Retake the GRE?

clurp

Sorry if this is a boring topic, but I took the GRE today. I got a 170V, 163Q. 

I expected a better score on the quantitative section but I timed the second section poorly and didn't have enough time at the end. My undergraduate degree is in math with a 3.76 GPA from a top 20 (USNews) school and I've taken a lot of grad level math courses. 

I'm applying to some of the following statistics PhD programs: 

Duke 

Carnegie Mellon 

Texas 

Washington

Berkeley

UCLA 

UNC

Rice

NC State 

Columbia

Should I retake the GRE to try to raise the quantitative score? How much do programs care? 

Edited by clurp

I just took it and got a 170Q 165V.

I'm really surprised as to why you got a 163 though.  That's missing over 6 questions...it's like high school math lol.  How could you possibly run out of time?

The verbal is way harder than the quant...

Edited by zzzboy

That's the frustrating part. None of the individual questions in the quantitative part are hard. I guess I spent too much time reading the numbers off the data analysis charts or I spent too much time double checking that I hadn't make an arithmetic mistake or was otherwise just a little too slow.

I did better on the practice tests, so I could probably improve the score. But if it's not likely to change schools' feelings about my application, then I don't want to do it. Taking the GRE isn't cheap or fun. 

Edited by clurp