Fall 2014 I/O PhD Applicants

Munashi

I'm new to the thread as I just found out about this AWESOME website. Pretty glad I wasn't on here while applying though, or my confidence definitely would have dropped. Many of you seem like you have EVERYTHING going for you, there's definitely some tough competition this year. I applied to 6 programs (5 PhD and 1 masters) and I think I'm going crazy waiting to hear back.

Munashi (thanks for starting this thread by the way),

I see you have 3 interviews so far, mind telling us where? I'm dying to find out if any of my programs have started making calls yet!

Updated list of programs I've applied to:

I/O psychology Ph.D. programs:

UGA

Georgia Tech (discussing status with POI)

UCF

FIT

UMSL

SLU

Auburn

Clemson

Penn State (assuming rejected)

Human factors psychology programs:

Old Dominion (interview + visit)

UCF

Clemson

So far, I've interviewed with Old Dominion, and will be visiting the school in February.

I also received notice from my POI at Tech that he just found out he cannot fund a student this year, but indicated that he had been strongly considering me. He mentioned that two of my other POI's at Tech were still taking students, and he'd personally advocate for me to be selected, but that there were a few other strong candidates in consideration as well. It's really exciting, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I honestly thought I had no chance of getting into Tech, so it just goes to show that it's worth it to apply to your dream school even if it seems like a long shot! I'm thrilled just to find out I was good enough, even if I don't get in for funding reasons.

I didn't get a call from Penn State, but I'm not really disappointed, since it's pretty far from where I live now. I'm glad several others have heard back though! Good luck everyone.

Also, welcome to all the new people joining the forum!

University of Illinois Urbana and Maryland are finally looking at their applications for I/O! I'm assuming we're gonna hear back by next week! 

Who were your POIs for Maryland, Qwerty?

WOOHOO! got into University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign!!! cant believe it!

Got an email from UIUC as well requesting official transcript.

Edit: Just received an offer of admission :D

Congratulations, Qwerty and Mr. Bugle!  That's awesome!

Hi all!

Good luck to everyone applying! You all sound like you have great things going for you!

My journey to I/O Psychology is a little roundabout. I received 2 bachelor degrees -- one in music and one in psychology with a concentration in behavioral neuroscience. I really wanted to pursue a career in the performing arts, so I went on to get a master's degree in music. To support myself, I got a job at a small regional firm at which I'm currently directing operations. Through my experiences there, I became really interested in i/o psychology. I'm excited about a change in career path and I'm really excited to by applying to PhD programs! Does anyone have any advice for a non-traditional student applying to schools? Any idea what my chances might be?

My undergraduate GPA was a 3.88,

Psych GPA was a 3.92

Master's (in music) GPA: 3.97

2 Years of research experience, 3 semesters of which were spent on an honors thesis.

GRE Q: 155, V: 161, AW: 5.5

Congratulations to all who are hearing back!

Edited by abbyf

Hi all!

Good luck to everyone applying! You all sound like you have great things going for you!

My journey to I/O Psychology is a little roundabout. I received 2 bachelor degrees -- one in music and one in psychology with a concentration in behavioral neuroscience. I really wanted to pursue a career in the performing arts, so I went on to get a master's degree in music. To support myself, I got a job at a small regional firm at which I'm currently directing operations. Through my experiences there, I became really interested in i/o psychology. I'm excited about a change in career path and I'm really excited to by applying to PhD programs! Does anyone have any advice for a non-traditional student applying to schools? Any idea what my chances might be?

My undergraduate GPA was a 3.88,

Psych GPA was a 3.92

Master's (in music) GPA: 3.97

2 Years of research experience, 3 semesters of which were spent on an honors thesis.

GRE Q: 155, V: 161, AW: 5.5

Congratulations to all who are hearing back!

non trads are no different from trads. what's gonna get you far is your behavioral neuroscience. if you talk that up you'll get into tons of programs. they love science and math so if that's what you love you'll go very far. also, get research experience and try and publish, of course. Also, go ahead and figure out who you'd like to work under now so you can taylor your activities and essays to them. if you need more advice PM me i've researched this to no end. 

Thanks, Bugle and Qwerty! and congratulations on your acceptances to Illinois! I went there undergrad. It's been a few years since I've been down there, but let me know if you have any questions about living down in Urbana/Champaign.

I've yet to hear back from anywhere....but I suppose there's still plenty of time left.

Good luck all!

:)

Yes, there is still plenty of time left, depending on where you applied. (Some schools have made decisions already.)  You can check the Results board (up at the top, "Results Search") to see when the schools you applied to notified students last year.

To whoever posted in the Results board you were contacted for an interview by your POI at Virginia Tech, can you tell me who your POI was?  Thanks!  (Could message me if you don't want to post it here.)

Edited by Bren2014

Yes, there is still plenty of time left, depending on where you applied. (Some schools have made decisions already.)  You can check the Results board (up at the top, "Results Search") to see when the schools you applied to notified students last year.

Thanks, Bren!

Edited by abbyf

Hi everyone I am new here :ph34r:.

Has anyone heard from George Mason?

One of my friend told me that they have made decisions on January 27th. But I have not seen any offer posts. Just want to make sure if they have already "sent out" offers. :ph34r:

I see someone posted something from Virginia Tech on the results board. Anyone know any details about it?

I'm wondering the same thing.  I haven't heard anything from them yet.  I'm wondering if it's only  a particular POI.  I don't see anything on the Results board from last year about VT interviews, phone or otherwise.

Edited by Bren2014

I'm wondering the same thing.  I haven't heard anything from them yet.  I'm wondering if it's only  a particular POI.  I don't see anything on the Results board from last year about VT interviews, phone or otherwise.

I thought that was strange too. My status online is still "Acknowledged" so I guess no official bad news yet...

I thought that was strange too. My status online is still "Acknowledged" so I guess no official bad news yet...

Have you checked the Guest Banner website? That might have more details than the application page. 

Just received the email that I've been waitlisted at the University of Central Florida!

If anyone receives an offer, please keep me updated as to whether or not you accept it.

Thanks guys! Also, congratulations to everyone who's getting into top schools like UIUC. With a 3.6 GPA, I didn't even dare apply, haha. You guys certainly earned it!

Has anyone heard from Clemson, UGA, or FIT?

Hey,

I'm currently a first year in I/O at UGA. All of the professors here admit their students at their own time, so don't worry if you haven't heard anything. If I remember correctly I heard mid-february last year via phone call that I was accepted, and set up a visit the following weekend, which was when I immediately knew UGA was the school for me!

Let me know if I can answer any of your questions about UGA! :)