Chemistry Applications Fall 2014

Chemisto

Does anyone know if University of Colorado Boulder is still accepting people?

I emailed them and asked about my status and here is the response " Our decisions are rolling, and as such you can expect decisions to be made from now until about April 1st. That said, once our committee has reviewed and made a decision regarding your application, our department notifies you immediately by email."

You got into Illinois. They're not that good. The end.

What?  This is awful advice from YaBoyAr.  Minnesota has a pretty large program, and I am sure that they have some great researchers (albeit other than googling their USNEWS ranking just now - #21 - I don't know much about particular faculty at Minnesota).  It depends on you personal fit.  My approach is I am going to visit every school that I get into and wait to make any decisions until after I have more knowledge about each program.

@someyoungkid - I believe YaBoyAR was referencing how Minnesota was in comparison to UIUC.  I'm sure both programs are good all around, but Illinois has a much better reputation IMO.

Poncho, your comment is true, insightful and helpful -- YaBoyAr's is not.  Saying "You got into UIUC. the end" is, in my opinion, not good advice at all.  Also, brooksja5 did't ask anything about UIUC.  I'm sure he or she is well aware of national reputations and was asking for specific insight about the program in the twin cities.

Poncho, your comment is true, insightful and helpful -- YaBoyAr's is not.  Saying "You got into UIUC. the end" is, in my opinion, not good advice at all.  Also, brooksja5 did't ask anything about UIUC.  I'm sure he or she is well aware of national reputations and was asking for specific insight about the program in the twin cities.

Lol. UMadBro?

To appease the young kid -- University of Minnesota is a great institution. They are ranked in the top 25 for chemistry and have some professors that do outstanding work. They have faculty that work on many different areas of chemistry research. Many students graduate from here and go on to have very successful careers. You will gain a great deal of training at this institution. However, I notice that you have also been accepted to Illinois. They are a far superior program and would afford you boundlessly greater career prospects. I would suggest that you attend this institution above Minnesota. Good day and good luck.

Or tl;dr in regards to UMinn: You got into Illinois. They're not that good. The end. B)

Lol. UMadBro?

To appease the young kid -- University of Minnesota is a great institution. They are ranked in the top 25 for chemistry and have some professors that do outstanding work. They have faculty that work on many different areas of chemistry research. Many students graduate from here and go on to have very successful careers. You will gain a great deal of training at this institution. However, I notice that you have also been accepted to Illinois. They are a far superior program and would afford you boundlessly greater career prospects. I would suggest that you attend this institution above Minnesota. Good day and good luck.

Or tl;dr in regards to UMinn: You got into Illinois. They're not that good. The end. B)

Hahaha... thank you sir. Not trying to start anything here. I was just curious to see if anybody had any "helpful" info about the U of M.  I definitely understand that UIUC is a nicer program when you look at the institution as a whole. 

Lol. UMadBro?

Sorry, but if you wanted to appease me it should have read like this:

Upon further reflection I realize that I have no insight about the University of Minnesota.  I can now see that when someone who I have never met asks for information about a something, they are not asking for my opinion.  Also I sincerely apologize for using the word "bro."

Hey guys,

Please be respectful. Most people would understand that UIUC is better than Minnesota. But definitely there should be some students who applied to both but just got in to the later one. Could you not disappoint those people by making that kind of comparison? It is really awful.  

Same boat :/

At least they haven't sent anymore acceptances this past week it seems, so maybe there's one more wave coming...

Just received an e-mail from UT Austin. Visitation days are February 21-22 or March 21-22.  Good luck guys.

Hey guys,

Please be respectful. Most people would understand that UIUC is better than Minnesota. But definitely there should be some students who applied to both but just got in to the later one. Could you not disappoint those people by making that kind of comparison? It is really awful.  

Personally, I do not comprehend what "better" means. Although the there is a ranking out there labeling schools, I believe you cannot trust these rankings fully. I'm not sure how others applied to schools, but I personally applied looking at specific professors I would like to work with. If you have done research in a type of field and have read tons of papers, you will begin to know which professors are "good" and reliable in your field. You will also know that not all good professors come from the "better" schools.

P.S. Of course having Harvard or MIT would be good on your resume, but other schools aren't worse just because they're not the top ranking in a silly ranking system.

Just received an e-mail from UT Austin. Visitation days are February 21-22 or March 21-22.  Good luck guys.

Just wondering, when did you complete your application? My application didn't get sent for review until after New Years (recommendations didn't all get sent in until then).

Just wondering, when did you complete your application? My application didn't get sent for review until after New Years (recommendations didn't all get sent in until then).

I sent my application on the 15th, and was sent for review shortly after I submitted it (~16th.) Recommendations were submitted on or before the 15th as well.

@Lina, I don't know yet! I'm trying to wait until not-Harvard sends out decisions so I can schedule accordingly. Washington and Stanford already conflict for me so I don't want to muddle things up further...

Edited by loginofpscl

I sent my application on the 15th, and was sent for review shortly after I submitted it (~16th.) Recommendations were submitted on or before the 15th as well.

@Lina, I don't know yet! I'm trying to wait until not-Harvard sends out decisions so I can schedule accordingly. Washington and Stanford already conflict for me so I don't want to muddle things up further...

Well, Berkeley has 4 weekends to visit, so choose any. I don't know about the rest of your schools though. I have my 3 weekends planned already, and two weekends left for Berkeley.

Well, Berkeley has 4 weekends to visit, so choose any. I don't know about the rest of your schools though. I have my 3 weekends planned already, and two weekends left for Berkeley.

It's nice that Berkeley has four weekends-- if I do get in, they apparently coordinate visits with Stanford so you can visit both on the same weekend. Does anyone have MIT, Caltech, and Carolina visitation dates?

It's nice that Berkeley has four weekends-- if I do get in, they apparently coordinate visits with Stanford so you can visit both on the same weekend. Does anyone have MIT, Caltech, and Carolina visitation dates?

According to the MIT prof. that emailed me, it's March 29th.

Hello everyone,

Apparently I'm another forum stalker, but here's a question that's been bugging me.

So Harvard only release its acceptance in 1 day yes? The result search last year had people commenting so (they sent/called right after the only day HU released acceptance and got replied that they already released all acceptances). So if I don't hear back by now it's safe to say I'm out? 

Anyone visiting MIT and CalTech? since MIT only had one, which one are you guys going for CalTech?

Ugh, I got an email from the director of graduate studies (also a POI in my SOP) from Yale saying I was accepted in early January--no update to the website and no letter in the mail.  This is starting to seriously mess with me--I just want to have  concrete offer in my hands!

Ugh, I got an email from the director of graduate studies (also a POI in my SOP) from Yale saying I was accepted in early January--no update to the website and no letter in the mail.  This is starting to seriously mess with me--I just want to have  concrete offer in my hands!

That is weird. On Monday I got my official letter in the mail with funding information and stuff. I'd email them if I were you.

On another note, I was just accepted to NYU. Seems like its coming down to MIT and Harvard. Losing hope on getting those acceptances.