International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Hey guys. 

All the best.

It is time for me to leave for Mendoza. There is a long holiday till Tuesday in Argentina. So I will be spending it, indulging in wines and steak. And face the cruel (may be blissful) news coming to me next week. 

If I am lucky enough to be future classmates with any of you, I will bring you some Argentine wines  B)

Have a nice weekend ! Hermano sy Hermanas  

Have a good journey!!! Hope all of us get good news in the end.  :) 

Hey guys. 

All the best.

It is time for me to leave for Mendoza. There is a long holiday till Tuesday in Argentina. So I will be spending it, indulging in wines and steak. And face the cruel (may be blissful) news coming to me next week. 

If I am lucky enough to be future classmates with any of you, I will bring you some Argentine wines  B)

Enjoy your trip! And hopefully when you get back there will be good news waiting for you!

Hello all, 

I got my decision from NYU, SOAS and LSE.. I got accepted but now waiting for financial aid decision. Anyone considering going to these school ? My first choice is IHEID  though.. So waiting for IHEID.. Good luck everyone!!!

Hello all, 

I got my decision from NYU, SOAS and LSE.. I got accepted but now waiting for financial aid decision. Anyone considering going to these school ? My first choice is IHEID  though.. So waiting for IHEID.. Good luck everyone!!!

Oh That's great congratulations Curious_Grad! Do you know when SOAS gives out financial aid decisions? I have heard nothing in this regard from them.

I feel like we are all getting great news left and right from all the schools and hope the streak of good luck continues for all of us with the Graduate Institute!

You know it's not sick at all I feel the same way! If the decision is kind of out of my hands because one of my top choices rejects me but the other takes me then it makes it a bit easier to choose with no regrets. (with that said IHEID don't reject me please!!)

I'm also leaning towards the 2 year program at IHEID because I feel like one year will go by so fast! But I'm torn because I'm older than most here and not fresh out of undergrad, I already have been working for a few years so do I really want to go back to school for 2 years? That also seems like a very long time to not be working full time... not to mention that LSE's prestige is undeniable and my favorite curriculum is Sciences Po's because it's really all about teaching you practical skills. I'm so torn and all over the place!

LSE gave me a bit of money but it will not be even close to enough for me to be granted a UK student visa by proving I have sufficient funds to pay tuition and living costs. I am like you looking at other options so if you come across anything for internationals please do share and I'll do the same. I will really focus on that when I do choose a school, it's hard searching for funding in 3 different countries when you don't even know where you will end up.

Just like you I'm extremely torn all over the place - one day I think LSE would be best since it's shorter and I can hit the ground running to look for jobs sooner, and the next day I think IHEID would be best since it's longer and has an internship component. Based on my very rough calculations total costs are going to come up to about the same so I don't even know at this point.

I think one strike against LSE is the UK's very unflexible visa regulations - after you've completed your degree it's impossible to stay back and look for jobs and very difficult for employers to hire foreigners, which is a big drawback for me since I'm interested in looking for employment in Europe. I'm not sure what Swiss visa rules are like though, I should really look into that.

Best of luck in your funding search!! I know what a frustrating process it can be.

Edit: Upon some brief research it looks like Switzerland has similar visa requirements for students in that you need to leave immediately after completing your studies unless someone's hired you and can sponsor your work visa. It makes sense but that's too bad (for me).

Edited by oriole

Hello all, 

Hey, I also applied for SOAS. I got the offer of master in international studies and diplomacy. 

So yesterday was a good day! I heard from IDS and the Sanford school of public policy at Duke University, and got accepted into both. Duke gave some aid as well, so things have started to look up!

The coming week will be crucial for all of us. Good luck:)

So yesterday was a good day! I heard from IDS and the Sanford school of public policy at Duke University, and got accepted into both. Duke gave some aid as well, so things have started to look up!

Congratulations again! :)

You should check out the Sciences Po Masters in Development Practice, the same where Alchyna got in. The curriculum is beyond amazing.

Angie thanks for all the inputs but I've made my choice! I hope we can all stay connected even post admissions and share our ideas and learnings in different fields. I can't wait to start in September even though it's going to be a tough thing to get back to books & papers & more papers..Good luck again!

Hey guys. 

All the best.

Enjoy and all the best for the results :)

Hello all, 

Hey, I also applied for SOAS. I got the offer of master in international studies and diplomacy.

Congratulations to all of you. :)

Oh That's great congratulations Curious_Grad! Do you know when SOAS gives out financial aid decisions? I have heard nothing in this regard from them.

I feel like we are all getting great news left and right from all the schools and hope the streak of good luck continues for all of us with the Graduate Institute!

I was just thinking that fortunately none of us have been rejected by any of our choices. How exactly is IHEID going to make choices between such awesome candidates. Anyway! I really hope all of us get through (:

Just like you I'm extremely torn all over the place - one day I think LSE would be best since it's shorter and I can hit the ground running to look for jobs sooner, and the next day I think IHEID would be best since it's longer and has an internship component. Based on my very rough calculations total costs are going to come up to about the same so I don't even know at this point.

I think one strike against LSE is the UK's very unflexible visa regulations - after you've completed your degree it's impossible to stay back and look for jobs and very difficult for employers to hire foreigners, which is a big drawback for me since I'm interested in looking for employment in Europe. I'm not sure what Swiss visa rules are like though, I should really look into that.

Best of luck in your funding search!! I know what a frustrating process it can be.

Edit: Upon some brief research it looks like Switzerland has similar visa requirements for students in that you need to leave immediately after completing your studies unless someone's hired you and can sponsor your work visa. It makes sense but that's too bad (for me).

really? I didn't know this about swizz visa. In that case, French are so much better giving 5 years after post graduation to stay and find a job.

Angie thanks for all the inputs but I've made my choice! I hope we can all stay connected even post admissions and share our ideas and learnings in different fields. I can't wait to start in September even though it's going to be a tough thing to get back to books & papers & more papers..Good luck again!

No problem. Happy to help :)

Anyway yes I am so excited myself regards September. I am counting days but before that I want IHEIDs result!

I was just thinking that fortunately none of us have been rejected by any of our choices. How exactly is IHEID going to make choices between such awesome candidates. Anyway! I really hope all of us get through (:

really? I didn't know this about swizz visa. In that case, French are so much better giving 5 years after post graduation to stay and find a job.

Haha! Angie, let's tell IHEID how awesome we are and how they just can't let go of anyone of us :D (Can we, please?) 

Haha! Angie, let's tell IHEID how awesome we are and how they just can't let go of anyone of us :D (Can we, please?)

We sure can try, though i am not sure, they will take that in consideration. :P Edited by k_angie

None of these countries make you leave immediatly after you complete your degree, there is a grace period that gives you enough time to find work. You are absolutely right that one country might give you more time than another and that for all of them, non EU citizens must be sponsored, but some are not as rigid as others:

Switzerland: Non-EU/EFTA citizens studying in Switzerland are permitted to accept part-time employment for a maximum of 15 hours per week, but only after residing in Switzerland for a minimum of 6 months. Students must maintain full-time student status and show regular progress in their studies. Third country nationals who earn a degree from a university in Switzerland may stay in the country for up to six months after graduation to seek full, permanent employment. Non-EU/EFTA citizens must acquire a work permit before beginning their job. In general, the employer submits an application to the relevant authority of the canton where the prospective employee will be working. The application process can take up to several weeks. Candidates who receive a degree from a university in Switzerland will be granted facilitated admission to the Swiss labor market. Employers will still have to show proof that the candidate is of economic and scientific interest to the Swiss labor market.

United Kingdom: While studying in the UK, students with Tier 4 (General) Student visas and student visas issued before the points based system (PBS) was introduced in March 2009 are also permitted to work. Employers are not required to obtain permission for students to be able to work. Full time degree students at LSE will have a sticker in their passport or a Biometric Residence Permit. (This is in the form of an ID card) that shows that they are permitted to work.

Students can work part time during term time (dates set by LSE) and full time in vacations. Masters students on one year programmes are not on vacation during the Summer and can only work full time after the official end date of their LSE programme. LSE students studying on degree programmes can work up to 20 hours a week during term time.  Students who have completed their programme can work full time from the official end date of the LSE programme until the expiry date of their visa.  LSE students on 9 month Master programmes will have permission to remain in the UK for two months after the end date of their programme. Students who submit an in-time application to switch into a different immigration category (for example, Tier 2) will obtain an automatic extension of their student visa until a decision is made and they can continue to work under the student immigration rules. the government has made it easier for employers to recruit students who are already in the UK with Tier 4 (General) Student visas.

France: International students have the right to work while studying in France as long as they are enrolled in an institution that participates in the national student health-care plan. Students who are not nationals of EU member countries must also hold a valid residency permit. The right to work applies to all students, including those who are in France for the first time, those who are enrolled in the first year of a university program, and those who are enrolled full-time in a language school. The law allows students to work 964 hours in a given year, which corresponds to 60% of full-time employment for the year. You are no longer required to obtain temporary employment authorization in order to work part-time while enrolled. Students who have earned at least a master’s degree or the equivalent may apply for a one-time (nonrenewable) temporary residency authorization valid for 12 months beyond the date of expiration of the student’s residency permit. The authorization enables the student to work at any job up to the limit of 60% of the official work week (that is, just over half-time employment). Students who obtain a job related to their academic program at a rate of compensation equal to at least 1.5 times the national minimum wage may enter full-time employment by filing a request for change of status (from student to employee) at their prefecture. Applicants for employment authorization must submit an employment contract or offer of employment from a French firm. In adjudicating the application, the authorities will take several criteria into account, including the firm’s motives, the applicant’s background, and the amount of time the applicant has spent in French higher education.

We sure can try, though i am not sure, they will take that in consideration. :P

Angie, do you think we can hear back next week? Should we email them? We've been waited for four months!!!

Angie, do you think we can hear back next week? Should we email them? We've been waited for four months!!!

I hope so we hear back the next week for sure. I too thought of emailing them and asking for information but then they have already mentioned 1-15th March so well I don't want to put unnecessary questions. Yes I know what you mean about waiting for 4 months, I feel for every person who applied for the early deadline and have been waiting since forever. :/

None of these countries make you leave immediatly after you complete your degree, there is a grace period that gives you enough time to find work. You are absolutely right that one country might give you more time than another and that for all of them, non EU citizens must be sponsored, but some are not as rigid as others:

Switzerland: Non-EU/EFTA citizens studying in Switzerland are permitted to accept part-time employment for a maximum of 15 hours per week, but only after residing in Switzerland for a minimum of 6 months. Students must maintain full-time student status and show regular progress in their studies. Third country nationals who earn a degree from a university in Switzerland may stay in the country for up to six months after graduation to seek full, permanent employment. Non-EU/EFTA citizens must acquire a work permit before beginning their job. In general, the employer submits an application to the relevant authority of the canton where the prospective employee will be working. The application process can take up to several weeks. Candidates who receive a degree from a university in Switzerland will be granted facilitated admission to the Swiss labor market. Employers will still have to show proof that the candidate is of economic and scientific interest to the Swiss labor market.

United Kingdom: While studying in the UK, students with Tier 4 (General) Student visas and student visas issued before the points based system (PBS) was introduced in March 2009 are also permitted to work. Employers are not required to obtain permission for students to be able to work. Full time degree students at LSE will have a sticker in their passport or a Biometric Residence Permit. (This is in the form of an ID card) that shows that they are permitted to work.

Students can work part time during term time (dates set by LSE) and full time in vacations. Masters students on one year programmes are not on vacation during the Summer and can only work full time after the official end date of their LSE programme. LSE students studying on degree programmes can work up to 20 hours a week during term time.  Students who have completed their programme can work full time from the official end date of the LSE programme until the expiry date of their visa.  LSE students on 9 month Master programmes will have permission to remain in the UK for two months after the end date of their programme. Students who submit an in-time application to switch into a different immigration category (for example, Tier 2) will obtain an automatic extension of their student visa until a decision is made and they can continue to work under the student immigration rules. the government has made it easier for employers to recruit students who are already in the UK with Tier 4 (General) Student visas.

France: International students have the right to work while studying in France as long as they are enrolled in an institution that participates in the national student health-care plan. Students who are not nationals of EU member countries must also hold a valid residency permit. The right to work applies to all students, including those who are in France for the first time, those who are enrolled in the first year of a university program, and those who are enrolled full-time in a language school. The law allows students to work 964 hours in a given year, which corresponds to 60% of full-time employment for the year. You are no longer required to obtain temporary employment authorization in order to work part-time while enrolled. Students who have earned at least a master’s degree or the equivalent may apply for a one-time (nonrenewable) temporary residency authorization valid for 12 months beyond the date of expiration of the student’s residency permit. The authorization enables the student to work at any job up to the limit of 60% of the official work week (that is, just over half-time employment). Students who obtain a job related to their academic program at a rate of compensation equal to at least 1.5 times the national minimum wage may enter full-time employment by filing a request for change of status (from student to employee) at their prefecture. Applicants for employment authorization must submit an employment contract or offer of employment from a French firm. In adjudicating the application, the authorities will take several criteria into account, including the firm’s motives, the applicant’s background, and the amount of time the applicant has spent in French higher education.

Thanks for this Alchyna :)

:o I can't believe I found such incorrect information online haha, I guess I was confused by the different rules and policies they've had throughout the years. But this is really great to keep in mind! Thank you for tracking down all the information!

:o I can't believe I found such incorrect information online haha, I guess I was confused by the different rules and policies they've had throughout the years. But this is really great to keep in mind! Thank you for tracking down all the information!

You're welcome! I pulled the info from official immigration pages and lse international students regulations, so I'm sure this is accurate.

The question should not be what country lets internationals stay longer, but rather where is it easier to get sponsored by an employer!

same here... I got accepted for the same program..Congratulations Sanfan....They have only one scholarship for that program..lets hope Best and deserving candidate gets it 

IHEID, is killing me... I have been checking my application status every 6 hours and it says "UNDER CONSIDERATION".. Now, for me it is coming down to LSE, SOAS or NYU... LSE is very tempting given its one year course...but If I get accepted to IHEID, I will have some scholarship from Kathryn Davis which will immensely help me finishing up my master from IHEID... I am not sure if I can wait any longer to hear a decision from IHEID... I am getting an impression that IHEID is first choice for many of us, what are your other choices after IHEID ? 

Also, any ideas how many students they are accepting for MDev Studies and MIA?

Edited by Curious_Grad

same here... I got accepted for the same program..Congratulations Sanfan....They have only one scholarship for that program..lets hope Best and deserving candidate gets it 

Congrats to you too!!!

If I am right, SOAS only give us four weeks to accept the offer or not. Since I don't really want to do a one-year master, I didn't accept the offer and of course I didn't apply for the scholarship.

IHEID is also my top choice. If I'm rejected, I'll take the double master between Warwick University and Konstanz University. Hope the IHEID results come soon...