Fall 2014 I/O PhD Applicants

Munashi

Hey guys!

I'm applying to almost all I/O Psych programs and two Organizational behavior programs too. 

stats: 1420 GRE (125 on the new system), 4.0 GPA, 3 years of research experience, n (i'm hoping) good LORs lol. 

I have heard back from Purdue. But that's the only one. Has anyone else heard back from the following schools??

Kellogg (OB) , Maryland, Columbia (OB), University of Illinois, Columbia (IO), Rice, George Mason, University of South Florida, DePaul, San Diego State (Masters), Illinois State (Masters). 

May I ask who your POI was at Purdue?

(And congrats!  I haven't heard back from anywhere yet.  Though I ended up not applying to Purdue.)

Edited by Bren2014

Apologies if this is inappropriate, but if any of you are already hearing back from programs, please submit your results/feedback to the results section!

And congrats on being accepted to Purdue, Qwery101 - that's really excellent!

I've heard back from the University of New Haven for an I/O masters. It's my backup so at least I got accepted there! So far, I'm still waiting to hear from everywhere else:

• Wayne State
  • DePaul
  • University of Minnesota
  • University of Oklahoma
  • University of Nebraska
  • Bowling Green
  • University of Akron
  • Florida International University
  • Portland State University
  • University of South Florida
Edited by Arseni

I've heard back from the University of New Haven for an I/O masters. It's my backup so at least I got accepted there! So far, I'm still waiting to hear from everywhere else:

• Wayne State
  • DePaul
  • University of Oklahoma
  • University of Nebraska
  • Bowling Green
  • University of Akron

If you don't mind me asking, which school is your top pick?

• Wayne State
  • DePaul
  • University of Oklahoma
  • University of Nebraska
  • Bowling Green
  • University of Akron

Hi,

I'm also preparing for Fall 2015 and would you mind if I ask you to share your stats. At least it ll give me an idea about the scores required in GRE to secure admission.

I appreciate your effort in advance.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Michigan State sent out offers.  And so begins the I/O season!

Best of luck to everyone!

Didn't apply there, but at least some schools are starting to wake up now!  I'm about ready to chew my own arm off over here...

It's hard to believe a few programs just now had their deadlines today.  I submitted everything before Christmas, applying to schools with Dec 1, Dec 15, and Jan 15 deadlines (I wanted my holiday to actually BE a holiday without thinking about applications), and I'm already dying with anticipation...

Here's to a few more weeks of waiting, everyone! :)

Looks like Penn State is calling invitees to their visiting weekend.  Just got off the phone with my POI.  Very excited to go out there and check out the program!

They are inviting 11 applicants.

I thought it was going to be a phone interview so I prepped for that.  I was a little caught off guard that it wasn't one.  Hope I didn't sound too awkward on the phone!

Edited by Bren2014

Looks like Penn State is calling invitees to their visiting weekend.  Just got off the phone with my POI.  Very excited to go out there and check out the program!

I thought it was going to be a phone interview so I prepped for that.  I was a little caught off guard that it wasn't one.  Hope I didn't sound too awkward on the phone!

Nice! Good luck, Bren!

Wow, Congrats! I'm surprised though - I thought IO Psychology generally doesn't interview? Maybe I was completely wrong about that, but I somehow got that impression...

Wow, Congrats! I'm surprised though - I thought IO Psychology generally doesn't interview? Maybe I was completely wrong about that, but I somehow got that impression...

Thanks Roebuck and Maziana!

Maziana,

You are correct; most I/O programs don't interview.  Penn State is one exception.  I think there may be a couple of others that invite a few applicants out.

Thanks Roebuck and Maziana!

Maziana,

You are correct; most I/O programs don't interview.  Penn State is one exception.  I think there may be a couple of others that invite a few applicants out.

Ahh, ok! That makes sense!

Also, since I appreciate updates so much, I will give one to Minnesota applicants! We should hear back from UMinn in 12-14 days!! My POI called me! I'm so excited/hopeful!

Looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks! If you have any questions let me know.

Oh, I should probably note that some faculty are faster than others for PSU for making calls. I think last year they did it over like the course of a week, and that had nothing to do with applicant rankings or ability or whatever. So just because you haven't received a phone call doesn't mean you're not necessarily going to. Things are just a bit chaotic right now with classes starting, proposals, and travel.

I know this can be a stressful time for people. Try to take some time to relax and have fun.

Ahh, ok! That makes sense!

Also, since I appreciate updates so much, I will give one to Minnesota applicants! We should hear back from UMinn in 12-14 days!! My POI called me! I'm so excited/hopeful!

That's awesome, Maziana!  I heard from mine from there today as well.  :)  I hope we both have good news to share in a couple of weeks!

Looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks! If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks, Paige!  Looking forward to meeting you as well! I'm really excited to talk with the faculty and students and check out the program!

An update for anyone applying to Georgia Tech: I received an email from my POI a couple of weeks ago saying they'd be finishing up the selection process within a week or two. Since the two week mark has passed, I'm guessing we could hear back any day now! :)

Congratulations to everyone who's started hearing back already! We're in the home stretch. It's so exciting!

Hi guys! First time poster here. Applied to 8 PhD programs: 

Colorado State

George Mason University

Portland State University

USF-Tampa

St. Louis University

University of Akron

North Illinois University

Rice

Just curious about everyone's research interests! I'm really interested in older adults in the workplace and issues related to older workers. Anybody else have an idea of what they want to research?

Hi guys! First time poster here. Applied to 8 PhD programs: 

Colorado State

George Mason University

Portland State University

USF-Tampa

St. Louis University

University of Akron

North Illinois University

Rice

Just curious about everyone's research interests! I'm really interested in older adults in the workplace and issues related to older workers. Anybody else have an idea of what they want to research?

Welcome, TCMH (hope you don't mind; your user name is long :) )!

I'm applying to a couple of the same programs as you, but my research interests are different.  (Stated in general terms, I'm more into individual differences (personality, motivation) and their relationships with such things as leadership, CWBs.) 

Good luck with your applications and please keep us posted as you hear back from places!