Fall 2014 I/O PhD Applicants

Munashi

Congrats to you as well :)

Anyone else accept somewhere recently?

Earlier today I informed my POI  in the Ph.D program in Applied Psych (IO Specialization) at Southern Illinois Carbondale that I would be accepting my offer for admission! I was offered on 3/27 after the interview weekend, and just wanted to take a few weeks to speak with those close to me and weigh my options.

Good luck to everyone still deciding and those on wait lists. I am sure all of the pieces will start falling together in the next 8 days as more people start making decisions. Hold in there and remain positive :)!

Edited by Chops13

Earlier today I informed my POI  in the Ph.D program in Applied Psych (IO Specialization) at Southern Illinois Carbondale that I would be accepting my offer for admission! I was offered on 3/27 after the interview weekend, and just wanted to take a few weeks to speak with those close to me and weigh my options.

Good luck to everyone still deciding and those on wait lists. I am sure all of the pieces will start falling together in the next 8 days as more people start making decisions. Hold in there and remain positive :)!

Congrats Chops. Do you mind letting us know which programs you'll be declining?

As the clock winds down, I would like to state my appreciation for this forum and for what a wonderful resource it's been for me. 

This forum - and particularly this I/O sub-forum - was a life-saver for me through this process of preparing to apply, actually applying, and then the nail-biting weeks of waiting to hear back.  And I want to thank all of you for commisserating about the stress and the disappointments, sharing insights and information, and being cheerleaders at times. 

I hope to run into many of you at I/O conferences in the next few years (even if I don't know you were one of the many compatriots on this forum!) 

I'll still be checking in on here to see others' decisions, but I just felt like telling you all how much you've helped me through this process. :)  Cheers!

I just want to add a "+1" to what Bren said.  You guys have been great, and it's been awesome going through this as a group.  I wish you all very happy futures and I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point in the future.  After all, ours is a very small field!

As the clock winds down, I would like to state my appreciation for this forum and for what a wonderful resource it's been for me. 

This forum - and particularly this I/O sub-forum - was a life-saver for me through this process of preparing to apply, actually applying, and then the nail-biting weeks of waiting to hear back.  And I want to thank all of you for commisserating about the stress and the disappointments, sharing insights and information, and being cheerleaders at times. 

I hope to run into many of you at I/O conferences in the next few years (even if I don't know you were one of the many compatriots on this forum!) 

I'll still be checking in on here to see others' decisions, but I just felt like telling you all how much you've helped me through this process. :)  Cheers!

I just want to add a "+1" to what Bren said.  You guys have been great, and it's been awesome going through this as a group.  I wish you all very happy futures and I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point in the future.  After all, ours is a very small field!

I also wanted to thank you all for being so amazing and supportive here. I hope to see you all in the future at conferences and stuff.

Hey guys, I created a GradCafe Fall 2014 IO Applicant Group on Linkedin (http://www.linkedin.com/groups/TheGradCafe-Fall-2014-IO-Applicants-6670202?trk=groups_management_submission_queue-h-dsc). It would be great if we could get a some people from the board on there so we can keep in touch, network and possibly schedule a meeting at SPIOP 2015 in Philly. Hope you guys all decide to join!

http://www.linkedin.com/groups/TheGradCafe-Fall-2014-IO-Applicants-6670202?trk=groups_management_submission_queue-h-dsc

First of all, yes, I'd like to echo what has already been said about what a great and kind resource everyone on this thread has been throughout the application and decision making process. One last time, I would like to impose on all of you and ask for your advice and collective wisdom as the clock winds down and I am faced with, what is, to my mind at least, a very tough choice.

My eventual goal is to go on to get a PhD and work in an applied setting. Not having the grades to get into a top PhD program coming out of undergrad, however, I set my sights on Master's programs in the hopes of bolstering my stats and getting some applied experience before re-applying to blue chip PhDs.

My decision is between the MS at IUPUI (Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis) and an MA at George Mason.

I’m guessing that most people would say that George Mason is the obvious choice. The latest rankings of PhD programs peg GMU at 8th based on research productivity (although that ranking falls to 21st when assessed on a per capita basis), and 3rd for presence at SIOP conferences. Additionally, one of their faculty is the current President of SIOP and one of their other faculty served as President from 2007-2008. While the publication and presentation numbers are at least nominally attributed to the PhD program and not the MA, MA students share classes with PhD students for their first year and are welcome to collaborate with faculty on research—which, on the flipside, probably also boosts the school’s numbers for both publications and presentations, in that it effectively grants them a larger pool of student worker-bees to draw on. A thesis is neither required nor recommended for Master's students (including those who plan to apply to PhDs), the thought being that, the eventual goal of a thesis is to produce original work of publishable quality; a goal which can be accomplished more easily and with less red-tape by simply getting involved with faculty research teams. Not least of all, the proximity to Washington, D.C. bodes well for internship opportunities. Finally, out of the MA students who apply to PhD programs, a high percentage seem to have success applying to Mason’s PhD program, and more moderate success applying elsewhere.

Comparatively, IUPUI is a lesser known school and program. They do not offer doctoral training in I/O (as a consequence, they are omitted from most rankings of I/O programs), so the focus is on MS students. Every student is granted half tuition remission, receives an assistantship, and assisted in finding a paid internship. Only 6 students are admitted per year, which in recent years, makes for about a 7% acceptance rate. As far as I can tell, that’s as competitive as it gets at the Master’s level. Also, they have a phenomenal student/faculty ratio, with 12 students in the program at a given time for 5 full-time faculty. The faculty themselves are well-published, sharp, and extremely friendly. Unlike most Master’s programs, the focus is on research and every student is required to complete a thesis. Upon graduation, students will have completed applied projects, likely presented at conferences, and have papers published or under review. Graduates who seek a PhD are typically accepted into elite programs.

George Mason holds the advantage in prestige and reputation, but I’m not sure how much those factors matter in terms of furthering my education at the PhD level or for career opportunities down the road.

Advice or insights? I’d welcome any and all—even if they begin with: “you’re an idiot, choose  ____.” Feel free to message me privately if you’d rather not publicize your opinion.

Has anyone gotten a response back from FIU? If it's true that they aren't taking any students at all this year, wouldn't they have rejected all their applicants by now? Also judging from their website, it looks like they added a new professor to their faculty.

• 2 weeks later...

No posts since pre-April 15th!  How are you guys doing?

Did anyone get accepted from a wait list at the last minute?  For those of us moving on to programs this fall, how is the prep work going (moving, etc.)?

No posts since pre-April 15th!  How are you guys doing?

Did anyone get accepted from a wait list at the last minute?  For those of us moving on to programs this fall, how is the prep work going (moving, etc.)?

I am also interested to see if anyone got some last minute offers. Regarding prep, I contacted some professors at the Florida State College of Business, and I am going to be assigned as a Research Assistant for someone within their department over the summer. I felt that would be a great way to get some more research experience, and help me hit the ground running once I begin at SIU in fall. I applied for my housing this past week as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in my senior of college and preparing to apply to I/O programs in the Fall for programs starting in Fall 2015. I've been doing massive amounts of research on I/O schools and stumbled upon this forum. Since you all seem to have so much experience in applying, I was wondering if you could give me insight in to if I'd be a competitive applicant for PhD/Masters programs.

GPA: 3.6

Jr/Sr GPA: 3.7

Psych GPA: 3.9

GRE V: 151

GRE Q: 155     (retaking GRE in July and most likely August)

Analytical: 4

Research Experience:

- won a research poster fair through the psychology department at my college for the complexity and creativity of my design

- have participated in two I/O labs for 1 year (coding, rating, and data entry experience)

- earned a position that put me and another coordinator in charge of all the undergraduates in the research lab

- participation in an assessment center

- have worked in an office environment at a medical billing office for two years

- will have two fairly solid letters of rec from the research labs I'm working in, another from work 

Any advice/input would be incredibly helpful! Thanks!

Your research experience will help you, be sure to strongly emphasize this in your apps.

The only potential hurdle I'm seeing is your GRE scores, and you've already noted that you are re-taking the GRE soon.  Do your best to shoot for a combined score of ~320, but just do the best you can.

EDIT: I should note that your scores now are not terrible by any stretch, it would just make your app a little stronger to get the scores up a couple of points.  Good luck with your re-take!

Edited by Munashi

Any interest in starting a Fall 2015 thread? I'll be applying to 6-8 I/O programs and would love to have some folks to talk with :) 

Texassooner, I agree with Munashi about the research experience! I'm doing a similar thing, and, at my grad student friend's recommendation, have started a list with all of the things I have been doing and (most importantly) what I am learning. did I work with a new scale or software? did I work with a new population? Did I contribute something to the protocol in lab meeting? did I edit the IRB proposal or grant? It should help with preparing your recommenders for their LORs and you for writing your SOP. 

Good luck! 

ETA, while I'm here, I read people referring to "recent" rankings for I/O psych programs, and I am totally missing them if they are online. Everything I found from SOIP is around 10 years old. Did anyone have a satisfactory way to find a list of the, say, first and second tier programs to start with? 

Edited by kaswing

Munashi, thank you so much for the advice. I was really bummed when I got my scores back because I thought it would completely eliminate my chances for getting into a PhD or Masters programs, but your input really helped, thanks!

Kaswing, thank you for your advice as well! I'm definitely going to emphasize my research experience, especially since it seems to be my strongest point right now. I would also love to be part of a thread for Fall 2015 applicants. Let me know if you create one. Thanks!

Any interest in starting a Fall 2015 thread? I'll be applying to 6-8 I/O programs and would love to have some folks to talk with :) 

Texassooner, I agree with Munashi about the research experience! I'm doing a similar thing, and, at my grad student friend's recommendation, have started a list with all of the things I have been doing and (most importantly) what I am learning. did I work with a new scale or software? did I work with a new population? Did I contribute something to the protocol in lab meeting? did I edit the IRB proposal or grant? It should help with preparing your recommenders for their LORs and you for writing your SOP. 

Good luck! 

ETA, while I'm here, I read people referring to "recent" rankings for I/O psych programs, and I am totally missing them if they are online. Everything I found from SOIP is around 10 years old. Did anyone have a satisfactory way to find a list of the, say, first and second tier programs to start with? 

TO reply to myself, I found this on /r/IOpsychology-- Haven't checked it out, but it sounds helpful! http://www.siop.org/tip/jan14/513tip/513/

TO reply to myself, I found this on /r/IOpsychology-- Haven't checked it out, but it sounds helpful! http://www.siop.org/tip/jan14/513tip/513/

I was just about to link you to that article - it's the most recent thing that I'm aware of.  Glad you found it already.

(Feel free to start up a 2015 thread, guys.  It can't hurt and it makes it easier to find your peers.)

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in my senior of college and preparing to apply to I/O programs in the Fall for programs starting in Fall 2015. I've been doing massive amounts of research on I/O schools and stumbled upon this forum. Since you all seem to have so much experience in applying, I was wondering if you could give me insight in to if I'd be a competitive applicant for PhD/Masters programs.

GPA: 3.6

Jr/Sr GPA: 3.7

Psych GPA: 3.9

GRE V: 151

GRE Q: 155     (retaking GRE in July and most likely August)

Analytical: 4

Research Experience:

- won a research poster fair through the psychology department at my college for the complexity and creativity of my design

- have participated in two I/O labs for 1 year (coding, rating, and data entry experience)

- earned a position that put me and another coordinator in charge of all the undergraduates in the research lab

- participation in an assessment center

- have worked in an office environment at a medical billing office for two years

- will have two fairly solid letters of rec from the research labs I'm working in, another from work 

Any advice/input would be incredibly helpful! Thanks!

IOgrad, while I do definitely agree with Munashi, that it would give you many more options if you retake the test and do well. However, I do believe that your body of work could get you some looks at a few programs due to your other experiences (again it is great you are taking it again though, that will give you many more options). My FINAL GRE scores were similar to yours, and I ended up getting offered by 4 solid masters programs, wait-listed for 3 Ph.D programs, and jumped on a first round offer after interview weekend from a (4th) Ph.D program. Now there were a few top tiered programs that I did not make first cut on due to my grades, but if you can bump your scores a little you will definitely get some looks. 

Either way, the best advice I can give you would be write a solid personal statement, have clearly defined research interests, and hedge your bets. If you are coming straight out of undergrad, and are not willing to wait another year, I would recommend applying to around 4 masters programs and maybe 6-8 doctoral programs. You want to apply to a few top tier dream schools, some mid-levels, and a few mid-lower tiered programs (ones that you feel are a good culture/research fit, and you would be willing to help develop). If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Edited by Chops13