Thoughts on Harvard's 20 page limit

Kand

Anyone have experience with writing sample submission for Harvard? I have way more than 20 pages worth of material, but they are all in 12-15 page chunks (conference papers).

I actually have short published materials... perhaps attaching them at the end of the longest conference paper as a single document would be a good idea to hit the 20 limit (make mention of it in the title field)? I sent Harvard an e-mail asking about this, but it has been a week and I don't think I'm going to hear anything...

I'd rather the ad comm have as much of my writing available for their perusal as possible!

On the other hand, I think this would also be a nuisance; I know my professors now appreciate concise writing more than "fluff" or throwing in as many facts as possible. I would assume that "20 pages" referred to an ideal or maximum. Better to have 15 excellent pages than 20+ pretty good ones, & to spend your time refining what you think is your best piece than picking & choosing a couple or several to throw together.