is doing an STM/ThM a good idea?

Kibble

Hi, I'm considering a PhD in early church/NT. I finished my MDiv 9 years ago and have been working as a pastor in my tradition, but am increasingly interested in possible doctoral work.

It's been a while since I was in school and I'm worried I don't have current references or anything to indicate current ability or interest.

Would an advanced masters degree be helpful for me? or a waste of time/$?

thanks!

Considering almost all ThM's are not funded, it depends on how much money you think is reasonable to spend. The most valuable part, as you mentioned, would be current recommendations. Then again, the letter writers would have not had you for a complete semester, so it's difficult to say how 'good' the letters would be. Another reason a lot of people in similar situations get t ThM is to improve their language skills. In EC you are going to need a fair amount of Latin and Greek, as well as German/French, so that is another advantage for the degree.

Edited by furtivemode

S/he could do an STM or ThM and then apply for the PhD a full year later, in fall 2014. That way the referees would have had at least a full, if not two, semester(s) with her/him. 

Funding is an issue, but then again, so is nine years "outside" of academia (not doubting you've maintained an interest, it's just different when you're not in school). If the PhD in NT/EC is a real dream, I would lean in the direction of doing an advanced masters degree as a kind of "down payment" on (hopefully) getting a fully-funded offer at a PhD program later.

Hey Kibble,

Ditto to what Body Politics advised. Not only will applying a full year later give your referees two semesters to interact with you and get a more thorough understanding of you as a potential scholar, but the additional gap year will allow you to fill any gaps in languages which is very important for making a competitive application.

Just a final note on what I said about letting professors know you as a potential scholar - this bit is important, because you want them to write you strong references. Some professors, out of politeness, will agree to write a recommendation for you because you asked but because they don't know you well enough, they'll write a run-of-the-mill reference and, well, there is nothing quite as damning as faint praise...

Edited by cadences

Thanks everyone. I'm a bit concerned with the comment that being outside of academia for nine years is a problem. Can I "solve" the problem by taking a short advanced-level degree, or is it always going to be a liability in my applications?

I don't think any lacunae in our applications are ever really "solved." You're always going to be better than some and not as good as others. I think that nine years is a long time---but I also think a ThM/MTS is a great way to get back in the game. If you flourish, that will show that you've still got the chops. If you really are dreaming of doing a PhD, don't let that time off stop you. Go for the ThM/MTS and see where it gets you! :)

Ditto :) This is another reason why I would recommend applying to a PhD only after you're done with the STM/ThM...you would have a completed advanced Master's on hand with stellar grades as concrete proof that you're a competent potential PhD student. As for the time gap, it doesn't necessarily have to be a 'weakness' in your application - it really depends on how you sell yourself and your life experiences. If you can give it a positive spin in your SOP, it might end up being a strength too...again, it's how you sell yourself to the institution (to put it somewhat baldly).

If your Greek and Hebrew are still up to par (or if you can get them up to speed before starting), then I say go for the ThM. But if you are going to need more time to get some of your basic skills going again, then I'd suggest considering an academic MA of some sort. 

If you're applying to top-tier PhD programs, they generally do not like long gaps between degrees.  It isn't impossible to be accepted, but any gap over 3 or so years becomes an admission's obstacle in most cases.  A ThM or STM usually doesn't make a difference either.  These programs prefer to accept young guns fresh out of stellar MA or MTS programs.  That said, I can't speak for lower tier programs.    

Historically, the ThM/STM is useful for two reasons: (1) to write a thesis on a subject that you would like to keep pursuing in your dissertation and (2) fill in gaps that you may have missed in your MDiv/MA program. I opted to do a ThM for the latter reason and have become far more competitive than if I would have applied directed from my MDiv. I have found it incredibly helpful to catch me up on recent research, pick up a research language, decide on a dissertation topic (as I was not ready), and continue networking with scholars who can push me in the right directions. After beefing up on any language requirements you may have, I say go for it.