International Development Applicants 2014/15 for SOAS, IHEID, LSE or Sciences Po?

k_angie

I also got into NYU and I'm also waiting for SAIS :)  So which one will you choose, SAIS or IHEID?

Hello Cai,

looks like we are fighting for the same school :D

Did you apply to LSE ?

I think I will go to IHEID, making it my first choice... but again, I am leaning towards LSE, given its name and ranking,,I know ranking doesnt matter but again, when you are out in the real world, brand name do matter!!!! Good luck

Haha, that's true.

My friend used a metaphor to describe our thinking and feelings. He said that IHEID and us like having a long time relationship. Maybe it's not the best choice, but we gave our heart to it. We worried, feared, and desperatly dreamed about it. And maybe the long waiting makes us dreaming it more. Now it's the time for harvest, if being rejected, we'll get really hurt in heart. And it would seem that we wasted our time on so many meaningless things in the past six months.

So from yesterday, I kind of told myself that I'm done with this school. Then I feel much better and I can focus on my thesis.

Boy your friend was so damn right about this. I want to just stop fussing over it but I somehow can't. Let's see what tomorrow holds for all of us.

Perhaps the alumni network? If you want to work in IOs...Actually I'm having some doubts recently. Leave location aside, is it really that good?

The tuition fee is like, wow... Even Geneva is expensive like crazy the total cost is very favorable compared to US schools.

I too just keep wondering if the school is that amazing or the fact that I want to get in is making me this crazy.

I'm having trouble focusing on my thesis too.

I feel it's like having a secret crush on somebody, All i can do is guess-does she like me?does she not like me? ....

Nice way to put it across. Btw which course have you applied for?

Hello angie,

for me its location, and if I just get in, I will have almost  full scholarship... 

But as of now, I am leaning towards LSE.

Yeah I am hoping for the similar scenario. :)

Hello Cai,

Did you apply to LSE ?

I think I will go to IHEID, making it my first choice... but again, I am leaning towards LSE, given its name and ranking,,I know ranking doesnt matter but again, when you are out in the real world, brand name do matter!!!! Good luck

I don't think that IHEID DOESNT have a brand name. Guaranteed it's a small school but where it's supposed to matter, it does matter. Esp In the field of international affairs, so either way you can't go wrong.

I don't think that IHEID DOESNT have a brand name. Guaranteed it's a small school but where it's supposed to matter, it does matter. Esp In the field of international affairs, so either way you can't go wrong.

True to that angie...at the same time, I did not say IHEID doesnt have brand name..but everyone knows abt LSE, and it ranks number 2 after Harvard in International Relations.. I could not find IHEID in any of the ranking pool..not sure why though ? Def. if I get in IHEID, I will go regardless other school and their brand name...

True to that angie...at the same time, I did not say IHEID doesnt have brand name..but everyone knows abt LSE, and it ranks number 2 after Harvard in International Relations.. I could not find IHEID in any of the ranking pool..not sure why though ? Def. if I get in IHEID, I will go regardless other school and their brand name...

I am having the same doubts! Is the school that good? Yes it's Geneva but do they really help students find permanent jobs beyond internships... been reading some negative feedback about their career center (small school so small ressources) Am I dying to get in because it's the very first school I applied to and the last hold out?

Everyday I lean in another direction, yesterday I really liked Sciences Po and its program and today I'm thinking LSE is not so bad....

Plus we keep saying IHEID is so much cheaper... is it really? Tuition definitely but I've been doing some research on cost of living in Geneva boy... even for full time working expatriates it's a financial challenge so you can imagine for us students barely working for 2 years! Even with a full scholarship the bulk of the cost will be living expenses and it is easier to get money for tuition than it is for other costs.

I'm now convincing myself that it's not a big loss if I don't get in :-/

Edited by alchyna

I am telling you the cost of a chicken breast in Switzerland, one chicken breast can be between $7-$14 (US). Going out to eat even at McDonalds won't cost you less than $25 (US). 

You know I researched a lot like a lot before I decided my schools rather my top choices. I came across several like several rankings and what not. Generally the only schools listed are either from the US or from UK that too primarily from London. So somehow I do not trust these rankings.

I am having the same doubts! Is the school that good? Yes it's Geneva but do they really help students find permanent jobs beyond internships... been reading some negative feedback about their career center (mall school so small ressources) Am I dying to get in because it's the very first school I applied to and the last hold out?

Everyday I lean in another direction, yesterday I really liked Sciences Po and its program and today Ixm thinking LSE is not so bad....

Plus we keep saying IHEID is so much cheaper... is it really? Tuition definitely but I've been doing some research on cost of living in Geneva boy... even for full time working expatriates it's a financial challenge so you can imagine for us students barely working for 2 years! Even with a full scholarship the bulk of the cost will be living expenses and it is easier to borrow money for tuition than it is for other costs.

Exactly. I totally agree with the first school and the last hold out theory. I feel the freaking same. Plus I am sometimes leaning towards ScPo while sometimes to SOAS and now even IDS.

While I have been in touch with some indian banks who are quite willing to loan me money for tuition but not so much for living expenses. Idk. Plus the whole scholarships they offer are generally for the first year and only 10% people get it renewed the next year. Either way I am quite interested in going to IHEID but I just somehow have some nagging doubts about something or the other.

I am telling you the cost of a chicken breast in Switzerland, one chicken breast can be between $7-$14 (US). Going out to eat even at McDonalds won't cost you less than $25 (US).

I was talking to one of my friend whose currently living there. She said that one meal like a proper one meal costs her something like 50-70 chf and she hasn't gone out for food after that. She cooks and buys her grocery from Paris cuz it's wayyyy too cheap there in comparison to Geneva. Though she received full scholarship from the institute.

I am having the same doubts! Is the school that good? Yes it's Geneva but do they really help students find permanent jobs beyond internships... been reading some negative feedback about their career center (mall school so small ressources) Am I dying to get in because it's the very first school I applied to and the last hold out?

Everyday I lean in another direction, yesterday I really liked Sciences Po and its program and today Ixm thinking LSE is not so bad....

Plus we keep saying IHEID is so much cheaper... is it really? Tuition definitely but I've been doing some research on cost of living in Geneva boy... even for full time working expatriates it's a financial challenge so you can imagine for us students barely working for 2 years! Even with a full scholarship the bulk of the cost will be living expenses and it is easier to borrow money for tuition than it is for other costs.

Alchyna..I dont know why everyone including myself, is going crazy about IHEID.. As far as I know, college is good but is it really comparable to LSE, NYU and Sciences Po? plz feel free to share your ideas and thoughts!!!! 

I was talking to one of my friend whose currently living there. She said that one meal like a proper one meal costs her something like 50-70 chf and she hasn't gone out for food after that. She cooks and buys her grocery from Paris cuz it's wayyyy too cheap there in comparison to Geneva. Though she received full scholarship from the institute.

angie, full scholarship as in tuition or even room and board? 

angie, full scholarship as in tuition or even room and board?

Full scholarship as in tuition plus living expenses. This mean she gets 18000 CHF + exemption from tuition fees. She hasn't paid for anything apart from her visa, flight tickets and misc expenses on arrival.

Hahaha yes I've been reading similar comparisons and it's scary! I don't intend on eating out everyday but damn how do you socialize when you can't even afford to go for a drink/meal with your classmates. Hey at least I would have to improve my cooking skills!

Alchyna..I dont know why everyone including myself, is going crazy about IHEID.. As far as I know, college is good but is it really comparable to LSE, NYU and Sciences Po? plz feel free to share your ideas and thoughts!!!!

My guess is cost and location location location! We see 5,000 CHF a year vs £17,000 LSE vs €13,000 a year for Sciences Po (€20,000 for my 1 yr program) and $30,000+ a year for a US program and we think oy this is a great deal!

The fact that it is in the heart of where virtually every ngo and international organization is located is an extra bonus. Since I have nothing better to do with myself but research random stuff lol I have been comparing the number of open internships/ graduate level jobs in development related UN organizations in Geneva, Paris and London. There is no comparison, Geneva has 3 times as many openings as London and Paris is last. I didn't look but I'm sure NY would have a lot too, but good luck getting a work sponsor in the US as an international.

Full scholarship as in tuition plus living expenses. This mean she gets 18000 CHF + exemption from tuition fees. She hasn't paid for anything apart from her visa, flight tickets and misc expenses on arrival.

WOW now that's a sweet deal!

My input based on current prices in Switzerland and my experience here over the past 3 years:

1) A large Big Mac set costs CHF12.90 including taxes (as of 2 Fridays ago, when I last purchased one).

2) Large kebabs are around CHF9.- on average.

3) Meals at restaurants are indeed expensive, particularly when it comes to meat or seafood products. Steaks etc can easily set you back over CHF40, but a freshly made pizza and a drink is generally below CHF25.

4) Asian food in a restaurant is generally upward of CHF17.

6) Many good deals in supermarkets. For example, you can get delicious pizzas for CHF6-CHF10 that you just need to stick in an over for 18 minutes, or half a cooked chicken for CHF6.

Edited by mych

My input based on current prices in Switzerland and my experience here over the past 3 years:

1) A large Big Mac set costs CHF12.90 including taxes (as of 2 Fridays ago, when I last purchased one).

2) Large kebabs are around CHF9.- on average.

3) Meals at restaurants are indeed expensive, particularly when it comes to meat or seafood products. Steaks etc can easily set you back over CHF40, but a freshly made pizza and a drink is generally below CHF25.

4) Asian food in a restaurant is generally upward of CHF17.

6) Many good deals in supermarkets. For example, you can get delicious pizzas for CHF6-CHF10 that you just need to stick in an over for 18 minutes, or half a cooked chicken for CHF6.

Thanks for this info!

Idk if I have asked you this question but how is Geneva for Vegetarians? Any idea?

Ok I exaggerated a bit with McDonalds, because I never ate there haha. 

What I told myself the whole time I lived there was that you were paying for the quality of life, and let me tell you it was worth it. Also I became a fantastic cook because of living there.  You just invite people over for drinks (buying in the store is very cheap actually) or go out. Just drinking out isn't bad and happy hours exist and you get to know the bartenders haha. 

Geneva for vegetarians isn't difficult at all, in fact it is wonderful. I was vegetarian the whole time I was there simply because of the price of meat, I loved it so much I am a vegetarian still. At least five of my friends there were also vegetarian and never had a problem. Theoretically you could quite cheaply live on cheese and bread (although I don't recommend it). 

The only thing I really hated was the coffee. 

Hello Cai,

Did you apply to LSE ?

Thx! The same to you!

i didn't apply for LSE. i think one year is a bit short...i'm not sure how much i can learn in such a short time.

but yes, LSE is more famous for sure. i'm also having doubts about all that rankings. in the Foreign Policy version LSE is the only one in the top 10 that is not a US school, so i guess it says sth. i'm not sure of its credibility though. what bothers me is that i cannot find IHEID in any of these rankings...sigh. 

Boy your friend was so damn right about this. I want to just stop fussing over it but I somehow can't. Let's see what tomorrow holds for all of us.

I too just keep wondering if the school is that amazing or the fact that I want to get in is making me this crazy.

Nice way to put it across. Btw which course have you applied for?

Yeah I am hoping for the similar scenario. :)

i applies for MIA.  :P so what made us want to get in so much in the first place if the school is not that amazing? tricky...

maybe what matters most is what you want to do in the future. if you want to work in IOs, IHEID is definitely the first choice, while LSE is better if you want to get into the private sector.

All right, I am betting on this one, IHEID will send out their decision tomorrow !! Even if I dont get in, at least I had few weeks to worry about....Congratulations in advance to those will get accepted...

All right, I am betting on this one, IHEID will send out their decision tomorrow !! Even if I dont get in, at least I had few weeks to worry about....Congratulations in advance to those will get accepted...

Really? the results will be released TOMORROW?

Ok I exaggerated a bit with McDonalds, because I never ate there haha. 

What I told myself the whole time I lived there was that you were paying for the quality of life, and let me tell you it was worth it. Also I became a fantastic cook because of living there.  You just invite people over for drinks (buying in the store is very cheap actually) or go out. Just drinking out isn't bad and happy hours exist and you get to know the bartenders haha. 

Geneva for vegetarians isn't difficult at all, in fact it is wonderful. I was vegetarian the whole time I was there simply because of the price of meat, I loved it so much I am a vegetarian still. At least five of my friends there were also vegetarian and never had a problem. Theoretically you could quite cheaply live on cheese and bread (although I don't recommend it). 

The only thing I really hated was the coffee.

Oh yay! Thanks for sharing this Katrun. I was pretty paranoid about food as I start puking the min I have to eat non-veg. One problem solved, few more to go. :D

Btw Katrun you have interesting choices in your bag, rather some really good schools. What is your top choice?

yeah Cai, check their website and dates !!!

Hmm... All I see is that it says between March 1 - 15.... Is there something more specific than that listed elsewhere?

http://graduateinstitute.ch/home/admissions/application.html

I think what curious grad wanted to say was that given that 1st & 2nd March was a weekend. It's quite plausible that IHEID posts their decision starting today.

Anyway sincere request guys, pls whatever your status, be it accepted, refused or wait listed. Do post it.

Tons of good luck and good wishes :)

Edited by k_angie