Fall 2014 I/O PhD Applicants

Munashi

Has anyone heard from Old Dominion's I/O program? I interviewed there at the end of February and we were supposed to hear decisions by Monday.

Offered a fellowship with Old Dominion' human factors program, but I think I'm going to accept UMSL's offer to their I/O program instead, even though the funding is slightly less.

Either today or tomorrow, I'm letting go of my offers at Auburn and Florida Tech. That should free up more funds for the people heading towards Florida, since I know they're offering partial tuition remission this year.

Question for UCF people. What kind of funding were you offered there? I'm still on the waitlist, and I'd like to go if I get an offer since it's closer to my home, but I don't want to hold out if the funding isn't pretty solid. There just isn't a lot of information about the amount of funding they typically offer on the website. Thanks guys!

You would love UMSL! I've visited their campus before and it's gorgeous! People there are very nice as well.

Offered a fellowship with Old Dominion' human factors program, but I think I'm going to accept UMSL's offer to their I/O program instead, even though the funding is slightly less.

Either today or tomorrow, I'm letting go of my offers at Auburn and Florida Tech. That should free up more funds for the people heading towards Florida, since I know they're offering partial tuition remission this year.

Question for UCF people. What kind of funding were you offered there? I'm still on the waitlist, and I'd like to go if I get an offer since it's closer to my home, but I don't want to hold out if the funding isn't pretty solid. There just isn't a lot of information about the amount of funding they typically offer on the website. Thanks guys!

When I was there it was 5k/semester with an opportunity for an additional 3.5k during the summer, you weren't guaranteed the summer, but you usually got it if you asked. Ta ship unless you work for Dr. Salas and in that case it is an RAship and you automatically have summer funding and I think they made more than the 5k/semester, probably closer to 15-20k for the year if you worked for Ed.

Same as you~

For those who did not see the status update on Virginia Tech's banner site, you may be on the wait list. I checked with the department and they told me I'm on the wait list. They've extended offers but the candidates haven't made their decisions yet.

Let's wait and keep our fingers crossed! :)

The funding isn't bad at UCF. I believe they offer roughly $10,000 for nine months, cover most if not all of health care, and have plenty of opportunities for summer funding though TA positions (if available), internships in Orlando (which there are a ton of), or research funding through your advisor. But keep in mind that there is no state income tax in Florida, and housing is relatively cheap, so you may get more out of that money than in other places. 

I probably wouldn't get your hopes up about getting an offer off the waitlist. There was one student here on Gradcafe who got one off the waitlist, but I was told by the program director that they accepted 12 people with the expectation of 6 taking the offer. I imagine they easily fill those six spots with 12 offers and one or two off the waitlist. But I hope I'm wrong! Good luck!

Edited by tanneraustin

For those who did not see the status update on Virginia Tech's banner site, you may be on the wait list. I checked with the department and they told me I'm on the wait list. They've extended offers but the candidates haven't made their decisions yet.

Have you been interviewed?

It's probably best not to keep your hopes too high. I'm a student there, and they brought in 8 students for interviews and gave offers to (I believe) 4. If any of those 4 don't accept, it is likely they will extend offers to one or more of the remaining 4. Though I can't say it's not possible that they were unimpressed with those extra 4 and extend offers to people who didn't visit. 

Edited by tanneraustin

It's probably best not to keep your hopes too high. I'm a student there, and they brought in 8 students for interviews and gave offers to (I believe) 4. If any of those 4 don't accept, it is likely they will extend offers to one or more of the remaining 4. Though I can't say it's not possible that they were unimpressed with those extra 4 and extend offers to people who didn't visit. 

I had hope until you wrote this lol

I am more than broken hearted ... :'( 

Paying for 5 years of expenses can be a lot. I personally would not attend a PhD program without full funding. Depending on where you are living you are looking at 30-40k a year *5 is 150-200k in expenses for a PhD.

What is your goal? Applied or Academic?

An MS can be just as valuable if your goal is applied. I work on a team of 5. My VP is an MS, my Director is an MS and my two peers are MSs, I am the only PhD.

An MS would be an option as well but I had my heart set on PHD and an academic path.

I appreciate the offers I've gotten but it seems a little unrealistic for them to assume that I can pay the 150-200+ thousand in tuition and living expenses. Even with some combination of scholarships and assitantships, I would still need loans.

An MS would be an option as well but I had my heart set on PHD and an academic path.

I appreciate the offers I've gotten but it seems a little unrealistic for them to assume that I can pay the 150-200+ thousand in tuition and living expenses. Even with some combination of scholarships and assitantships, I would still need loans.

You can always go MS and then apply to fully funded PhD programs after you finish the MS. You typically only get to transfer about 1 semester of credits into the PhD, but at least you will be funded for the last 4-4.5 years and you may decide an MS is enough after you complete it. 

You can always go MS and then apply to fully funded PhD programs after you finish the MS. You typically only get to transfer about 1 semester of credits into the PhD, but at least you will be funded for the last 4-4.5 years and you may decide an MS is enough after you complete it.

Thanks for the advice! I am no where close to making a decision yet but that may be path I go down

I will be applying for the 2015 cycle and this thread has brought me some comfort and some concern. It seems like things can really be hit and miss when it comes to GPA/GRE. Even if you think you're a shoe-in based on those stats, you may not be considering research experience, fit with faculty, and other factors. A lot of the same schools I'm looking at have been mentioned in this thread. I'll be applying to 10-12 programs, mostly I/O but a few HF so we will see how it pans out.

I will be applying for the 2015 cycle and this thread has brought me some comfort and some concern. It seems like things can really be hit and miss when it comes to GPA/GRE. Even if you think you're a shoe-in based on those stats, you may not be considering research experience, fit with faculty, and other factors. A lot of the same schools I'm looking at have been mentioned in this thread. I'll be applying to 10-12 programs, mostly I/O but a few HF so we will see how it pans out.

It really does seem like a crap shoot sometimes.  You never know how it will turn out.  That's one of the things that makes applying so interesting (and agonizing).

It's probably not as random as it feels, but yes, I was surprised by results.  It's hard to know what the programs who accepted me saw in me, versus what the programs who waitlisted or rejected me didn't see in me. 

I do wonder if programs strategically make offers.  That is, offering to students they think will likely accept versus students who may have picked their program as a "safety".  If I put myself in programs' shoes, I would have to put more weight on the Statement of Purpose to gauge how sincere an applicant's interest is, regardless of their qualifications (given they meet minimum qualification standards.)  Every student a program offers admission who doesn't accept that offer essentially doubles the work of filling that spot.  And I'm sure programs want to fill every spot they can fund.  If they make offers to students who will likely get better offers, they may be wasting their energy.  But that's all just speculation on my part.

I applied to a range of programs, from those at the top of most published rankings (take that for what it's worth), to those whose posted qualifications I easily exceeded.  I got accepted to one on each extreme and everything in the middle is up in the air (waitlisted or waiting to hear - one rejection so far.) 

The other factor that is just impossible to predict is the pool of other applicants who are applying to the same program.  This factor, coupled with program concerns about fit and likelihood of an applicant accepting their offer, are probably the determinants that make it feel -- from our end -- like a crap shoot.

Am I overthinking this?  :P

Edited by Bren2014

I do wonder if programs strategically make offers.  That is, offering to students they think will likely accept versus students who may have picked their program as a "safety".  If I put myself in programs' shoes, I would have to put more weight on the Statement of Purpose to gauge how sincere an applicant's interest is, regardless of their qualifications (given they meet minimum qualification standards.)  Every student a program offers admission who doesn't accept that offer essentially doubles the work of filling that spot.  And I'm sure programs want to fill every spot they can fund.  If they make offers to students who will likely get better offers, they may be wasting their energy.  But that's all just speculation on my part.

I've pondered this myself and I do occasionally wonder how big of a factor it is.  I am sure they have methods in place to select candidates at a nice intersection of "awesome candidate" and "likely to accept".

Can't believe I'm just discovering this website now. Feel like I missed the boat. I would appreciate your opinions on my situation.

Okay and here's my info:

GPA - 3.91

GRE - V(157) Q(158) Writing(5.5)

Experience - 6 semesters of research experience in psychology labs, 2 of which as lab manager

Presented research at AP-LS conference (sort of like an unofficial non-honors thesis)

I applied to 11 PhD programs:

Cornell - rejected

UNC Charlotte (Organizational Science)- shortlist; was supposed to interview - flight got cancelled (never use American Airlines) - trying to figure out an alternative

DePaul - rejected

Illinois Tech - accepted

Virginia Tech - rejected

George Mason - accepted

Clemson - haven't heard (emailed POI - on shortlist)

NC State - haven't heard (emailed POI - on shortlist)

Georgia Tech - haven't heard

NYU (social psych) - haven't heard

George Washington - haven't heard (emailed POI - on shortlist)

It seems like everyone has heard back from the five schools that I haven't yet. Should I be worried? Is Illinois Tech a decent program? Starting to feel a little discouraged - could really use some insight

Edited by dannydevitofan

Can't believe I'm just discovering this website now. Feel like I missed the boat. I would appreciate your opinions on my situation.

Okay and here's my info:

GPA - 3.91

Experience - 6 semesters of research experience in psychology labs, 2 of which as lab manager

Presented research at SIOP conference (sort of like an unofficial non-honors thesis)

Cornell - rejected

UNC Charlotte (Organizational Science)- shortlist; was supposed to interview - flight got cancelled (never use American Airlines) - trying to figure out an alternative

DePaul - rejected

Illinois Tech - accepted

Virginia Tech - rejected

George Mason - accepted

It seems like everyone has heard back from the five schools that I haven't yet. Should I be worried? Is Illinois Tech a decent program? Starting to feel a little discouraged - could really use some insight

Welcome, Dannydevitofan!

I did not apply to George Mason or Illinois Institute of Technology, but when I was looking into programs, I got the impression that George Mason is a very good program.  The current issue of TIP (a publication put out by SIOP), George Mason has very good rankings as far as publications in top journals.  IIT, not so much. 

I was also wondering about funding from IIT.  They are vague about that in their listing on the SIOP graduate programs listing.  It looks like the funding for George Mason is pretty substantial.

Just some observations.  Have you asked your adviser at your current school about IIT?

Best of luck to you!  I also am still waiting to hear from a couple of programs.

Okay and here's my info:

GPA - 3.91

Presented research at SIOP conference (sort of like an unofficial non-honors thesis)

Cornell - rejected

DePaul - rejected

Illinois Tech - accepted

Virginia Tech - rejected

George Mason - accepted

George Mason is an excellent program, even better if you want to go applied. They have tons of connections in the DC area where a lot of consulting is. I haven't heard a ton about Ill.Tech but a professor I talked to when I was going through the app process who graduated from UIC had said they tend to take a weed out mentality in that program where they accept 12-15 PhD students and let them fend for themselves to make it through from a research and advisor perspective. Now I can't confirm that, but that is what he had told me. 

I go to LSU for undergrad and their advisors only help with undergrad issues - nobody would talk to me about pursuing a PhD somewhere else (budget cuts?)...it was bizarre 

I could get probably ~15,000 for IIT (which still leaves a huge chunk to pay out of pocket). To be honest, I'm a little disappointed in my results thus far. I applied to 11 schools thinking that it would give me options, but it doesn't really look like that's going to be the case. 

Not sure what to think about the 5 I haven't heard from yet. 

If anyone is here is/was a Greek in undergrad, doesn't this feel like sorority rush all over again? 

Haven't heard from Georgia tech or GWU yet either. Also, IIT at least what they told me, was that they do not fund students. There may be some partial tuition waiver for the firsts year and MAYBE positions for TA or RA, for which you MAYBE might get a stipend. They seem to be very vague about how much, and also that IT IS competitive so no guarantee of getting those positions in the first place.

GMU was my top school but got rejected from it. You should definitely go to GMU, good stipend and assistantships from what I've heard.

I could get probably ~15,000 for IIT (which still leaves a huge chunk to pay out of pocket). To be honest, I'm a little disappointed in my results thus far. I applied to 11 schools thinking that it would give me options, but it doesn't really look like that's going to be the case. 

Try not to be disappointed!  You have a couple of acceptances, which is awesome!  And as others have said, GMU is a highly ranked program in this field.  I think you should be proud.  Congratulations!