International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

Thanks for sharing your good news guys..Looks like IHEID is giving out their decision finally..Oh well, my still says "Under Consideration"..Dont know whether I should hate it coz its been there for forever or love it coz it hasnt change into Rejected :P

Hey guys, do you find out ur financial aid along with ur admission decision or have to wait ?

Edited by Curious_Grad

Congrats to Fahad and Yuanchen Cai! Good to see MIA are also starting to get their decisions!

I just checked my status just in case and nope... still under consideration!

Congratulations to all my fellow candidates for getting the admission call. I've applied for MIA in IHEID, submitted my documents in Jan so waiting for the result now (damn it's excruciating!). I have an engineering background but a lot of interest in International relations and economics. I know, strange profile and that kind of makes it more exciting. Hope we all get some positive news soon. Cheers! 

I've also applied for MIA (Science Po-LSE) , MID (Science Po) and MAIS (Diplomatic Academy, Vienna).

Hey guys,

I've been creeping on this forum for around two weeks now and never had a chance to join the chatter. I have just refreshed my IHEID application page and my status was changed from Under Consideration to Admitted! Super excited!! I've applied for the Masters in International Affairs programme. Good luck to all of you!

i've just been admitted to MIA too!!!! No email though, the decision was presented on the follow-up page. i guess they are finally sending out their decisions. Good luck!

Heartiest Congratulations you two :) Anyway I checked my result and it was still under consideration. So well nothing new there.

Congratulations to all who have received admission. 

First-deadline-people !!!!!Lets pray that IHEID had not forgotten us !!!!!

I guess they have. They are not even looking at our dossiers again anymore and are going go reject us. Shit, so pessmistic I am. ALCHYHA!!! BALANCE IT OUT. PLS.

sigh I am only going to check my online application status once a first round applicant gets his/her result. Period.

good luck everyone. Just 3 more days.

P.S. - I am just beyond irritated by all this waiting hence the above rejection comment. Pls dont take it seriously anyone or IHEID if you are reading this thread.

Congratz Cai..That must have been a real great relief..i checked mine and still it says under consideration!! 

thanks. it sure is~don't worry, yours is on the way. good luck!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is that your first choice, or are you still waiting on other schools??

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In my case, the admission module first gave me the decision, and the next day I received an email from IHEID.

I'm sure you'll get an email soon, but since only an official email from IHEID is binding, you should contact IHEID if the email doesn't arrive in a couple days.

thx!  hope i can receive the email today...

Congrats to Fahad and Yuanchen Cai! Good to see MIA are also starting to get their decisions!

I just checked my status just in case and nope... still under consideration!

thx! don't worry i'm sure yours is on the way.

Heartiest Congratulations you two :) Anyway I checked my result and it was still under consideration. So well nothing new there.

I guess they have. They are not even looking at our dossiers again anymore and are going go reject us. Shit, so pessmistic I am. ALCHYHA!!! BALANCE IT OUT. PLS.

sigh I am only going to check my online application status once a first round applicant gets his/her result. Period.

good luck everyone. Just 3 more days.

P.S. - I am just beyond irritated by all this waiting hence the above rejection comment. Pls dont take it seriously anyone or IHEID if you are reading this thread.

As much as I would love to balance out your negative thoughts I am really out of positive thinking! I really don't know what to think at this point... where are first rounders decisions!? Everyday I wake up thinking today is the day...

Cai, did you get your financial aid package ?

No...I missed my chance to apply for financial aid :( By the time i knew i was supposed to upload an application for scholarship along with other documents it was already too late. No time for income statement and the like...So my priority now is to explore all the possible means for financial aid.

I guess this why I received my result a little bit early. They don't have to take time to evaluate whether i'm qualified for scholarship. :unsure:

No...I missed my chance to apply for financial aid :( By the time i knew i was supposed to upload an application for scholarship along with other documents it was already too late. No time for income statement and the like...So my priority now is to explore all the possible means for financial aid.

I guess this why I received my result a little bit early. They don't have to take time to evaluate whether i'm qualified for scholarship. :unsure:

In my case, I missed the housing deadline.

I got the housing info email and everything, so i can't blame anyone haha

just forgot about it.....

And unsurprisingly, housing may be an issue in geneva...

it's really hard to find good resources for housing, and many student housing and just housing in geneva have all their websites in French, and my grasp of French is very rudimentary....  

it's really hard to find good resources for housing, and many student housing and just housing in geneva have all their websites in French, and my grasp of French is very rudimentary....  

Many IHEID students live in the dormitories of University of Geneva, which i'm considering applying. Certainly it's not as convenient since it might take 40-60minutes to get to IHEID but the neighborhood is very nice, all quiet and everything. The rent is about 200 francs cheaper too.

i have no knowledge of French. i should really start learning now i think... 

Edited by Yuanchen Cai

Many IHEID students live in the dormitories of University of Geneva, which i'm considering applying. Certainly it's not as convenient since it might take 40-60minutes to get to IHEID but the neighborhood is very nice, all quiet and everything. The rent is about 200 francs cheaper too.

i have no knowledge of French. i should really start learning now i think... 

I'm thinking about UNIGE dorms as well...

Tho I'm not a big fan of quite neighborhoods (weird i know), it looks like i would have little choice if im too picky...

there are many stories on the web about ppl waiting months and going thru a number of vacancies before finding a place...

Tho I'm not a big fan of quite neighborhoods (weird i know), it looks like i would have little choice if im too picky...

there are many stories on the web about ppl waiting months and going thru a number of vacancies before finding a place...

that sounds terrifying. :unsure:  where are they staying then before finding a place? 

Wow. Lots of news to wake up to!

Congratulations everyone who's been accepted! Looks like the long wait period has been worth it. :)

that sounds terrifying. :unsure:  where are they staying then before finding a place? 

I'm not sure actually...

My usual plan when I'm moving or staying in a city for an extended period is usually to just check into a hostel that allows long-term stay or student dorms that allow weekly rates.

That's also a good way to meet ppl and make some friends if you're new to the area

This usually works in the US, since you can find some place that fits those criteria in major cities...

I'm guessing you can contact ppl over the web and try to land a place, or stay in a hotel/hostel for couple days and find some dorm where you can stay for couple weeks/months

Edited by dpgu800

Finding independent housing is indeed quite tricky. In many cases it can also involve having to write a "motivation letter" explaining who you are, what your background is, why you're moving to Geneva and how long you're planning to stay.

A few tips I can give is to have (a) recommendation letter(s) from previous landlords / real estate agencies handy (ideally in French for Geneva). If your current / previous landlord / agency is willing to be contacted by phone or email for verification purposes, so much the better. I reckon IHEID is reputable enough in Geneva that landlords would accept your acceptance there as a reflection of your reliability, so a copy of your IHEID acceptance letter will likely go a long way too. Also be aware that it's considered normal for landlords to request between 1 and 3 months' rent as a security deposit. This amount will only be returned when you move out, with potential deductions for cleaning or to cover any damages that may have occurred during your stay.

The following websites may help with your search:

- whole apartments/studios: Comparis.ch (EN/FR/DE/IT), Immoscout24.ch (EN/FR/DE/IT).

- a room in a shared apartment: wgzimmer.ch (only DE) *WG = Wohngemeinschaft, German for "flatshare".

Edit: I should mention that applying for a room within a flatshare generally allows you to skip the complicated process mentioned above. As everywhere else in the world, it only requires that your prospective flatmates like you.

Edited by mych

We haven't had anyone homeless long-term, from what I remember. In addition to the UniGe residences, there are also other private student residences (specified here: http://mygisa.ch/guide/first-things-first/finding-housing-in-geneva/). These last couple of years, the student association was also able to provide a service whereby incoming students could stay with current students while house-hunting! Finding a place in Geneva sucks, but it is doable!

First of all, congratulations to all who has been admitted!!! And good luck to those who is still waiting for the decisions.

Second of all, has anybody confirmed her/his admission yet? What is on the next page? Is it pre-registration invoice or just one more congratulations?

P.S. for the potential inquiries: I cannot confirm the admission till I get financial support.