Fall 2014 I/O PhD Applicants

Munashi

Apologies if this thread already exists, but I didn't see one, so I thought I'd ask - who else is applying for I/O PhD programs this fall?

I want to know who I can commiserate with and cheer for. :-P  Best of luck to everyone.

Hi Munashi!

I'm applying to 11 PhD programs and two master's programs.  I really want a research career, so hopefully I'll get in to a doctoral program. 

I've got all my GRE scores and transcripts sent, my letter writers have been given their info packets, and I'm finishing up my SOPs.  Should be done with SOPs this weekend.  Then once all my LORs are in, I'm done!  Unless of course there are any snafu's with schools not getting transcripts, etc.

I hope all goes smoothly with those things I can't control!

How about you? 

In the same boat!  Everything is sent, wrapping up the customization of SOPs, and being paranoid about getting my rec letters in.  Like you said - I hate that last part because I feel like it is outside of my control.  Oy..

But hey - glad to see someone else shooting for the same things. :)  Best of luck.  I'm hitting 8 PhDs and 1 M.S. program myself.

Edited by Munashi

I'm reluctant to post where I am actually applying.  I'm not sure why!  I think I will post the outcomes for everything once I figure out if I was accepted anywhere.  Bah.. it's going to be an anxious couple of months, friends.

Oh, and thank you for the well wishes paiged2!

Edited by Munashi

Applying to 9 PhD programs. Maybe I'll add a Masters, but that one's due in February, so I'm gonna think about it some more. 

I sent most of my transcripts and GRE scores... I might wait until my next paycheck to send out the ones for the schools with deadlines in January! CV is done.

I'm applying to the NSF fellowship, so most of my time these last few weeks has gone into that. But at least I now have two personal statement drafts I can work off of when creating all the others. I also need to edit my thesis so I can submit it as a writing sample. But I went through all the applications, uploaded unofficial transcripts when I could, and noted all the weird and dissimilar requirements... 

How early are y'all sending out your applications? Ideally I'd send mine out soon, but my schedule is kinda crazy for November, so probably not.

I've started the online application process at all of the schools to which I'm applying--it's just a matter of getting everything in the system before "submitting" it! I sent my GRE scores and transcripts to all of the schools and I've finished any of the program-specific requirements (e.g., University of Minnesota asks for a "course abstract"). Basically, I'm just waiting for some feedback on my personal statement and then it's up to my letter writers. I really hope to have everything on my end done by the start of next week. 

Good luck, everyone. 

So...this will be my second time applying. My GRE scores weren't great last year, but I got them up and am reapplying this year.

Background:

Graduated from Michigan State, 2012

Research Assistant, MSU I/O Department

• RA for Dr. Ann Marie Ryan (3 years)
  • Conducted 3 studies of my own
  • APS presentation (2012)
  • SIOP presentation (2013)
  • Manuscript in preparation

Currently working in R&D, Denison Consulting

• Manuscript submitted (R&R), Sex Roles
  • Two manuscripts in preparation

Research Assistant, Wayne State I/O Department

• RA for Dr. Alyssa McGonagle
  • Manuscript in preparation
  • RA for Dr. Lisa Marchiondo

Ph.D. Programs I am applying to (no particular order/this may change):

1. Wayne State
  2. Akron
  3. George Mason
  4. DePaul
  5. Central Michigan
  6. Wright State
  7. Maryland
  8. Georgia
  9. Roosevelt
  10. Colorado State
  11. Old Dominion
  12. Florida Tech
  13. Central Florida

Master's Programs I am applying to:

1. Wayne State
  2. Akron
  3. George Mason

Good luck everyone!

Hi guys, new to this forum and will be applying for I/O Ph.D. and Master programs for fall 2014! Originally though I'd have a good chance with most of the schools I'm applying for but after looking through last years I/O Ph.D. Application thread, I'm definitely not as confident anymore, especially when competing up against people with +3.8 GPA's and +320 GRE scores, hopefully my research and work experience will make up for the less than amazing scores. 

Schools I'm applying to are:

Depaul

Wayne

Akron

Virgina Tech

FIU

Albany

Penn State (Long shot)

SDSU (Masters)

Graduated from University of California, Santa Barbara with a B.A. in Psychology

Overall GPA: 3.46
Psych GPA: 3.53
GRE 158V 155Q and 3.5AWA

Research Experience: 1 year (3 quarters) working as a research assistant in an applied research lab, and volunteered in a program that taught grade schoolers about mental health disorders in various schools in my area.

Work Experience: I've worked various jobs throughout my time in college, ranging from retail, to food and hospitality. Simultaneously balancing workload between school, and work will hopefully make up for my less than stellar GPA.

Edited by phatlilpanda

Hi guys, new to this forum and will be applying for I/O Ph.D. and Master programs for fall 2014! Originally though I'd have a good chance with most of the schools I'm applying for but after looking through last years I/O Ph.D. Application thread, I'm definitely not as confident anymore, especially when competing up against people with +3.8 GPA's and +320 GRE scores, hopefully my research and work experience will make up for the less than amazing scores. 

Don't let things like that intimidate you. A lot of programs (like mine) look for people who fit their baseline criteria in terms of GRE scores and GPA, and then beyond that look at research interests and fit. My overall from undergrad was like a 3.65 and I ended up in Happy Valley. (I took my GREs when the scoring was different, so I have no way of comparing).  At this point we make basically all of the final decisions based on P-O and then P-R (person-research) fit. (Hooray new construct!)

Keep a positive attitude! I know it's a trying time, but you'll make it through.

Okay, I guess it's time to post the list. 

PhD programs I'm applying to (in no particular order):

Michigan State

Penn State

Colorado State

Rice

University of Houston

Wright State

Central Michigan

University of Minnesota

Virginia Tech

North Carolina State

University of Akron

Master's programs:

Middle Tennessee State University

Minnesota State University

Good luck to everyone!!!  I hope we can all have a relaxing and enjoyable holiday season/winter break until the decisions start rolling in.

Edited by Bren2014

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, everyone! This is my first time posting on the site, but I've been creeping on past applicant threads for the past six months or so, gathering intel on what applications are like. I've finally narrowed down my list of schools I'm applying to and begun my applications, and I just wanted to share since I found everyone else's information very helpful in past threads. The list is as follows:

PhD

University of Georgia

Georgia Tech

Penn State

University of Central Florida

Florida Institute of Technology

George Washington University

Saint Louis University

Old Dominion

University of Missouri Saint Louis

Auburn

MA/MS

UNC Charlotte

Clemson

My undergraduate GPA: 3.6

Jr/Sr GPA: 3.75

Psych GPA: 3.8, I believe

GRE: Verbal 162, Quant 156, Analytical 5.0. Psychology GRE (for Georgia Tech only) was a 710.

I wish I'd done a little (a lot  cough cough) better on the quantitative section of the GRE. My practice scores on quant were consistently around 158-159, but when I got to the exam, I ran out of time on both sections. I was also practice testing in the 780-790 range for the psychology GRE, but got there and the material was completely different than what was covered in any of the practice books I studied or learned in any class. I was shooting for the 730 range, but fell just shy of that. 

I have 3 semesters of research experience on projects of my own design, including one that resulted in a 55 page thesis-style paper (for my undergraduate capstone course), and volunteer experience working on the projects of two graduate students. I've worked in a counseling center all four years of college, mostly doing secretarial work with a clinical internship and some other odd jobs peppered in there, and worked there as my primary job since I finished up all my classes and graduated in July.

Anybody have any ideas what kind of chances I might have? Thanks guys! Good luck on your applications!   :)  I know this stuff is crazy stressful, but I'm sure we'll all make it somewhere! Fingers crossed!

Hi, everyone! This is my first time posting on the site, but I've been creeping on past applicant threads for the past six months or so, gathering intel on what applications are like. I've finally narrowed down my list of schools I'm applying to and begun my applications, and I just wanted to share since I found everyone else's information very helpful in past threads. The list is as follows:

PhD

University of Georgia

Georgia Tech

Penn State

University of Central Florida

Florida Institute of Technology

George Washington University

Saint Louis University

Old Dominion

University of Missouri Saint Louis

Auburn

MA/MS

UNC Charlotte

Clemson

My undergraduate GPA: 3.6

Jr/Sr GPA: 3.75

Psych GPA: 3.8, I believe

GRE: Verbal 162, Quant 156, Analytical 5.0. Psychology GRE (for Georgia Tech only) was a 710.

I wish I'd done a little (a lot  cough cough) better on the quantitative section of the GRE. My practice scores on quant were consistently around 158-159, but when I got to the exam, I ran out of time on both sections. I was also practice testing in the 780-790 range for the psychology GRE, but got there and the material was completely different than what was covered in any of the practice books I studied or learned in any class. I was shooting for the 730 range, but fell just shy of that. 

I have 3 semesters of research experience on projects of my own design, including one that resulted in a 55 page thesis-style paper (for my undergraduate capstone course), and volunteer experience working on the projects of two graduate students. I've worked in a counseling center all four years of college, mostly doing secretarial work with a clinical internship and some other odd jobs peppered in there, and worked there as my primary job since I finished up all my classes and graduated in July.

Anybody have any ideas what kind of chances I might have? Thanks guys! Good luck on your applications!   :)  I know this stuff is crazy stressful, but I'm sure we'll all make it somewhere! Fingers crossed!

I would say you have a great shot at most of those schools based on GPA and GRE alone. Before the GRE switched over, many Ph.D. programs were looking for a minimum of 1200 - you have ~1350. Also, as I understand it, most schools just use the GRE as a filter, as it is often a better measure than GPA. If there are three applicants that have 4.0's, one from Harvard, one from a run of the mill school, and one from an unknown school, it's hard to weigh those GPAs. The fact that you have research experience and conducted your own study is a major bonus. Do you have any publications or presentation experience? All in all, I would say you would make a pretty good candidate.

Just throwing this out there -- I am a really active undergraduate student from the University of Akron and I know many of the faculty and graduate students in our I/O program really well. If anyone has any questions about people, research activity, life in Akron, etc, feel free to message me! 

Best of luck to all the I/O applicants!

Finished applying to:

UMinn

Penn State

Michigan State

UIUC

Tulsa

George Mason

DePaul

USF

Rice

I might cave and apply to a Master's, but two of my recommenders kind of didn't want me to... And I'm already having a hard enough time getting my procrastinating professors to send out their recommendation letters on time! Well, those deadlines are in February/March anyway; so I'll think about it. I'm just glad to be (kind of) done! Good luck, everyone.

Finished applying to:

UMinn

Penn State

Michigan State

UIUC

Tulsa

George Mason

DePaul

USF

Rice

I might cave and apply to a Master's, but two of my recommenders kind of didn't want me to... And I'm already having a hard enough time getting my procrastinating professors to send out their recommendation letters on time! Well, those deadlines are in February/March anyway; so I'll think about it. I'm just glad to be (kind of) done! Good luck, everyone.

Good luck with those! I know many of the faculty at MSU - if you have any questions. I'm having the same issue as you with letters. One of my profs is already 10 days late and I've reminded him 4 times since it was due. REALLY freaking out on those two.

I would say you have a great shot at most of those schools based on GPA and GRE alone. Before the GRE switched over, many Ph.D. programs were looking for a minimum of 1200 - you have ~1350. Also, as I understand it, most schools just use the GRE as a filter, as it is often a better measure than GPA. If there are three applicants that have 4.0's, one from Harvard, one from a run of the mill school, and one from an unknown school, it's hard to weigh those GPAs. The fact that you have research experience and conducted your own study is a major bonus. Do you have any publications or presentation experience? All in all, I would say you would make a pretty good candidate.

I don't actually have any publications of my own, but I am supposed to go with one of the graduate students I'm working with to his poster presentation at some point within the coming months. His research is actually an expansion of my own that I was doing for my capstone project. My professor and I were examining state psychopathy as a potential psychological construct, and found some evidence that it both existed as a separate construct from trait psychopathy and could be lowered with secure attachment priming! The student I'm working with is testing a refined version of the experiment in a criminal population this go-around. It's pretty fascinating to me but totally unrelated to I/O, haha.

Thanks a ton for your response though! This is the first opportunity I've gotten to get feedback from anyone that really know about what I/O programs are looking for and is familiar with GRE requirements and such.

You're probably some of my stiffest competition out there, I'm sure, so good luck to us both! :) I'll definitely want a running list of your acceptances, since I've applied to many of the same places.

Edited by iopsychohmygerd

Good luck with those! I know many of the faculty at MSU - if you have any questions. I'm having the same issue as you with letters. One of my profs is already 10 days late and I've reminded him 4 times since it was due. REALLY freaking out on those two.

You should call him if you can't see him in person. I did that once when a professor wouldn't respond to my emails. I don't think she liked that, but what can you do? 

I actually asked Dr. Ryan if she was accepting grad students, and she said she probably wouldn't be in 2014. I'm most interested in working with someone new to MSU though.

You should call him if you can't see him in person. I did that once when a professor wouldn't respond to my emails. I don't think she liked that, but what can you do? 

I actually asked Dr. Ryan if she was accepting grad students, and she said she probably wouldn't be in 2014. I'm most interested in working with someone new to MSU though.

Maziana, that's good to know about Dr. Ryan.  I had emailed her months ago asking if she'd be taking students and never heard back.  But there is another professor I am also very excited about at MSU, so I didn't worry too much about it.  I knew I would be applying there anyway.

Sorry to hear about your trouble with your LORs, Roebuck.  That would be very frustrating and anxiety provoking!   

I guess I might be the lucky one... all my professors sent all their LOR's a few weeks ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am applying to 10 doctoral programs, and 3 masters programs. I have a 3.65 gpa with GRE Quant 153/Verbal 154, 4.0 Analytical. I am really hoping I get into one of the doctoral programs, but I know my GRE scores are pretty average, but I think I have a well rounded CV and good personal statement.  I am hoping. If anyone that has been through the process, please let me know your thoughts! 

PHD- University of Georgia, Wayne State, NC State, Florida International, Tulsa, Oklahoma, Wright State, UMissouri St. Louis, Southern Illinois Carbondale, Louisiana Tech

Masters- Central Florida, Appalachian State, West Florida

Edited by Jcpalmer