Scheduling interviews with a full-time job

Maleficent999

Hello fellow graduate and future-graduate students,

I am applying for Fall 2014 admission and I have one major concern regarding the interviews. I haven't finished my applications but hopefully I'll at least get an interview somewhere. For those of you that are or were working full-time during application season, how did you handle scheduling interviews at schools? I'm hoping that my job will be accomodating without asking too many questions (they don't know I am applying and potentially quitting in the future), but what if I can't get the time off? Do they give pretty advanced notice? I know most of the interviews will be during the week. Were you/are you honest with your employer? Would you go to the interview anyway and just call in sick? Are schools accomodating with interviews or do they expect you to show up at the risk of not being admitted if you don't show up?

Any insight is much appreciated.

Oh how I dreaded this part before starting my Master's program and dread it again as I do PhD apps.  I have not breathed one word to my employer about school and I have no intention of doing so.  You're also in Cali so I bet you already know how challenged the economy is right now and how employers are being as picky as possible.  When I decided to go back to school I knew two things:  1)  I needed a job and 2)  I was replaceable.  I have seen employees pretty much fired (usually they fashion it as a position elimination or lay off) for having outside goals/interests that will lead to their eventually leaving the company and moving on so I did not expect to be supported.  Sad, but true.

When it came time for interviews I was able to do the bulk of them on the weekend and schools gave me about 2-3 weeks notice.  I found most schools were very accommodating to those of us with jobs and anticipated off hours interview times.  There was one that had to be done during the day and I put in for a personal day.  I am one of those employees that generally asks for 1 day off a year (my birthday) so I knew management wouldn't give me a hard time.  If for some reason they had not granted the personal day I would have just called in sick and dealt with their dirty looks the next day.

Oh how I dreaded this part before starting my Master's program and dread it again as I do PhD apps.  I have not breathed one word to my employer about school and I have no intention of doing so.  You're also in Cali so I bet you already know how challenged the economy is right now and how employers are being as picky as possible.  When I decided to go back to school I knew two things:  1)  I needed a job and 2)  I was replaceable.  I have seen employees pretty much fired (usually they fashion it as a position elimination or lay off) for having outside goals/interests that will lead to their eventually leaving the company and moving on so I did not expect to be supported.  Sad, but true.

When it came time for interviews I was able to do the bulk of them on the weekend and schools gave me about 2-3 weeks notice.  I found most schools were very accommodating to those of us with jobs and anticipated off hours interview times.  There was one that had to be done during the day and I put in for a personal day.  I am one of those employees that generally asks for 1 day off a year (my birthday) so I knew management wouldn't give me a hard time.  If for some reason they had not granted the personal day I would have just called in sick and dealt with their dirty looks the next day.

Unfortunately, my work gives out write-ups if you call in sick on a day that you requested off. I work in an office of only 3 other people so its very difficult for more than one of us to be gone at a time. Thank you for the input. Hopefully I can schedule any interviews on weekends and just call in sick if I have to go during the week.

Luckily, most sociology interviews/visitations take place on the weekends. Last year, I was invited to interview/visitation weekends that were scheduled for Thursday through Saturday. Typically, you will be asked to arrive on late Thursday night and leave on Sunday. There are exceptions to this as every department has its own schedule. 

In my experience, there are always at least a couple of people who either can't attend the Friday sessions or can't stay the entire weekend due to other interview/work schedule conflicts. There are a number of programs that have their visitation days on the same weekend so you might have a big decision to make if you find yourself in that situation. Most programs are fine with alternative arrangements long as you make them aware of what works best for you.

As far as taking time off from your job, I think that's an issue you have to negotiate carefully and creatively. Depending on where you apply, you may or may not have to go through an interview process before you get admitted. I would definitely take time off and attend those. Visitation weekends are more relaxed since you've already been admitted. Being in service industry, I was able to get my shifts covered for those weekends without any problems. I will let other members weigh in on how to negotiate taking time off from more formal jobs.

Edited by electric_burrito

Unfortunately, my work gives out write-ups if you call in sick on a day that you requested off. I work in an office of only 3 other people so its very difficult for more than one of us to be gone at a time. Thank you for the input. Hopefully I can schedule any interviews on weekends and just call in sick if I have to go during the week.

Yep I knew that it was likely I'd get written up for calling in sick if I had gone with that option.  I just felt it was worth the risk.  Yeah small offices are a huge pain when it comes to someone needing time off for any reason. 

Hello! I'm also applying while working full-time. It is not easy! I'm attending a visitation event next week and have to take 3 days vacation. However, I told my immediate manager last fall of my intentions because I needed her help in having an altered work schedule earlier this year so I could finish my B.S. and an independent study research project. So my manager knows and I just told the person that I support about my plans and he was very supportive and excited for me. Hopefully it will go as planned and they will not "eliminate" my position before next summer!!!

• 1 month later...

Hey, most of the time I just asked for the day off without giving a reason or I would just call in sick if the interview dates are close together..since I dont want to use the same excuse twice..I think it depends how supportive and flexible your manager is