How to use the em dash on the GRE?

Char123

I hear that ETS appreciates sophistication, so I will try to use a few em dashes here and there where it's appropriate. But.... how do you actually type the 'em' dash?

The em dash is slightly longer than a normal dash. I can't seem to figure out how to type it on the powerprep software. 

Unless you're just supposed to use a normal dash? But that makes it look like you're connecting two words. 

Edited by charlies1902

Don't know about powerprep software. In Word, it inserts the em dash if you put a space before and after the dash ( like - this) and then continue typing. Someone said Word would do with with two hyphens but it hasn't done it for me. I'd guess as long as you include the spaces, the em dash would be implied....what application do you even type in when taking the test?

Pre-computer, the em dash was two hyphens in a row. If you cannot get the em dash to work, type two hyphens. Of course, word wrap will break the line at a hyphen. A "normal" dash is a hyphen. The en dash is used to separate things like dates, e.g. 15-Jan-2013. The keyboard shortcut for an em dash is ctrl-alt-hyphen or ctrl-alt-0151. It did not work in this text box.

As a person who has the training to grade ETS essay exams, and a person who has graded many, many essays (exam and otherwise), the em dash isn't really that big of a deal. Commas work as well for most things. The key is knowing the logic of the essay and catering directly to your reader. Make it easy for them. The average GRE grader (I've heard from one) does about 20 essays an hour. They're locking in a ginormous conference room, or gymnasium, with tables that seat 8 or more people, and stacks of essays to grade. They have food (sugar stuff) at hand. And they read hundreds of essay in an 8 hour span.

So. Em dashes? The more important thing is to have clear thesis statements and supporting points. To use interesting language, but not poetic language. Figures of speech are great, but don't pack them on and don't use cliches. Especially if you don't know where the figure comes from. For instance, most people will use things like toe the line (or spell it tow the line) and have no clue what the metaphor refers to. (It's a boxing thing). Don't use GRE words when clearer words work better. Dense language = difficult to read, which means frustrating when grading a massive pile. Any work from any sort of slush pile that is a pleasure to read gets good grades. Pleasure means interesting, complex enough to exercise thinking, but no so complex that the reading must stop or pause in order to puzzle through it. Use specific, concrete details (e.g. top pitchers like Nolan Ryan can throw a fastball in excess of 100 mph) rather than generic evidence (many famous pitchers are known for the speed of their fastball) or abstract ideas (pitching speed is a sign of baseball stardom) to support your main points. Do not use evidence to support your thesis statement directly. Explain your thinking.

Don't know about powerprep software. In Word, it inserts the em dash if you put a space before and after the dash ( like - this) and then continue typing. Someone said Word would do with with two hyphens but it hasn't done it for me. I'd guess as long as you include the spaces, the em dash would be implied....what application do you even type in when taking the test?

There are no spaces between the em dash and the words surrounding it. It should look like this: Nouns--person, place, thing, or idea--are subjects and objects in a sentence. In word processors that auto-format punctuation, they'll do it automatically if you type two hyphens with no spaces between the word, hyphens, and following word.

There are no spaces between the em dash and the words surrounding it. It should look like this: Nouns--person, place, thing, or idea--are subjects and objects in a sentence. In word processors that auto-format punctuation, they'll do it automatically if you type two hyphens with no spaces between the word, hyphens, and following word.

well what you say...

Yeah, there should not be spaces before em dashes nor after, but I do disagree that we should avoid GRE words over simpler words. I've been taught to use a few, but nothing in excess as it makes you sound pretentious. 

Is vocab really obscure..? It's not like they expect you to know old english (FF is pronounced as an S, no?)

I did fine on my GRE, particularly the lit/vocab/english/whatever it's called portion. I think it's just a matter of exposure.

Read lots. It's not about study - I got a perfect score on my ACT verbal back in the day and i never studied. I know, it is hard if it's not your interest but words.. be words.. They be importants. (Right now someone is dying knowing I got a perfect score and yet scratched that abomination of a sentence out - those are the moments I live for.)

Edited by Loric