Chemistry Applications Fall 2014

Chemisto

Does anyone else who applied to UPenn still have their application marked as incomplete? The website says that my official test scores have been received, as well as my recommendations. My personal statement, CV, and transcript are also attached to the application as directed. Should I contact admissions about this potential issue? I know the deadline was yesterday, but the application says all of the required materials have been submitted, yet it is marked incomplete.

Also, congrats to those who have been accepted to programs already! Here's hope for the rest of us.

Edited by lellies

Does anyone else who applied to UPenn still have their application marked as incomplete? The website says that my official test scores have been received, as well as my recommendations. My personal statement, CV, and transcript are also attached to the application as directed. Should I contact admissions about this potential issue? I know the deadline was yesterday, but the application says all of the required materials have been submitted, yet it is marked incomplete.

Also, congrats to those who have been accepted to programs already! Here's hope for the rest of us.

Mine is the same - just noticed that since you pointed it out.  I submitted my app almost a month ago.

Mine is the same - just noticed that since you pointed it out.  I submitted my app almost a month ago.

Ah, it's probably a batch-processing issue then. They probably didn't "verify" the applications yet, since the deadline was yesterday. Thanks for your quick reply, that puts me at ease. What division are you applying for?

I'm applying for organic.  What about you?

I'm applying for physical. Keeping my hopes up; my quant. GRE score is on the lower side for a pchem applicant, but the rest of my application is hopefully good enough to outweigh it.

Hello everyone...

I am glad to see everyone getting admitted. Infact, I noticed that all chemistry graduate applicant on the Result search got accepted. This is really good! Does any one know about the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY? The Chemistry department has been constantly sending me mail to apply. Although, I initially ignored their mai since I was done with application. But after I eventually sent in my application yesterday, after I received a mail from a member of the Admission Committee. Do you think if my chance of getting admitted is high here? I believe my stats are pretty good.

Hello everyone...

I am glad to see everyone getting admitted. Infact, I noticed that all chemistry graduate applicant on the Result search got accepted. This is really good! Does any one know about the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in Troy, NY? The Chemistry department has been constantly sending me mail to apply. Although, I initially ignored their mai since I was done with application. But after I eventually sent in my application yesterday, after I received a mail from a member of the Admission Committee. Do you think if my chance of getting admitted is high here? I believe my stats are pretty good.

I would imagine if you are receiving mail directly from the school telling you to apply, your chances of being admitted should be excellent, since they are basically saying "We would love to have you at our school, but you have to apply". I know nothing about the school, so I cannot give you anymore information about it, but I hope this helps!

Hello everyone...

What advisers are you interested in at Florida State University? I currently work in their chemistry department and have good insight to their admission selection. They put a strong emphasis on GRE scores with a minimum of 70% on the quantitative section and I think 50% or 60% on the verbal. They put much less emphasis on GPA so as long as you're above a 3.0-3.2 you're pretty good and if you have research experience on top of that then you're doing great. As far as Polytech NY goes I am not sure. I received the same letter and on it they said they would wave the application fee so it couldn't hurt to apply!

I was talking to an organic professor at my school today and he said he alone was charged with reviewing all of the organic applicants! Any other attending students have insight on how common this is? I was always under the impression that a comittee sat around a table and went through applicants.

Congrats to those who have heard back thus far and good luck to those still waiting, this time can be stessfull but you'll get through.

What advisers are you interested in at Florida State University? I currently work in their chemistry department and have good insight to their admission selection. They put a strong emphasis on GRE scores with a minimum of 70% on the quantitative section and I think 50% or 60% on the verbal. They put much less emphasis on GPA so as long as you're above a 3.0-3.2 you're pretty good and if you have research experience on top of that then you're doing great. As far as Polytech NY goes I am not sure. I received the same letter and on it they said they would wave the application fee so it couldn't hurt to apply!

Dudley, Holton and Tyler

Dudley, Holton and Tyler

well here is a little heads up, to the best of my knowledge Holton does not take graduate students anymore only postdocs and if by Tyler you mean Dr. Tyler McQuade he does take graduate students however he moved to Germany a few years back and talks with his students via skype, he is a great chemist but this is something to take into consideration. Dudley is probably your best bet. I would switch out Holton for a different option, Alabugin and Zhu are both great organic chemists to look into.

well here is a little heads up, to the best of my knowledge Holton does not take graduate students anymore only postdocs and if by Tyler you mean Dr. Tyler McQuade he does take graduate students however he moved to Germany a few years back and talks with his students via skype, he is a great chemist but this is something to take into consideration. Dudley is probably your best bet. I would switch out Holton for a different option, Alabugin and Zhu are both great organic chemists to look into.

Thanks "clickclick"! I am also hoping to work with Dudley since my research interest completely match his own. Natural Product synthesis.

Things have been quiet lately. A little too quiet. I need Berkeley and MIT to start making decisions soon before I lose my sanity.

I think that will change soon. A friend of mine said most of responses start rolling in this month. Dont go off the deep end just yet!

Things have been quiet lately. A little too quiet. I need Berkeley and MIT to start making decisions soon before I lose my sanity.

From the results page, it looks like MIT has started accepting applicants.

For people with 5 publications, yeah. That guy is pretty exceptional.

@alkyl, I'm already off the deep end....

I don't understand how someone gets 5 pubs in the undergrad.  It's pretty impressive.

I don't understand how someone gets 5 pubs in the undergrad.  It's pretty impressive.

Five first author pubs? They must be going the RB Woodward approach. they'll walk into grad school and walk out a few months later with their PhD.

Five pubs total is crazy but not impossible. I've seen some profs who write all the pubs themselves, so if they have worked for 3+ years on a number of different projects with others in their lab it could happen.

Yay! Got accepted at CU Boulder, and they're going to fly me out to Santa Cruz to interview :)

I guess it's still pretty early, so I have my fingers crossed for more prestigious schools, but Santa Cruz and Boulder are pretty good worst-case scenarios. I definitely wouldn't mind going to either of those places. Waiting for responses from the rest of the schools that I applied to will be easier, knowing that I got in somewhere.

Edited by MaudDib

Yay! Got accepted at CU Boulder, and they're going to fly me out to Santa Cruz to interview :)

I guess it's still pretty early, so I have my fingers crossed for more prestigious schools, but Santa Cruz and Boulder are pretty good worst-case scenarios. I definitely wouldn't mind going to either of those places. Waiting for responses from the rest of the schools that I applied to will be easier, knowing that I got in somewhere.

Congrats! It is a pretty good feeling. But as someone who is in a similar situation (in at great schools but not top choice) it's still nerve wracking awaiting those few schools.