have.  UCLA and UC Berkeley have good programs, although I think the UC's call it social welfare.  Not sure if it's more policy oriented or if it's just a preference of calling it that rather than social work.  UC's are obviously more expensive, but nothing compared to USC!  Good luck!

Here's my 2 cents based on experience. If you are interested in direct service or clinical practice, where you get your MSW won't make a huge difference. Take the debt consideration VERY SERIOUSLY. You've heard this a thousand times, but SW doesn't way well, especially in direct service work. No one really cares where you get your degree from. This isn't business school. Also, coursework is regulated by CSWE so you'll find the similar clinical classes/topics in every program. You really won't miss a thing no matter where you go.

Now, if you're interested in macro, there's more to consider. The macro concentration trend seems to be relatively new and many programs do not focus on it. I chose a school with a strong macro department, and us macro students still only make up less than 15% of the entire MSW program. Here, I am getting access to a variety of macro-related classes that seem to be otherwise non existent at other programs (community organizing, program planning, evaluations, organizational behavior, strategic management, community analysis and interventions are just a few examples) We also have collaborations with the business school to cross register in non profit management classes. We have hybrid type classes that pull from other departments and are very relevant for the future macro social worker. 

When you graduate, no one looking at your resume will know what macro concentration MSW is. No one will care where your degree is from -- but choosing a macro program will allow you access to more appropriate classes. There is a BIG difference between macro and clinical classes. I can't tell you how many people I know in the field, wish they had experience in program evaluation, fundraising, financial management, etc. And having that skill (from class or work experience) is what will land you the macro job. So if you're a macro student, paying bigger bucks to attend a program with a nice sized macro focus, be prepared to strongly advocate for yourself to get the payoff. That being said, I still believe it's possible to get some macro perspective no matter what school you go to -- you can always petition to cross register in the business school or for another department course with a relevant focus. You'll just have to work a lot harder at it.

No macro degree alone with get you the job, but if you don't have a lot of work experience, it will pave the way a heck of a lot faster than a bunch of clinical classes. 

Hope this helps!

Edited by Chrislee

I agree wholeheartedly with Chrislee. If you are a prospective MACRO student, consider very carefully where you apply. The flagship state universities and private schools with large endowments can afford to have viable macro specializations (Michigan, WUSTL, UC-Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia, Chicago, etc.). Check out the research centers and concentrations if they offer the type of courses and field placements that align with your academic interests. As you can surmise, I am a Michigan alum which has one of the best macro social work programs in the country. Still, direct practice is the largest cohort of MSW students at Michigan. But the ability to tailor your coursework courses with macro courses and cognates in other schools (public policy, education, law, public health, etc.) makes the experience so much more meaningful.