Chemistry Applications Fall 2014

Chemisto

this whole application process is stressful. Dealing with LOR writers that say they submitted the LOR but I did not receive a confirmation e-mail and the application says it has not been submitted. Can't wait until this is all over!!!

You gotta be persistent!! 

this whole application process is stressful. Dealing with LOR writers that say they submitted the LOR but I did not receive a confirmation e-mail and the application says it has not been submitted. Can't wait until this is all over!!!

Exactly what ASAP Rocky said. 2 of my letter writers have been great about doing things in a timely manner, and correctly.One had not. However, think about it from their perspective. If you've submitted >5 applications, especially if you didn't send the LoR requests all at the same time, it's easy to get caught up in the shuffle of email and life and lose track of things.

Last week, I sent an email to the prof that still hadn't submitted half of my letters. I basically just said, "Hey, I'm gonna send reminders from all the schools right now so you'll have them all bunched up and don't have to go digging to submit." He had the requests since early October in some cases. After doing this, he submitted that day. All complete. Just keep pressing. Professors obviously know how stressful and important this process is for you. They'll understand. Just be respectful, naturally.

Edited by YaBoyAR

Exactly what ASAP Rocky said. 2 of my letter writers have been great about doing things in a timely manner, and correctly.One had not. However, think about it from their perspective. If you've submitted >5 applications, especially if you didn't send the LoR requests all at the same time, it's easy to get caught up in the shuffle of email and life and lose track of things.

Last week, I sent an email to the prof that still hadn't submitted half of my letters. I basically just said, "Hey, I'm gonna send reminders from all the schools right now so you'll have them all bunched up and don't have to go digging to submit." He had the requests since early October in some cases. After doing this, he submitted that day. All complete. Just keep pressing. Professors obviously know how stressful and important this process is for you. They'll understand. Just be respectful, naturally.

That is exactly what I will do tomorrow!!! Good to know people do send these reminders that are already included in the application program. 

Does anyone know if early submission of Application has a positive effect? In my case I submitted all my application around late August.

I think that helps only where there is rolling admission.Someone mentioned here that MIT does not start the review process until 15th dec.But  Some programs start offering admissions even before their announced deadline. I think early application (like in 1-2 months early) helps for programmes that have their deadlines in early Feb or mid January.

Yeah programs that have a deadline in December won't even start preparing and printing the applications until the deadline. In which case early applications are only useful in that you have enough time to make sure ALL the required materials have been submitted.

Got an email from a professor at Purdue last night who reviewed my app. So I guess they're making decisions now, for those interested.

I don't know that I would consider it an official notice until the school sends me an email but his exact words were, "Admission / Fellowship is, as they say, money in the bank."

Edited by YaBoyAR

Got an email from a professor at Purdue last night who reviewed my app. So I guess they're making decisions now, for those interested.

Really? Their deadline isn't for another two months. Hm. In light of this, I'd go ahead and submit my app early, except that I can't afford the application fee yet :(

I don't know that I would consider it an official notice until the school sends me an email but his exact words were, "Admission / Fellowship is, as they say, money in the bank."

Wow, that's pretty crazy...I certainly hope they'll be updating anyone who's already applied about their application status, I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear about any one of my apps.

Really? Their deadline isn't for another two months. Hm. In light of this, I'd go ahead and submit my app early, except that I can't afford the application fee yet :(

Just get it in before the deadline and I'm sure it'll be fine. They likely just do admissions on a rolling basis. Many schools do that.

Yeah, I would assume that as long as you submit by the deadline, if you were gonna get in before the deadline, you'll still get in at the deadline.

Well the deadline for many schools is approaching. What I'm thinking is that many schools will take a quick look at applications next week, and then won't look at them for another two weeks due to the holiday break. Anyone agrees?

Well the deadline for many schools is approaching. What I'm thinking is that many schools will take a quick look at applications next week, and then won't look at them for another two weeks due to the holiday break. Anyone agrees?

Sort of. They're professionals. Not students or anything so they're break won't be that long. I predict they'll begin the 16th. Take a couple of days off for Christmas and get back to it right after. From what I've seen on the results page, Illinois and Chicago have already begun accepting people and most others will follow suit right after Christmas and early January. But who knows...

Interview at University of Washington's genome sciences program! I think this one went out early ahead of most chemistry programs, though, so still waiting on the UDub chem admissions committee.

aaaany day now, admissions committee, aaaany day...

Zsu265D.gif

Schools applied: Duke, Northwestern, Penn State, Chicago, UW, UIUC, UNC-Chapel Hill, Purdue, UFL,Rice,OSU, Boulder, Emory, Cornell, Rochester, UVa, Gatech. All completed on Dec.08

Materials Chemistry, dye chemistry, sensing chemistry, analytical chemistry

uGPA (international): 2.6 (not sure. the original is 78 in a full scale of 100)

MS GPA (US):3.8 

GRE: Q 780 (87%)  V:490 (53%)  A:3.0 (14%)

cGRE: 740  59%

Four  publications and one patent: two 1st author, two second author (first author is PI, he explains I am the major contributor of the two second authored papers in LOR). And one US patent, 1st author.  Total impact factor over 20. Total Independent Citations over 100 times. One presentation in ACS meeting.

Two years working experience in a World leading chemical company ( #1 or #2) as  a R&D Chemist.

One letter from MS PI, two letters from Senior Scientists from company.

Edited by eshing

Sort of. They're professionals. Not students or anything so they're break won't be that long. I predict they'll begin the 16th. Take a couple of days off for Christmas and get back to it right after. From what I've seen on the results page, Illinois and Chicago have already begun accepting people and most others will follow suit right after Christmas and early January. But who knows...

the 16th huh? That's this Monday!!!! Scary!

Wow, that's pretty crazy...I certainly hope they'll be updating anyone who's already applied about their application status, I'm on pins and needles waiting to hear about any one of my apps.

It's not uncommon for schools with later application dates to get their feet in the door early per say. I got an unofficial acceptance around this time from one of my "safety schools", and three others by Christmas. The earlier the better, as long as you don't sacrifice quality.

Edited by Faraday

I Just submitted apps to UIUC, MIT, Caltech and Indiana today. I realize I'm dangerously close to the deadline, but I was bogged down this recent week with finals. I requested that ETS submit my GRE scores about two weeks ago and I sent my transcripts off about a week and a half ago. Would it be a problem if my scores/transcripts arrived before my app was submitted? or do they just discard them?

I Just submitted apps to UIUC, MIT, Caltech and Indiana today. I realize I'm dangerously close to the deadline, but I was bogged down this recent week with finals. I requested that ETS submit my GRE scores about two weeks ago and I sent my transcripts off about a week and a half ago. Would it be a problem if my scores/transcripts arrived before my app was submitted? or do they just discard them?

Scores are mostly matched electronically...it should not be an issue...For transcripts, one i think they are not much important as u are already uploading an e-copy....and secondly if u had already started the application, they would v ur name in  the system.