day of the test

powerlifterty16

as far as I know, all i need to bring with me the day of the test is my driver's license, right? Is there anything else I need to bring, and what about drinks/snacks or a pencil? Ill admit, I am looking for an easy answer instead of reading the site, because i've been studying vocabulary all day :mellow:

Last year when I took it, I just had my test admissions ticket, my driver's license, and that's pretty much it.  Don't bother bringing gum because they take that away from you.  Even if you "dress in layers" (to ensure comfort no matter what the temperature of the room), they won't let you take a jacket off while testing. It's pretty stupid.  I know cheating happens sometimes (I mean, I guess), but for the vast majority of people who don't cheat or have any "tricks up their sleeve," the testing center paranoia is so annoying.  

I think some of this stuff probably varies by testing center. Like my center let me where my hoodie and my hat, but I couldn't put the hood up. And my location had lockers available to store things like phones, drinks, etc. The only thing I had to show the guy was my ID, and he gave me the paperwork I needed to fill out before taking my picture and setting me up to take the test. He did mention the no watches thing though, which was fine for me because I don't wear watches anyway. There was a clock in the room where I took my test though.

The scrap paper is pretty extensive (at least at the ProMetric test centers in NYC, but I think it's issued by the ETS). It's a booklet-like thing consisting of maybe 8-10 pages. I use a lot of scrap paper, and I had no need for more.

On the second point: if you need more paper, just raise your hand. The test room is monitored by video camera and also by proctors. If you really can't get their attention, just get up and go talk to them. That's allowed.

why did they take your picture? i dont want them taking mine lol.

Haha yeah I wasn't amused by it, but I understood they needed proof of identity or whatever.

The scrap paper is pretty extensive (at least at the ProMetric test centers in NYC, but I think it's issued by the ETS). It's a booklet-like thing consisting of maybe 8-10 pages. I use a lot of scrap paper, and I had no need for more.

Yeah we had the same thing at my testing center in Indiana.

I heard they won't let you wear a watch too. :mellow:

You heard right. Apart from ID document(s) and snacks, you cannot take anything into the test centre.

I should mention: mine was a Prometric Centre. Don't know if the restrictions are the same for others.

On the second point: if you need more paper, just raise your hand. The test room is monitored by video camera and also by proctors. If you really can't get their attention, just get up and go talk to them. That's allowed.

if you finish a section earlier can you go on to finish the rest of the test, or do you need to wait for everyone else to finish?

Edited by powerlifterty16

You heard right. Apart from ID document(s) and snacks, you cannot take anything into the test centre.

I should mention: mine was a Prometric Centre. Don't know if the restrictions are the same for others.

can i wear pajamas? lol

what kind of snacks/drinks are allowed? people cheat with soda labels

btw im getting a ride to the test, is my dad allowed to ome in during check in?

if you finish a section earlier can you go on to finish the rest of the test, or do you need to wait for everyone else to finish?

There's a one minute break built in between the sections, but you can choose to skip it if you want to.

btw im getting a ride to the test, is my dad allowed to ome in during check in?

Nah. My center wouldn't even let anyone in the building on their own. I had to wait at the door for the supervisor to retrieve me, and only test takers were allowed in. My fiance hung out at the library and roamed around the campus while I took the test.

There's a one minute break built in between the sections, but you can choose to skip it if you want to.

Nah. My center wouldn't even let anyone in the building on their own. I had to wait at the door for the supervisor to retrieve me, and only test takers were allowed in. My fiance hung out at the library and roamed around the campus while I took the test.

that sucks, i was hoping he could hang out during the checkout process lol.

yeah i know about the break, but let's say hypothetically, someone wrote their analytical essays in 15 minutes, do they need to wait until everyone else's time is over before going to the next section of the gre(btw is verbal before math)?

Edited by powerlifterty16

You don't have to wait on anyone else. They didn't even have us all starting at the same time in my center. Basically, whoever got done with their paperwork and had their picture taken was able to start, and other people filled in on the other computers as they got all their stuff done.

oh interesting! so any thoughts on wheather  ican wear pajama pants and what snacks i can bring?

You really are a big fan of your pajamas! LOL

Snacks: What do you have in mind? Whatever it is, I'm sure they'll allow it. I took a chocolate bar and a packet of biscuits.

i ordered some double choc chunk quest bars...dont think theyll be here in time though.

im prob just going to wear baggy sweats and a tshirt.

Go to Target and buy some Zone Bars.  A Prometric testing center will let you leave your bars and water outside, and you can eat one before test and during break.  Bring a hoodie and hang it up outside.  During my first section, the room turned frigid, so I needed the hoodie for the second half.  Get there a half-hour early.

Go to Target and buy some Zone Bars.  A Prometric testing center will let you leave your bars and water outside, and you can eat one before test and during break.  Bring a hoodie and hang it up outside.  During my first section, the room turned frigid, so I needed the hoodie for the second half.  Get there a half-hour early.

you cant have the food with you during the test? you have to give it to someone else?

you cant have the food with you during the test? you have to give it to someone else?

They should have a table outside the testing room where you can leave your food and bottled water.  Our testing center had a water dispenser.   Don't bring a pizza or a salad from Applebees.  Everyone brought nutrition bars when I was there.   They must think you are going to inscribe the surface area of a rectangle on your food wrapper.  

Edited by awells27