Chemistry Applications Fall 2014

Chemisto

Just got accepted to UC Davis! It's the first school I've heard back from so it feels good to have this weight off my shoulders. Also got a fairly sizable fellowship offer too!

Congrats! How much, btw? :D

Edited by spex_guy

I got into Caltech!  I'll post my stats to reassure future applicants who bomb the chem GRE:  3.52 gpa from a SLAC, 3 years ugrad research, 1.5 years as a lab tech/pseudo grad student, one 5th author pub, a few posters, 161Q/163V/5.0, and, the killer: a 600 on the chem GRE.  That's the 20th percentile.  So don't despair, future applicants!  It might not be a big deal. 

I got into Caltech!  I'll post my stats to reassure future applicants who bomb the chem GRE:  3.52 gpa from a SLAC, 3 years ugrad research, 1.5 years as a lab tech/pseudo grad student, one 5th author pub, a few posters, 161Q/163V/5.0, and, the killer: a 600 on the chem GRE.  That's the 20th percentile.  So don't despair, future applicants!  It might not be a big deal. 

My friend, your gpa, scores and experience is very similar to mine! In fact your chem GRE is exactly the same as mine. You have given me hope thank you. Was there anything special that you think contributed to your application?

My friend, your gpa, scores and experience is very similar to mine! In fact your chem GRE is exactly the same as mine. You have given me hope thank you. Was there anything special that you think contributed to your application?

I am glad!  I think they take a holistic view of your potential as a scientist, not just your standardized testing skills, lol.  I think my recs were great.  I graduated in 2012 and have been working as a lab tech/pretend graduate student since then.  I would imagine that the letter from my current PI attesting to my success driving a project forward was the strongest part of my application. 

Good luck! 

I got into Caltech! I'll post my stats to reassure future applicants who bomb the chem GRE: 3.52 gpa from a SLAC, 3 years ugrad research, 1.5 years as a lab tech/pseudo grad student, one 5th author pub, a few posters, 161Q/163V/5.0, and, the killer: a 600 on the chem GRE. That's the 20th percentile. So don't despair, future applicants! It might not be a big deal.

You're awesome.

Edited by Strobb

I am glad!  I think they take a holistic view of your potential as a scientist, not just your standardized testing skills, lol.  I think my recs were great.  I graduated in 2012 and have been working as a lab tech/pretend graduate student since then.  I would imagine that the letter from my current PI attesting to my success driving a project forward was the strongest part of my application. 

Good luck! 

Thank you for your post, I have very similar stats to you, but can't attest that my letters were as good. You've reassured me, and I'm crossing my fingers and neurotically checking my e-mail/phone! May I ask what division your interest was in?

Edited by loginofpscl

Dear fellow chemists!

I need your feedback :) I'm an international student from Uzbeksistan, but I am obtaining by BS at Purdue graduating this Spring. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.76, Major GPA: 3.89, GRE: Verbal - 148, Quant - 160, AW - 4.5, Chemistry - 730.

4 amazing LORs, 3 years of research experience in physical and computational chemistry (2 research groups simultaniously), 2 years of teaching in the helproom, one summer internship in Germany at Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, several poster presentations, one publication, mentor in Women in Science.

Applied to: Purdue, UC Berkeley, U of T Austin, TAMU, U of Arizona, U of Chicago, Northwestern, U of Colorado Boulder

Accepted to: U of T at Austin, Northwestern, U of Chicago, TAMU and U of Arizona.

My top choice is Berkeley, and I still haven't heard anything yet. Do you think there is a chance? Also, for those who got into Berkeley - when are the visiting weekends?

Thank you very much!

I appreciate your input!

Thank you for your post, I have very similar stats to you, but can't attest that my letters were as good. You've reassured me, and I'm crossing my fingers and neurotically checking my e-mail/phone! May I ask what division your interest was in?

I applied chemical biology/physical chemistry. Apparently the prof was trying to call me and not getting through so he sent me an email. I don't know what the problem was because I have been staring at my cell since December! Ha!

Good luck!

ETA: on my phone messing things up sorry!

Edited by reactiontime

So I know I already asked this question but one of the professors I have contacted previously at Berkeley is in his 1st year and currently only has a few students (from his website). Should I contact him and ask about admissions? I would really like to work for him and he expressed his interest in me. I guess this would be my way of reminding him to check out my application and hopefully speed up the process. I'm getting a little nervous, I'm not comfortable with just sitting around and waiting... :/

So I know I already asked this question but one of the professors I have contacted previously at Berkeley is in his 1st year and currently only has a few students (from his website). Should I contact him and ask about admissions? I would really like to work for him and he expressed his interest in me. I guess this would be my way of reminding him to check out my application and hopefully speed up the process. I'm getting a little nervous, I'm not comfortable with just sitting around and waiting... :/

same question and situation; I was asking current graduate students, they said to better not email and rush, but I still really want to write.

I think if you have contacted the professors and they expressed interest in working with you, it is ok to ask about the process. But honestly, it's almost the end of January, when most decisions should be made. I know it's no fun waiting around but I would give it another week. Just my opinion though.

Stats.

GPA: 3.2 cumm/3.3 major

BS Chemistry  (senior doing last semester)

5 Semesters of research/1 Poster presentation

GRE: 155Q/153V/4.0

3 strong LOR

Research fellowship...its basically a grant award I won from the college.

1 intern at a polymers company.

Interest: Physical, synthesis

What do you guys think about my stats?

I'm really worried I won't get into schools, its already the end of january! Close to the end. :(..........

I know my stats are bad, but my UG institution UT austin is pretty well ranked in  Chem. 

Btw i'm international....worried that my low stats+being an intl will keep me from getting in...

Have any other internationals heard back?? I feel like they review our apps after the domestic students.

I look at everyone's stats and it makes me quite depressed lol.

thanks

-------------------------

Applied to: Georgia Tech, U of Utah, U of Nebraska-lincoln, U of Washington Seattle, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Boston College

Accepted:

Rejected: 

Edited by Hunuter123

Stats.

3 strong LOR

Interest: Physical, synthesis

What do you guys think about my stats?

I'm really worried I won't get into schools, its already the end of january! Close to the end. :(..........

I know my stats are bad, but my UG institution UT austin is pretty well ranked in  Chem. 

Btw i'm international....worried that my low stats+being an intl will keep me from getting in...

Have any other internationals heard back?? I feel like they review our apps after the domestic students.

thanks

Applied to: Georgia Tech, U of Utah, U of Nebraska-lincoln, U of Washington Seattle, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Boston College

Accepted:

Rejected: 

Hey :)

I have similar stats to yours, and I'm also international but got my BS from Purdue. Don't get disappointed or whatever in your stats - I got into 3 top institutions with no problems, and two more less highly ranked; if you get BS in the US, you are considered as a domestic student anyway, so don't worry about being international. Good luck!

Stats.

3 strong LOR

I know how you feel. Based on all of my experience during undergrad, I thought that my 3.65/3.84 major GPA was really great -- at least, compared to my friends at this institution. I got on here, though, and it seems that every other person has a 3.9+ GPA. Some of them even list it out to three decimal places xD

Keep in mind, though, that you're at a big public institution, and that a lot of the people here with ridiculous GPAs went to private schools. Grade inflation is really bad at many private schools, and not so bad at big public schools. There's hard data about that at http://www.gradeinflation.com/ . Check it out, maybe it will make you feel slightly better.

Also, I *really* want to go to your school for grad school. It's definitely my first choice. I'd like to work with Dr. Kr****. I'm jealous that you got to go there for undergrad :P

Edited by MaudDib

I know how you feel. Based on all of my experience during undergrad, I thought that my 3.65/3.84 major GPA was really great -- at least, compared to my friends at this institution. I got on here, though, and it seems that every other person has a 3.9+ GPA. Some of them even list it out to three decimal places xD

Keep in mind, though, that you're at a big public institution, and that a lot of the people here with ridiculous GPAs went to private schools. Grade inflation is really bad at many private schools, and not so bad at big public schools. There's hard data about that at http://www.gradeinflation.com/ . Check it out, maybe it will make you feel slightly better.

Also, I *really* want to go to your school for grad school. It's definitely my first choice. I'd like to work with Dr. Kr****. I'm jealous that you got to go there for undergrad :P

Thanks, I know who Dr. Kr*** is, I guess you are doing organic.  Almost had him for orgo I then I took someone else, worst mistake ever lol.  I'm not sure have you looked into Dr. S----l, but he was an absolutely awesome instructor, not sure if u'd like his research.  Also, I got into University of Tennessee at Knoxville with a tuition waiver and stipend :)  

Applied to: Georgia Tech, U of Utah, U of Nebraska-lincoln, U of Washington Seattle, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Boston College, U of Tennesee Knoxvillle

Accepted: U of Tennesee Knoxvillle 

Rejected: 

Edited by Hunuter123

Thanks, I know who Dr. Kr*** is, I guess you are doing organic.  Almost had him for orgo I then I took someone else, worst mistake ever lol.  I'm not sure have you looked into Dr. S----l, but he was an absolutely awesome instructor, not sure if u'd like his research.  Also, I got into University of Tennessee at Knoxville with a tuition waiver and stipend :)  

Applied to: Georgia Tech, U of Utah, U of Nebraska-lincoln, U of Washington Seattle, Texas A&M, Ohio State, Boston College, U of Tennesee Knoxvillle

Accepted: U of Tennesee Knoxvillle 

Rejected: 

Congrats! The first acceptance is one you will likely not soon forget.

Has anyone heard back from Vanderbilt yet? I decided to apply there almost as an afterthought initially but actually it might be one of my top choices if I get in. I noticed on the results page from last year its almost all rejections. Surely they are accepting some people....