Question about preparing for a PhD in NT/ Patristics

musicfor18

Hey everyone. I've lurked on here for a little bit, checking in every now and then, but I'm in need of a little guidance and I'm hoping the braintrust here might be able to help me out a bit.

I've just entered an MDiv program at Union Theological Seminary, but through a bit of thinking and figuring things out here feel like MA may be a better fit for me since it has become relatively clear to me that I intend to pursue an academic career. I know there is an interesting debate between getting an MA versus getting an MDiv before a PhD but that isn't really my concern right now since I feel like I've sorted that out for myself at this point. I'm wondering, in light of my desire to change into the MA program, if you all think UTS is a smart place for me to get an MA or if I should consider transferring to another school in preparation for a PhD at top programs (I recognize this is broad--Harvard, Yale, UChicago level schools for the sake of conversation).

I'm still zoning in on my exact area of interest, but Christian origins, NT, and Patristics are all of interest. If anyone has programs or schools to consider broadly for those, that would also be helpful. I have a BA (summa cum laude) in Classics from University of New Hampshire, 4 years of Greek, 2 years of college Latin (3 years of High school), and 2 years of Hittite. I'm taking Hebrew right now and plan on taking it for at least 2 more semesters in my Master's program, as well as getting reading competency in German or French.

I guess in some ways my question is about how significant "the name" of your previous institution is when applying to these programs. While I don't think Union has a bad name or anything, I have very seldom seen it mentioned on these boards and does not seem to necessarily rank in the same kind of conversation as places like YDS, HDS, PTS, or Duke.

Also, Union has a weird grading system that makes me wonder how it would translate to an application. We don't have an A-B-C system here, but "credit with distinction", "credit", and "marginal credit." CD is something like 94-100, CR 75-93, and MC 74-60. I haven't yet received grades back for the semester yet, but if GPA is a big part of the application process, it makes me feel a little uneasy that A- and C+ are given the same score.

What do you think is the smartest move for someone in my position? Stay at Union, learn languages, do well, and make good connections with the scholars that are here (John McGuckin and Brigitte Kahl are two that seem really good and well published)? Or try to find a better known program elsewhere?

many thanks!

Mike

Since you are already at Union I would stay, unless you can't find anyone to work with. You may also consider some of the programs at Columbia (I remember them having some sort of interdisciplinary MA program for classics/religion). Because it is quite common for folks to get two masters, you may finish up there and then get a ThM (after the MA) at one of the 'big' schools you mention above. Also, I have met several Union grads at top programs. It has a good reputation and I see no reason for you to leave, especially if you are going to another school to take intro Hebrew, etc. The grass is always greener my friend. 

And in response to ND's ECS. Yes, you might as well apply to some of those programs, mostly because they are fully funded. But, considering that program is as competitive as many PhD programs, I would not count on getting in without good reason (faculty, fit, etc.).

And in response to ND's ECS. Yes, you might as well apply to some of those programs, mostly because they are fully funded. But, considering that program is as competitive as many PhD programs, I would not count on getting in without good reason (faculty, fit, etc.).

This is true. Although, I suspect an admissions committee might like musicfor18's language preparation? But still, you are correct in this.

Thanks for your responses! I really appreciate it. The ND program does seem cool, but life factors do also play a role in this so I'm going to have to figure out if it's actually realistic for me to move elsewhere in the next year. Stay well!