International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

For me, yesterday's e-mail from IHEID suggest a very tight race in the applications they have received.    Previous years decisions was never like this, people heard back from late-feb to mid-march in trickles.

It's remarkable how much quieter this thread has become as compared to yesterday. Looks like IHEID's email does seem to have had an effect.

Surely did. By this time yesterday, i had already refreshed the online portal like 25 times as compared to just once today

For me, yesterday's e-mail from IHEID suggest a very tight race in the applications they have received.    Previous years decisions was never like this, people heard back from late-feb to mid-march in trickles.

It's remarkable how much quieter this thread has become as compared to yesterday. Looks like IHEID's email does seem to have had an effect.

Exactly that's what I was thinking. Although I keep checking my application portal but well it's already 6th. 8'days more rather 6 more if I take Sat - Sun out. Still doesn't keep me calm. :(

IHEID though...

When i see the words "under consideration" a picture of thorough professors going through my application file sudddenly comes to mind. How long is this going to take?? :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: .  6 days feels like eternity. that's it, im goings to their office now.*packing bags*

p.s: i have not lost my mind...yet <_<

I was hoping that when they said they hoped to send out all emails by Friday 14th March, that it meant there would essentially be rolling admissions from today until that date. Going by the lack of activity on this thread, however, this does not appear to be the case. I realise we here are just a small sample of all applicants, but what are the odds that they have indeed been issuing admissions and no one on this thread has received one today?

Also, is anyone else deliberately attempting to ignore the implications of the qualifier "we hope to be able to"?

Edited by mych

I was hoping that when they said they hoped to send out all emails by Friday 14th March, that it meant there would essentially be rolling admissions from today until that date. Going by the lack of activity on this thread, however, this does not appear to be the case. I realise we here are just a small sample of all applicants, but what are the odds that they have indeed been issuing admissions and no one on this thread has received one today?

Also, is anyone else deliberately attempting to ignore the implications of the qualifier "we hope to be able to"?

Hey Mych!  I was hoping they would be doing a rolling process too but you're right it doesn't seem like that at the moment. I'm very suspicious of the term "we hope to be able to"  too but I'm choosing to ignore it at the moment otherwise I would go insane!

I got to know that few disciplinary admission calls have been made out today. No interdisciplinary ones!

Thanks for the update Angie! At least on this forum we know that we're not alone in our awful waiting and can pool our knowledge of the situation! :)

Hey Mych!  I was hoping they would be doing a rolling process too but you're right it doesn't seem like that at the moment. I'm very suspicious of the term "we hope to be able to"  too but I'm choosing to ignore it at the moment otherwise I would go insane!

Thanks for the update Angie! At least on this forum we know that we're not alone in our awful waiting and can pool our knowledge of the situation! :)

Happy to help. Plus there has been no like nada activity here as compared to yesterday. Boy my virtual company felt all alone. :(

Happy to help. Plus there has been no like nada activity here as compared to yesterday. Boy my virtual company felt all alone. :(

Hehe - sorry we've all abandoned you! Maybe it's a time zone thing? I've only recently come back to my room after a pretty busy day... I'm also vainly trying not to obsess over this!

I had dreams last night that I woke up in the middle of the night (USA) to read an email on my phone saying I wasn't accepted. Now my mind is playing tricks on me! I can't wait for this to all be over! haha! At any rate, I think I've given up exerting any large quantities of mental energy on this. Now my attitude is "eh...they will let us know....eventually, or maybe never"

I was hoping to wake up to tons of posts here about a few people getting some decisions but nothing! Well whether we get no news, good news or bad news I'm still here ha ha

Hehe - sorry we've all abandoned you! Maybe it's a time zone thing? I've only recently come back to my room after a pretty busy day... I'm also vainly trying not to obsess over this!

Haha it's okay! I am sitting all day applying for interns and refreshing this page again and again so well!

I had dreams last night that I woke up in the middle of the night (USA) to read an email on my phone saying I wasn't accepted. Now my mind is playing tricks on me! I can't wait for this to all be over! haha! At any rate, I think I've given up exerting any large quantities of mental energy on this. Now my attitude is "eh...they will let us know....eventually, or maybe never"

I got a weird dream too how my documents were all lost and hence they never took out my decision. Plus so many other weird ones like how I was accepted and then when I reach IHEID, they say it was a prank they pulled. Anyway ignoring all that.

I was hoping to wake up to tons of posts here about a few people getting some decisions but nothing! Well whether we get no news, good news or bad news I'm still here ha ha

Yay see commitment. Good going Alchyna :D

Did we have to upload all internship certificates with the application? I haven't done that :(

Neither did I. It doesn't matter. Does it?

What's the use of worrying now, we can't do anything!

Relax. Chill.

I am going to send an email to IHEID to withdraw my application.

Lets go to Sciences Po.

I found an interesting course today.

http://formation.sciences-po.fr/en/enseignement/2012/deco/1260a

DECO 1260A - Elective The World of wine in France

Pre-requisite :

A genuine interest in the wine industry, in France and worldwide. Capacity to interview and interact with wine professionals in particular at the Salon des Vignerons Indépendants, the bi-annual wine fair in Paris.

Course Description

The course will cover some of the history of wine in France and the differences between wine growing in Europe, and the rest of the world. Is the Old World, New World debate justifiable and if so why? What can be learned from European wine practices? From other wine producing areas in the world? How wine is made, and what are the rules and regulations pertaining to it? A visit to the Salon des Vignerons Indépendants will be an opportunity to interview wine growers from all over France and information gathering for your term paper.

Teachers

BRICK-STOCK, Carol (Lectrice)

Pedagogical format

In-class debate, oral presentation, wine tasting and guest speakers. One long written paper at the end of term.

Course validation

Continuous Assessment: 1- an oral presentation of ten minutes 2- participation in class and questions to guest speakers 3 - final term paper of 3,500 words on a subject approved in advance. This may be an extension of your oral presentation.

Required reading

• -A reader will be provided for the class.
  • -"The Art and Science of Wine" Halliday and Johnson.
  • Various articles from the press on recent news pertaining to oenology.
  •  

Edited by mickun88

Mickun you cracked me up! This has made my decision easier! I can go learn about wines who needs Geneva? While you'll be drinking I'll be eating fine cheeses and croissant everything under the sun!

To be fair, there's wine in and around Geneva too! I actually stumbled across the blog of a current IHEID student describing an IHEID degustation trip to a vineyard earlier this year..    

http://justrikki92.wordpress.com/

Add the following bit for the exact post! I can't seem to post the full link.

2014/02/22/organic-wine-tasting-for-a-change/

Edited by mych

Well, it's Friday already...i guess we won't be hearing from IHEID till next week after all.

It is still  Thursday evening here... so I hope I get to see my decision when I wake up tomorrow!!!!

I am going to send an email to IHEID to withdraw my application.

Lets go to Sciences Po.

I found an interesting course today.

http://formation.sciences-po.fr/en/enseignement/2012/deco/1260a

DECO 1260A - Elective The World of wine in France

Pre-requisite :

A genuine interest in the wine industry, in France and worldwide. Capacity to interview and interact with wine professionals in particular at the Salon des Vignerons Indépendants, the bi-annual wine fair in Paris.

Course Description

The course will cover some of the history of wine in France and the differences between wine growing in Europe, and the rest of the world. Is the Old World, New World debate justifiable and if so why? What can be learned from European wine practices? From other wine producing areas in the world? How wine is made, and what are the rules and regulations pertaining to it? A visit to the Salon des Vignerons Indépendants will be an opportunity to interview wine growers from all over France and information gathering for your term paper.

Teachers

BRICK-STOCK, Carol (Lectrice)

Pedagogical format

In-class debate, oral presentation, wine tasting and guest speakers. One long written paper at the end of term.

Course validation

Continuous Assessment: 1- an oral presentation of ten minutes 2- participation in class and questions to guest speakers 3 - final term paper of 3,500 words on a subject approved in advance. This may be an extension of your oral presentation.

Required reading

• -A reader will be provided for the class.
  • -"The Art and Science of Wine" Halliday and Johnson.
  • Various articles from the press on recent news pertaining to oenology.
  •  

Isnt that for undergraduate students only? :/

Mickun you cracked me up! This has made my decision easier! I can go learn about wines who needs Geneva? While you'll be drinking I'll be eating fine cheeses and croissant everything under the sun!

Oooo yes you anyway said you will be my guide for anything French. :D