SLP California Applicants for Fall 2014

• 4 weeks later...

Hello -

I have applied to CSULA, CSULB, CSUN, and NOVA (hybrid) out of FL.

GPA: 3.79

GRE (warning low quant score lol)  v154, q144 (eek) a3

Status:  Only have heard from CSULA (where I currently attend finishing my certificate courses).  Feb 21st got an email for a personal interview March 14th. 

Anyone heard from any other schools? 

Anyone have any insight about interview prep? 

Looking forward to hearing from others!

I emailed the director like it said in the email.  He said everyone gets sent to the regular application pool who did not get accepted.  IT does mean we still have a chance but I was also told that there are the same amount of apps that come in for the reg app pool so its still a smaller chance.

I hope we are still considered and not completely forgotten despite being pushed into the regular application pool. At least it wasn't a flat-out rejection from the early pool, so that's a good thing, right? 

I applied to CSULB and got rejected by checking the portal.

I think all the schools in California wont start letting us know about decisions till about April.

: )

:( Did they give you an explanation? As far as I know, no one from CSULB has been informed of an acceptance/rejection before the interview process.

:( Did they give you an explanation? As far as I know, no one from CSULB has been informed of an acceptance/rejection before the interview process.

im assuming i may have not met some type of cutoff. I've been meaning to ask but i haven't been able to get a hold of anyone.

Does anybody know if CSULB will send out any more invitations to interview? I know that they accept a lot of their own, like many CSUs ( I don't know anybody who got into CSULB last year), but I am really interested in their program because of their bilingual emphasis. I guess I am just so depressed by the whole process. I'm happy for people who get accepted, but I can't help but feel this sinking, scary feeling that it's not gonna happen for me. I don't think my stats are bad (3.09 Undergrad GPA (ick, I was immature), 3.9 CSD GPA, 165V, 154Q, 4.0AW, trilingual, study-abroad experience, and volunteer experience in a top-rated rehab hospital and in a speech-language clinic). I know that I will I make an awesome SLP, but I just don't know if I've proved it to the programs to which I've applied. I am still bitter about not getting in last year, and I just can't face another round of rejections. It will eat me alive.

Does anybody know if CSULB will send out any more invitations to interview? I know that they accept a lot of their own, like many CSUs ( I don't know anybody who got into CSULB last year), but I am really interested in their program because of their bilingual emphasis. I guess I am just so depressed by the whole process. I'm happy for people who get accepted, but I can't help but feel this sinking, scary feeling that it's not gonna happen for me. I don't think my stats are bad (3.09 Undergrad GPA (ick, I was immature), 3.9 CSD GPA, 165V, 154Q, 4.0AW, trilingual, study-abroad experience, and volunteer experience in a top-rated rehab hospital and in a speech-language clinic). I know that I will I make an awesome SLP, but I just don't know if I've proved it to the programs to which I've applied. I am still bitter about not getting in last year, and I just can't face another round of rejections. It will eat me alive.

Getting super nervous about the CSULA interview, I'll be there the same day as you.  Haven't heard anything about what the interview is like but I'm so nervous about specific questions related to certain disorders, anatomy, etc.  I too am really interested in CSULB's special cohort and am axiously awaiting a response from them.  I have heard mixed things about some people already being notified.  Good luck on the interview!

Getting super nervous about the CSULA interview, I'll be there the same day as you. Haven't heard anything about what the interview is like but I'm so nervous about specific questions related to certain disorders, anatomy, etc. I too am really interested in CSULB's special cohort and am axiously awaiting a response from them. I have heard mixed things about some people already being notified. Good luck on the interview!

Thanks; you too! I had an interview last year (I was wait listed :( ), and they mainly asked a lot of situational questions. It was similar to a job interview in a lot of ways. It felt relaxed, although I was still super nervous! I was expecting other types of questions. I'm not sure if they'll use the same approach this year, but I hope that helps!

Thanks; you too! I had an interview last year (I was wait listed :( ), and they mainly asked a lot of situational questions. It was similar to a job interview in a lot of ways. It felt relaxed, although I was still super nervous! I was expecting other types of questions. I'm not sure if they'll use the same approach this year, but I hope that helps!

That sucks!  (the waitlisted part).  Anything helps!  Thank you.  As it gets closer and closer I'm practicing what I'll say to certain questions, lol it's a little obessesive.  Let me know if you hear from Long Beach.  Did they have a writing portion last year as well?  I'm not sure if that is new.  That part doesn't worry me as much bc I usually do well with writing, but the on the spot questions has me nervous. 

I see that most people are hearing back from UOP (my first choice!!). If any of you guys that were accepted to UOP or waitlisted, would you mind sharing your stats? Thanks :]

Are CSU's will be the last one to send their acceptances? Any ideas from last year?

Anyone know or applied to UNR when they notify?

Typically, yes. My husband applied to East Bay last year - they waitlisted him on April 10th, and rejected him (only after he emailed to inquire) on May 24th. You can check the history in the results page for the other schools but it seems like they all notified much later than the non-CSU schools.

That sucks! (the waitlisted part). Anything helps! Thank you. As it gets closer and closer I'm practicing what I'll say to certain questions, lol it's a little obessesive. Let me know if you hear from Long Beach. Did they have a writing portion last year as well? I'm not sure if that is new. That part doesn't worry me as much bc I usually do well with writing, but the on the spot questions has me nervous.

I practice questions, too! Lol I hope people assume I have Bluetooth in my car!

They had the writing portion last year, but the prompt was unrelated to SLP. It was pretty simple. Plus, they had doughnuts and coffee :) I had an issue with LB and my app because of a transcript they kept requesting, so I sent it twice, and they didn't even need it! So my app was barely cleared and referred to the dept. So I'm kinda giving up on it at this point. Oh well :/ Is your interview in the morning or the afternoon? Mine is early. Good luck!

I practice questions, too! Lol I hope people assume I have Bluetooth in my car!

They had the writing portion last year, but the prompt was unrelated to SLP. It was pretty simple. Plus, they had doughnuts and coffee :) I had an issue with LB and my app because of a transcript they kept requesting, so I sent it twice, and they didn't even need it! So my app was barely cleared and referred to the dept. So I'm kinda giving up on it at this point. Oh well :/ Is your interview in the morning or the afternoon? Mine is early. Good luck!

Yes I've been practicing in the shower, in the car, etc lol.  I've had a quite an experience with the transcripts myself!  I actually missed the CSUF deadline bc I sent my transcripts to the school and didn't realize I had to send them to the CSDCA place until it was too late.  Oh well.  A classmate of mine told me she had an interview at Long Beach this past Saturday, so I dk what's going on there.  I have an afternoon interview at CSULA, 3pm, so i'll miss you if yours is earlier in the morning.  BUt good luck and hopefully we'll be in the CSULA program together!

Has anybody heard anything from CSUN, CSULA, Chapman, or CSULB? I (pretty obviously) applied to those schools & more, but I haven't been contacted for an interview at CSULB or CSULA ...which really scares me.

I'm going insane waiting for responses!  :wacko: I know I'm not alone too! I just wanna knowww! 

Good luck, everyone!

Has anybody heard anything from CSUN, CSULA, Chapman, or CSULB? I (pretty obviously) applied to those schools & more, but I haven't been contacted for an interview at CSULB or CSULA ...which really scares me.

I'm going insane waiting for responses!  :wacko: I know I'm not alone too! I just wanna knowww! 

Good luck, everyone!

I know CSULA held their interview already. I'm not sure about CSULB or CSUN (I didn't apply to any of the CSUs). I also applied to Chapman and I have not heard from them yet. I know from speaking to those who have applied to Chapman last year that they do hold an interview. I am a little worried since I have not been contacted yet and it seems to be a little late for interviews now since it is already mid March. I am planning on calling/emailing Chapman to check on my status. I will keep you posted!

Good luck, everyone!

Hey ziggy,

I know CSULB held some group interviews on March 8th. I was told letters would be mailed this week or next week. Not sure if an interview is necessary for admission. You can see if anything is updated on their graduate admission portal. My friend also had an interview at Chapman before the CSULB one, but I am not sure of anything else regarding Chapman (they may still be scheduling interviews). Good luck! I am sure you'll hear some good news soon. California schools are always a bit slower which stinks for the nerves.

Nik24 -- thanks for the info. I heard that some people got rejected from CSULB, however I'm still in limbo, which is giving me SOME hope. But, it's hard to hold onto. Let me know if you call chapman! I never know if I should contac schools or not because most say not to. I checked on the chapman portal for my admissions status & it says, "Decision Pending". Haven't gotten contacted for an interview but did do the supplemental application ...so maybe there's still hope there!

Yancey -- thanks for the info too. I've been checking on the portals for each school almost every day but still no news! I'll get not worried if people start receiving acceptances & I haven't heard anything at all.

Nik24 -- thanks for the info. I heard that some people got rejected from CSULB, however I'm still in limbo, which is giving me SOME hope. But, it's hard to hold onto. Let me know if you call chapman! I never know if I should contac schools or not because most say not to. I checked on the chapman portal for my admissions status & it says, "Decision Pending". Haven't gotten contacted for an interview but did do the supplemental application ...so maybe there's still hope there!

Yancey -- thanks for the info too. I've been checking on the portals for each school almost every day but still no news! I'll get not worried if people start receiving acceptances & I haven't heard anything at all.

I'm at CSULB now taking pre-requisite courses and I'm pretty certain the interviews/rejections that have happened were for the special cohort only. Still waiting for any updates regarding the Traditional M.A. program.

Chapman has a portal?? I thought it was a CSDCAS application? I submitted my supplemental packet as well but I was emailed or contacted about a student portal.