How many PIs per school?

windypoplars

I realize this is a very stupid question, but I couldn't resist to ask. 

For some schools, I ended up wanting to work with just 1 faculty, but wondered if I should try to squeeze in 1-2 more just to increase my chance of getting in by stretching my research interest a little bit. 

Does anyone have a similar dilemma? Should I be true to my research focus, or compromise my focus to increase my chances? 

I wouldn't compromise your research interests, unless you have children or other extenuating circumstances which require you to stay in a certain geographic location and limit you to only applying to one or two schools. 

This training will prepare you for work you want to get into later on after graduating. Do you want to become an expert in an area that you aren't so interested in?

I guess you need to ask yourself how strong your motivation is to put years of work into a dissertation on a topic that's of secondary interest. I know someone who's done it - didn't enjoy the process, but was unusually disciplined and ended up getting a great degree that will open up many doors over the next few years. But I can't say most people are capable of doing that (myself included). Only you are able to make that determination.